Blizzard Dev Offers Apology for Response to Sexualization Question

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Dragonbums said:
It's very possible to make sexy yet reasonable designs for women. Any artist that tells you otherwise are either lying, or need to go back to design school.
Well that prety much sums up anything I was going to say. Outfits should be designed with the characters in first, which can be sexy latex if it makes sense, like bayonetta for instance.

If it's there just for attention then its not really trying to be anything important or interesting, which can work just fine as you could still make a fun game, its only really bad to me when it pops up in games that takes story and characters seriously without context. That's just silly.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
I don't look at indie games as mid-budget. I look at games on consoles (not so much PC as that'd include indie games which are extremely low budget for a game) that doesn't get advertisement as mid-budget, or so because there's not enough budget to even have a TV commercial. That said, there's quite a few mid budget games to me.
I'll just say that those aren't necessarily midbudget titles. TV commercials aren't as ubiquitous in gaming marketing as movie.

Rebel_Raven said:
The "whole lot less" part is the problem for me, and no doubt many others.
I agree. I think games(and movies I suppose, though I'm not much of a movie person) need more variety in general. I'm just saying that the comparison of Games to Movies in terms of representation and variety has a lot to do with games lacking a strong middle ground between Big Budget and Indie.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
infinity_turtles said:
Rebel_Raven said:
I don't look at indie games as mid-budget. I look at games on consoles (not so much PC as that'd include indie games which are extremely low budget for a game) that doesn't get advertisement as mid-budget, or so because there's not enough budget to even have a TV commercial. That said, there's quite a few mid budget games to me.
I'll just say that those aren't necessarily midbudget titles. TV commercials aren't as ubiquitous in gaming marketing as movie.

Rebel_Raven said:
The "whole lot less" part is the problem for me, and no doubt many others.
I agree. I think games(and movies I suppose, though I'm not much of a movie person) need more variety in general. I'm just saying that the comparison of Games to Movies in terms of representation and variety has a lot to do with games lacking a strong middle ground between Big Budget and Indie.
We'll have to agree to disagree on commercials. I think it's pretty likely a game that gets commercials will do well enough to get a sequel because people are far more likely to know the game exists.
Games that can't afford tv commercials, but aren't horribly made, or indie are my middle ground.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
I offer my support when I can to help.

Lemme ask you the same question. What have -you- done?

Complaining is about all some people can do, not for being lazy, or anything, but because they have limits of ability and/or resources and/or knowledge.
A great idea in a crap game, nevermind a game that isn't created to potential is a wasted idea. And that's if they even have a good idea to begin with. You can't just pop out a game and fix everything.
And pretending ONE game will satisfy a person is ludicrious. So what ever you think it takes to make a game, multiply it.
True but Rebel I gotta say this suggestion and the highlighting of the situation as a whole isn't a bad thing. I know we disagree but I still say it comes down to a cycle of popularity in the more prominent games and how they cater to the female audience than, there are no or only damaging portrayals of ladies. And without the santimony of the crusade (not you because discuss stuff) it certainly seems to be getting better.
Also well at some point you run into the fact people can be irrational even with a genuine grievance. NOT YOU. NOT ALL "WOMEN" More the whole social justice of tumblr.
Like the recent harassment from Greenlight THAT is some newsprint worthy shit that deserves the shame and decry. I don't know how best to respond without *adding* to the artist's stress or reward the harasser with more notoriety butthe coverage there.. fair and good.
the nun's in the hitman trailer? Not worth it.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Darmani said:
Rebel_Raven said:
I offer my support when I can to help.

Lemme ask you the same question. What have -you- done?

Complaining is about all some people can do, not for being lazy, or anything, but because they have limits of ability and/or resources and/or knowledge.
A great idea in a crap game, nevermind a game that isn't created to potential is a wasted idea. And that's if they even have a good idea to begin with. You can't just pop out a game and fix everything.
And pretending ONE game will satisfy a person is ludicrious. So what ever you think it takes to make a game, multiply it.
True but Rebel I gotta say this suggestion and the highlighting of the situation as a whole isn't a bad thing. I know we disagree but I still say it comes down to a cycle of popularity in the more prominent games and how they cater to the female audience than, there are no or only damaging portrayals of ladies. And without the santimony of the crusade (not you because discuss stuff) it certainly seems to be getting better.
Also well at some point you run into the fact people can be irrational even with a genuine grievance. NOT YOU. NOT ALL "WOMEN" More the whole social justice of tumblr.
Like the recent harassment from Greenlight THAT is some newsprint worthy shit that deserves the shame and decry. I don't know how best to respond without *adding* to the artist's stress or reward the harasser with more notoriety butthe coverage there.. fair and good.
the nun's in the hitman trailer? Not worth it.
I don't deny that there's people out there that are irrational. Honestly, I feel a bit irrational because I have yet to see a good reason why there's so few women in the spotlight in games, and I've been in discussions like this for years.

Yeah, the harassment of Zoe about her submitted game is pretty BS. I'm not sure what I can say about it either, cept it shouldn't happen.

The thing about the Hitman Nuns is it's not just about women, IMO, it's women dressed as women of faith, but not really thanks to their undergarments, doing things women of the faith wouldn't really do, and being slaughtered, frankly. The religious part's likely a factor, too. Especially in the bible belt of america.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
I'll put it like this, I don't agree with SabreXT on everything but he does point out how often art games are touted as changing iwth no real representation. When we're swamped with them. I think its the same with female protagonists in games. they exist they have existed and are popular. BUT the most popular games that have the widest appeal don't have them.
I do say this had gotten wierd with the format, setting, and style of the most popular ones (Call of Duty and Battlefield) on their 7th or so iteration but still no lady centered DLC or side characters when women are major fixtures in the advertisements of the games or even recruitment advertisements and news and public relations of the military itself.