Blizzard Defends Always-Online For Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
You need online security for when you play online. Anything other than that is stupid and inconvenient.
Yes, and an offline mode in the way it is handled in, I'm pretty sure, every other game is detrimental to that security. All you need is in the rest of the thread but I'll give you the gist of it. Basically, giving a would-be hacker access to the whole game(ie. offline mode) allows them to understand how the game works much faster than if they didn't have it. Keeping all that stuff on a secure server means that they are doing guesswork and by the time they stumble upon anything worthwhile the banhammer would be incoming. So all in all always online is much more secure than having an offline mode as well. It keeps legitimate players in a hack-free environment and it stops hackers making absurd profits from cheating. I won't say there's no negatives involved but the positives of just this line of reasoning outweighs them. If you want more, go read the rest of the thread.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
black_knight1337 said:
Just quoting for attention
Hey, I was just thinking about the offline Diablo 3 on console. Couldn't they use the files on that disk or console for hacking? Or do you have to download some of it first before playing the console version? I only just heard about it because of this thread so I don't know much on that.

This is for everyone, not just black knight

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
00slash00 said:
weirdguy said:
Oh, okay. So, it's not a matter that people were promised things that didn't happen, it's just that they BOUGHT THE WRONG GAME. Sorry, folks! Should have just gotten something else. Maybe Path of Exile? Torchlight?

Mystery solved! Everybody go home now.
Don't both those games also require internet? They may not be the best examples
well, path of exile is free, and their release crunch was resolved within a few days, and torchlight 2 gives you the choice between offline, internet, and lan play(torchlight is a loner exclusive affair), so

i guess it's up to personal preference

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Nazulu said:
Hey, I was just thinking about the offline Diablo 3 on console. Couldn't they use the files on that disk or console for hacking? Or do you have to download some of it first before playing the console version? I only just heard about it because of this thread so I don't know much on that.

This is for everyone, not just black knight
Doubt it. Both the ps3 and 360 haven't got emulators yet so I doubt there is enough known yet to create any decent hacks. And then because of the differences in architecture and processes I doubt there'd be that much that could apply to the PC version anyway.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Again. It doesn't matter to me, because I would never play Diablo offline anyway. I remember the Diablo 2 launch, I played with a character offline for five hours and decided to try multiplayer, and I never went back to offline play again.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nazulu said:
I can't believe I'm finally talking to someone who's played Lineage 2 here. Were you there at the beginning before chronicle 1? It was really crazy then. Especially when I first died by 2 guys named Fuck and You. lol

I didn't bot in Lineage 2 so maybe that's why it felt like a long time to level sometimes. I mostly worked with a big clan and sometimes it took them awhile to get there shit together.

Strazdas said:
snipping myself, what sorcery is this!
I get the gist of your post, just some little things I don't understand. What is Lt and Tibia?

I guess your somone got really unlucky or od like to know the name of that game.
I don't completely get this either.
To be honest i really dont remmeber the subtitle of the versions i played. it was long ago. It was 2005 give or take a few years so i hope you can dissect it from the date more. I know i had to download some sort of "Expansion" thingy while playing it though back then i wasnt smart enough to really understand what it was that i downloaded there.
Yeah musht have been experience. I havent seen Fuck and You yet, but the Your mom thing is popular, especially when game has mechanics to tell you what killed you and it ends up "You have been killed by Your Mom" or "Your mom just got fried".

Lt should have been "let". Its missing and e.
Tibia is the name of the oldest graphical MMO in existence. It is still running. It is also a game i played the most of all.

That last line your quoted was in response to the story you told about person being caught instantly after cheating. Either it got really unlucky or i would like to know name of a game that has such effective system.

Schmeiser said:
Am i missing something here? I mean im really confused. People are talking about people hacking their SP game then transfering that hacked char into online and ruining everyone's experience. I'm not a tech wizard or a game dev but what's wrong with making an offline mode and a online mode, THEN not allowing offline chars to be played online and THEN not allowing online chars played offline aswell. Is that possible? Because i sure as hell do think it is possible, so hack your own game who gives a fuck, you can only play solo anyway. So we make both communities happy, i would buy d3 instantly if it had a offline mode, i couldn't give a rats ass if i can't play my offline char online. It's not hard to lvl multiple chars.

So much drama in this thread
Some people here, including the game devs, seem t think that then answer is no.

black_knight1337 said:
Like I said to someone before, those are not the kind of hacks I'm talking about. Simply storing the characters online prevents that kind of thing. The hacks I'm talking about include things like duping and map hacks. If you provide players with an offline mode without recoding the entire thing(forcing production costs skyward) then these kind of things will always happen.
Duping is impossible in online game if loot is determined on the server. And if players dupe in offline mode - let them. the characters are serperate. You would have to clarify about map hacks and what is meant there. ability to see whole map? that should have been a basic feature to begin with.
You dont need to recode offline mode, all you need os simulate the same server responses locally. that is coding a bit, but not skyward production costs level. and you would also sell a lot more copies, which means your income will also raise.
Big problem with your example. It's a mmo. Mmos are purely online, hence why that kind of security is possible. Diablo 3 employs the same kind of methods.
And yet you can make MMO play offline (think: private servers, server emulation done by pirates). I have the example of easy to see good way of controlling online game agaisnt hackers while all game mechanics are publicly known.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, care to clarify? Is this for the online variant or the offline one? I'm thinking it's the offline one. If so you aren't solving any of the issues. You're still giving the player access to code which compromises the security of the online variant. To keep the online variant secure it needs to be significantly different from the offline variant. At the very least the programming team would pretty much double which of course pushes up development costs forcing higher prices or lower margins per copy.
It is for offline mode. It does not conmpromise security of online mode, because in order to modify such code they would need to hack into the main server, which would give them acess to said code anyway. It does not need to be different, it needs to be online.

black_knight1337 said:
Yes, and an offline mode in the way it is handled in, I'm pretty sure, every other game is detrimental to that security. All you need is in the rest of the thread but I'll give you the gist of it. Basically, giving a would-be hacker access to the whole game(ie. offline mode) allows them to understand how the game works much faster than if they didn't have it. Keeping all that stuff on a secure server means that they are doing guesswork and by the time they stumble upon anything worthwhile the banhammer would be incoming. So all in all always online is much more secure than having an offline mode as well. It keeps legitimate players in a hack-free environment and it stops hackers making absurd profits from cheating. I won't say there's no negatives involved but the positives of just this line of reasoning outweighs them. If you want more, go read the rest of the thread.
To simplify, your claiming that knowing the process locally would help hackers to hack into the mainframe?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Strazdas said:
Nazulu said:
I can't believe I'm finally talking to someone who's played Lineage 2 here. Were you there at the beginning before chronicle 1? It was really crazy then. Especially when I first died by 2 guys named Fuck and You. lol

I didn't bot in Lineage 2 so maybe that's why it felt like a long time to level sometimes. I mostly worked with a big clan and sometimes it took them awhile to get there shit together.

Strazdas said:
I get the gist of your post, just some little things I don't understand. What is Lt and Tibia?

I guess your somone got really unlucky or od like to know the name of that game.
To be honest i really dont remmeber the subtitle of the versions i played. it was long ago. It was 2005 give or take a few years so i hope you can dissect it from the date more. I know i had to download some sort of "Expansion" thingy while playing it though back then i wasnt smart enough to really understand what it was that i downloaded there.
Yeah musht have been experience. I havent seen Fuck and You yet, but the Your mom thing is popular, especially when game has mechanics to tell you what killed you and it ends up "You have been killed by Your Mom" or "Your mom just got fried".

Tibia is the name of the oldest graphical MMO in existence. It is still running. It is also a game i played the most of all.

That last line your quoted was in response to the story you told about person being caught instantly after cheating. Either it got really unlucky or i would like to know name of a game that has such effective system.
Ah, Ok. Yeah, it sounds like a different game, though Lineage 2 did have some big expansions come out every year.

Strange how I missed Tibia, I thought you were just talking about a server or something. I know of Meridian, Ultima Online and Mu Online, but it seems there was a lot more that I missed out on.

Anyway, that story goes for 2 games and one was Mu Online (after they had a hack crisis) and the other was an early hack and slash back in 2005, I think. It just had a one word title. I thought it was called Vanguard or Ragnarok, but that's not it at all. I'm still looking for it.

They did have a very effective system but Mu Online is nothing like it used to be.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nazulu said:
Strazdas said:
Nazulu said:

Strazdas said:

Ah, Ok. Yeah, it sounds like a different game, though Lineage 2 did have some big expansions come out every year.

Strange how I missed Tibia, I thought you were just talking about a server or something. I know of Meridian, Ultima Online and Mu Online, but it seems there was a lot more that I missed out on.

Anyway, that story goes for 2 games and one was Mu Online (after they had a hack crisis) and the other was an early hack and slash back in 2005, I think. It just had a one word title. I thought it was called Vanguard or Ragnarok, but that's not it at all. I'm still looking for it.

They did have a very effective system but Mu Online is nothing like it used to be.
Yeah, many people missed tibia. At its peak it had a record of less than 65.000 players online at the same time so it wasnt that known. Ultima is much more famous, and msot people think that is the first graphical MMO, when in fact Tibia has beat it by couple months.
I have heard good things about Mu but never tried myself.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Strazdas said:
Yeah, many people missed tibia. At its peak it had a record of less than 65.000 players online at the same time so it wasnt that known. Ultima is much more famous, and msot people think that is the first graphical MMO, when in fact Tibia has beat it by couple months.
I have heard good things about Mu but never tried myself.
It was a very pretty MMO at the time, and it had a good range of skills, mounts and wings to choose from. The only thing is the game only had a couple of quests and it was centered around team work and shopping. It took me ages to get to level 200.

Anyway, after the first year they were hacked completely and unfortunately many peoples accounts were broken into and lost a fair amount of items. After that though, they really made the rules strict as hell and my friend was just trying to use this basic hack to triple his damage and they cut him after 2 hours! I was the only one with him so I don't how it happened. I noticed some other people trying to dupe and what not, but it just all disappeared after that and I never saw any hackers again.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Strazdas said:
Duping is impossible in online game if loot is determined on the server. And if players dupe in offline mode - let them. the characters are serperate. You would have to clarify about map hacks and what is meant there. ability to see whole map? that should have been a basic feature to begin with.
Yes, at it's most basic that is what a map hack is but they typically include more features like enemy locations, chest locations etc. But no, that shouldn't be a basic feature. One of the cornerstones of the genre is the way it randomises the environment which keeps you on your toes because you don't know what is around each corner. Having the whole map revealed all the time removes this almost completely.

You dont need to recode offline mode, all you need os simulate the same server responses locally. that is coding a bit, but not skyward production costs level. and you would also sell a lot more copies, which means your income will also raise.
You're right, that wouldn't affect production costs that much. However, that compromises security for the online portion because a copy of the server is stored locally.

And yet you can make MMO play offline (think: private servers, server emulation done by pirates). I have the example of easy to see good way of controlling online game agaisnt hackers while all game mechanics are publicly known.
So you bring pirating in which isn't all that relevant. If you need to cite hacks to provide evidence of hack-free games then you're doing something wrong.

It is for offline mode. It does not conmpromise security of online mode, because in order to modify such code they would need to hack into the main server, which would give them acess to said code anyway. It does not need to be different, it needs to be online.
Modifying server code isn't the only way you can hack and is in fact one of the rarer forms. I don't think the mods would appreciate it if I went into to much detail so I'll just point you towards packets.

black_knight1337 said:
To simplify, your claiming that knowing the process locally would help hackers to hack into the mainframe?
Not into, because there would be different security measures there. But I'll point you at the bit above, that's the main thing. And it's a simple concept, if you have easy access to the software then it becomes significantly easier to hack. This is because you can test different methods and immediately see what they do with no risks whatsoever. If they don't have it locally then they have to do all that online. By doing it online, the developers of the software will be aware of what they are doing and before they can make significant headway they can cut off their access.

This stuff doesn't just apply to games, it applies to all forms of computer security. The more you can hide from would-be hackers, the securer your system will be.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Man, Blizzard is on fire.

"Hearthstone won't have trading because sometimes people make bad trades and then they're sad."

"RoS won't have offline play because 10+ years ago a handful of people were confused when D2 segregated offline and online characters."

Apparently I'm six years old. And stupid.

I'd have a LOT more respect for them if they had just said "we want people to buy card packs" and "we don't want anyone to pirate our game".

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
So the argument is that someone might be able to gain a slight advantage by accessing the PC files
If that's the case, the solution would be to change the infrastructure for the files of an offline mode, so even if they got the files, they wouldn't matter.....Like they did for the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

They already have hacks for the 360 console version. Blizzard doesn't care, so it's true that it won't affect PC users.

In short, Blizzard is either too lazy or concerned with money to make separate version of the game, or they just want to strong arm PC users into being online.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
ehh, i see this argument, but for me it all comes back to the responsibility of the one making a choice.
in this case, they took our choice, made it themselves, and therefore they are responsible.

if i get a choice between online and offline, any complains about me not being able to play online are caused by my choice, and thus my responsibility. (slow servers etc, are still the responsibility of blizzard)

so in short - give me the goddamn choice back, and then choose to ignore my complaints.

choice and complaints - you either give me the first, or get the second.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
So the argument is that someone might be able to gain a slight advantage by accessing the PC files
If that's the case, the solution would be to change the infrastructure for the files of an offline mode, so even if they got the files, they wouldn't matter.....Like they did for the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

They already have hacks for the 360 console version. Blizzard doesn't care, so it's true that it won't affect PC users.

In short, Blizzard is either too lazy or concerned with money to make separate version of the game, or they just want to strong arm PC users into being online.
Correct, to provide an offline mode without compromising the online mode they would need to code it in a completely different way. The thing is though, is that Blizzard are a business just like everyone else. Doing that for the PC version would add a considerable amount to the development costs because they'd effectively be making two games but selling them as one. This kind of change is fine for console versions because they are recoding it once and selling it once.

And the thing is, what you've said isn't really an 'anti-Blizzard' kind of comment. The same thing could be applied to any other developer making multiplayer games with single player functionality, just in reverse(ie. Saying they're lazy/money-hungry because they don't go all out on protecting the security of their multiplayer).

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
No offence but this is one of the dumbest things I've heard in relation to this debate. Diablo III is not an MMO. The game has been cracked. It is available 100% offline and has been pretty much since it came out. Once the game is cracked any would be 'hacker' has full access anyway. You act like the game is some kind of secure, bank like trading environment or a very competitive multiplayer environment. It is neither. It's an old fashioned co-op RPG. Modifying your characters is the basis of many games like this once you reach endgame. Hell as I've already said Runic games gave everyone access to the console commands to test out items/builds/mods at their leisure.
Care to pm me proof then? I keep my eye on the sites that are almost always at the forefront of this kind of thing and there hasn't been anything there since the beta. People always enquire about it there but the response is always along the lines of "it's only for the beta. The core group that was working on it have either abandoned it or gone private".