Blizzard Denies Milking StarCraft II

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It sounds like they realized Dawn of War 2 was going to be more innovative than their linear tri-campaign game and just couldn't stand being one upped at their own genre.

Good luck Blizzard, you're gonna need it.
I smiled. You know, when you compare zerg and tyranids...

and eldar and protoss...

oh, and terran and space marine...

What I'm trying to say is, Starcraft is a huge rip off of Warhammer 40k in the first place.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Frederf said:
I've played plenty of RTSs with 2-3-4 races where there were 2-3-4 campaigns, all for the original purchase price.

I understand selling stuff separately but I guarantee you it goes like this:

Sandwhich: $7

or you can but it

Bread: $1.50
Lettuce: $1.00
Meat: $3.00
Cheese $2.50

Oh look the total for the parts is $8.00. WHAT A SHOCK. It's simple psychology that you will sell more product at 3 payments of $20 than one payment of $50. People are stupid and like lower numbers after $ signs.

Take all the prices for all the Starcraft III SKUs and add them up and then look at the total product. Hmm, is this worth $120? (or whatever it will be). That's how you charge more and give less.

Umm...you -do- know with those ingredients you can make -several- sandwiches? I mean...who the hell pays $1.50 for two slices of bread? 0_o You can buy a whole loaf for that. And a whole head of lettuce, several slices of ham and a block of cheese for what's listed there. The only reason people by the whole packaged sandwiches for $7 is convenience. Not that it's cheaper, which, in most cases it isn't.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
GothmogII said:
Frederf said:
I've played plenty of RTSs with 2-3-4 races where there were 2-3-4 campaigns, all for the original purchase price.

or you can but it

Cheese $2.50

Oh look the total for the parts is $8.00. WHAT A SHOCK. It's simple psychology that you will sell more product at 3 payments of $20 than one payment of $50. People are stupid and like lower numbers after $ signs.

Take all the prices for all the Starcraft III SKUs and add them up and then look at the total product. Hmm, is this worth $120? (or whatever it will be). That's how you charge more and give less.

Umm...you -do- know with those ingredients you can make -several- sandwiches? I mean...who the hell pays $1.50 for two slices of bread? 0_o You can buy a whole loaf for that. And a whole head of lettuce, several slices of ham and a block of cheese for what's listed there. The only reason people by the whole packaged sandwiches for $7 is convenience. Not that it's cheaper, which, in most cases it isn't.
^ This. Ingredients are almost always the cheaper option, you just have to bother buying them and taking them home and sometimes you simply can't be arsed or you want a sandwich right there and then and it's far easier to just buy a ready made stuff for a larger price tag.

Jackpot said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
It sounds like they realized Dawn of War 2 was going to be more innovative than their linear tri-campaign game and just couldn't stand being one upped at their own genre.

and eldar and protoss...

What I'm trying to say is, Starcraft is a huge rip off of Warhammer 40k in the first place.
facepalm.jpg. Seriously. Did you even bother reading up about this? I'm fairly certain both Blizzard and GW are already far more aware of any sort of IP infringement than you are, what with the legions of properly trained lawyers they have at their beck-and-call. Is it a rip off? Yeah, probably so. Does that for some reason cheapen the series and make it less good than it otherwise would be if it weren't a rip off? Of course not. Starcraft is its own universe with its own rules, just like 40K is. Sure, one's a horse and one's a zebra but they're still different animals.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Jackpot said:
L.B. Jeffries said:

and eldar and protoss...

With the death of Westwood, Blizzard is pretty much the reigning champ of RTS games. Dunno about a rip off beyond aesthetics, Warhammer 40k is much more intelligent and thought provoking than Starcraft.

Stryknine

Nov 14, 2008
You do realize that those sandwiches will last longer then the $7 one?
My guess, so will Starcraft 2. Much longer.

Sounds as if people are whining just because they will actually have to pay for something.
It's a company. It's nothing like the toothfairy. They have to pay their employees.
A game costs to develope and program, not to mention support it's customers.

Blizzard still haven't let me down since the first day of Orcs and Humans.
I really don't think they are about to start now.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Imitation Saccharin said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
But that doesn't mean they based the choice on it.
The claim is it wasn't even part of the discussion.

CantFaketheFunk said:
They can have realized they'll make more money and still have it not a factor in the choice.
Then they are stupid.
Hardly. Here, take this for an example:

I'm buying a new pair of headphones when my old one broke, and I have to choose between two of them. One is more expensive - it doesn't matter how much more - and might have slightly better sound quality/better microphone for gaming. However, I've played with that headset before, and I know that the earphones are uncomfortable and actually hurt my ears after wearing them for about 45 minutes. So, I end up buying the other, more comfortable pair... that HAPPENS to be cheaper.

It doesn't matter how much more expensive the other pair is - $5, $20, $50. Yes, by buying the cheaper pair I am saving money that I can now spend on other things. But that doesn't matter, and it wasn't ever part of the decision. I would have bought the more comfortable pair over the one that makes my ears hurt ANY day, and the fact that I get the cheaper one is just a nice side affect.

So yes, Blizzard can certainly realize that the trilogy will likely be more lucrative (HOW much more lucrative, we have no way of knowing until the pricing is announced), but it was irrelevant. Say they sell all three at $20 apiece - if someone buys all three, they get $60, which is more than they'd have made with a single $50 dollar game. But whether the extra revenue is $10 more, $15 more, $30 more, whatever... the point was not to profit, but to make a better game.

They'd be doing the trilogy whether they made a huge net gain, a small net gain, or broke even, because it'll make it closer to what they actually want to do.
CantFaketheFunk said:
Er, honestly it's just something I know having followed their games closely over the years.
Wikipedia disagrees with your claim on Starcraft Ghost, although the veracity of that source is questionable.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Warcraft_Adventures:_Lord_of_the_Clans

There we go. Warcraft Adventures shows more my point than SC:G anyway, because WCA was practically complete at the time they canned it.

Here's the Blizz press release in response to a petition to bring the game back:

[blockquote]Blizzard Announcement ? 22 May 1998
Press Desk: Blizzard Cancels Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans

Blizzard wants to take a minute to respond to the Warcraft Adventures petition that is circulating on the Internet. First, we want to express our gratitude to the Warcraft fans that took the time to organize such an effort. We recognize that the cancellation of Warcraft Adventures has disappointed some of our customers, and we appreciate that they have shared their opinions with us.

Secondly, we want let you know that stopping development was not a decision that was taken lightly. It was a hard call to make, but each of us knows that it was the right choice. The cancellation was not a business or marketing decision or even a statement about the adventure genre. The decision centered around the level of value that we want to give our customers. In essence, it was a case of stepping up and really proving to ourselves and gamers that we will not sell out on the quality of our games.

And finally, we hope that Warcraft fans will consider our track record and trust our judgement on ending the project. The cancellation of Warcraft Adventures does not signal the demise of Azeroth. We have every intention of returning to the Warcraft world because there are still chapters to be told. We will keep you informed as we announce future Warcraft plans. [/blockquote]

CantFaketheFunk said:
But they recognized that keeping their reputation was worth taking that loss.
Yes, to keep making a profit later that is worth more then the resultantly dampened opinion.
The value goes beyond the financial bottom line here. :p

CantFaketheFunk said:
Even after years with the company, he told me, he was still struck by how often *that* was the mandate - the player gets the best experience we can give them - rather than "how can we make the most money?"
I doubt your story, but cannot disprove it except to say I request no more unverified objective statements please.
Oh, my story is very much true - just not naming names to respect my acquaintance's privacy. It all boils down to whether or not you trust what *he* told me - and I see absolutely no reason not to.

"Unverified objective statements"? This is a discussion, and the only thing that'd really fall under that would be the WCA/SC:G claim, that I've now backed up :p Otherwise, I have nothing to gain from lying to you; Blizzard ain't paying me to do anything. They're just a game studio that I respect tremendously, and in speaking with the people who work there, I absolutely believe that it's wholly possible to take them at their word.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I support CantFaketheFunk's view entirely.

"This is just a case of bad PR on Blizzard's part. I'll admit that Blizzard's PR is crappy though.

With today's gaming industry moving towards difficult and nearly impossible deadlines and development cycles, we customers should expect to see a lot more of this. Larger game projects will less likely be released as one complete game, but as separate installments.

Now I have no doubt in my mind that each of the 3 campaigns will be much longer and much more interesting then those found in StarCraft 1. If that means purchasing each subsequent campaign as an expansion pack, then so be it."

Quoting myself from the Gamespy comments section about the subject.

Dec 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
So, I end up buying the other, more comfortable pair... that HAPPENS to be cheaper.

Because you don't have a mandate to make money.
A company does.

Hence they are stupid or lying.

CantFaketheFunk said:
"Unverified objective statements"? This is a discussion, and the only thing that'd really fall under that would be the...
So would "I have a friend who supports my claim X"

CantFaketheFunk said:
WCA/SC:G claim
I will accept this claim has been verified.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Otherwise, I have nothing to gain from lying to you; Blizzard ain't paying me to do anything.
I cannot verify this.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Paul Sams said:
There was never, ever a conversation where we said 'let's do this because we're going to make more money'
I'm sure they didn't. They want to make quality games. They had too much content they wanted to fit into one game and were thinking of how to adress that. Then Vivendi gave them a deadline and they came up with this.
Despite intent, it still is milking the game, imo.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
So, I end up buying the other, more comfortable pair... that HAPPENS to be cheaper.

Because you don't have a mandate to make money.
A company does.

Hence they are stupid or lying.

CantFaketheFunk said:
"Unverified objective statements"? This is a discussion, and the only thing that'd really fall under that would be the...
So would "I have a friend who supports my claim X"

CantFaketheFunk said:
WCA/SC:G claim
I will accept this claim has been verified.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Otherwise, I have nothing to gain from lying to you; Blizzard ain't paying me to do anything.
I cannot verify this.
The Failboys are out in force today, weee!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
The Failboys are out in force today, weee!
Well I thought CantFakeTheFunk was doing a solid job presenting his side of the arguement.
Was kinda talking about you man... you honestly think it's possible Blizzard is paying cantfakethefunk? ...Man, I wonder how you get a gig like that.

Alright, a bit harsh maybe, your present concise and clearly thought out arguments. Your concerns are legitimate and I apologize for insinuating you are a failboy.

I still believe in Blizzard. Yes We Can and crap like that. We'll have to see how they do.

Dec 1, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Was kinda talking about you man...
You said "boys" as in plural.

TsunamiWombat said:
you honestly think it's possible Blizzard is paying cantfakethefunk?
I believe I cannot discount that possibility.

TsunamiWombat said:
Alright, a bit harsh maybe, your present concise and clearly thought out arguments. Your concerns are legitimate and I apologize for insinuating you are a failboy.
No offense, but the fun of forum posting is the debate. People's opinions are largely incidental.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
GothmogII said:
Frederf said:

or you can but it

Cheese $2.50

*FACEPALM* You totally missed the point of my analogy. I was showing how the exact same product sold in many parts is almost always more expensive than the package deal. I was inferring that all those individual components (bread, lettuce) were exactly the same quantity as those found in the complete sandwich.

I can see that analogy was too complicated. I'll try for one more direct. Take Valve's Orange Box. The Orange Box costs what? $60? What do you spend if you try to buy all the components of Orange Box a la carte? Substantially more ($90? Just a guess).

What I'm getting at is that splitting up a product into more pieces means you can charge more for each piece. I have a $60 game here but if I split it up into 3x $30 chunks I will sell just as many if not more and make more money.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I was inferring that all those individual components (bread, lettuce) were exactly the same quantity as those found in the complete sandwich.
Except they're not, your analogy is inherently flawed. It costs $1.50 for a full loaf of bread, whereas for a single slice it'd be, what, a couple of cents? Your analogy fails because they're not the same quantity, you can infer all you like but you failed to state that. As it stands at the moment you'd buy everything at your price and make about 10-15 sandwiches out of it, likely with a few bits and bobs left over, all for only slightly more than it'd cost you to buy one ready made thing.

What I'm getting at is that splitting up a product into more pieces means you can charge more for each piece. I have a $60 game here but if I split it up into 3x $30 chunks I will sell just as many if not more and make more money.
You're paying $30 for a $30 game. In the case of Valve's Orange Box you got incredible value that you wouldn't normally find elsewhere, that was undoubtedly a special case and people give them (deserved) praise for it. As it stands at the moment, Blizzard have stated that you'll pay for what you get and until the release day neither you nor I can prove otherwise.

If it makes you feel any better, just treat the Terran Campaign as the full SC2 and the Zerg+Protoss bits as expansions. That is, essentially what they are. Standalone expansions. I have no idea why people are suddenly complaining about paying full price for a full game.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
*Facepalm idiots...

If you make more than one game someone will scream their head off and say "MILK!"