Blizzard Drops the Hammer on "Inappropriate" StarCraft 2 Maps

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'd just suggest that if they have a 'support team' reviewing individual maps, then I want them doing it, not just running all map titles thru a filter and dumping anything with certain words in.

I'm a WOW guild leader, Sunken Temple Pilots, and we're casual, so when decided to splinter and create a raid guild, it seemed the obvious move to name it after the Black Temple, a then current raid in the game.

It turns out we couldn't use the word Black.

Even tho it's in the context of the name of some of their own content.

Even dafter, we COULD call the guild the 'BlackTemple Pilots', as the lack of a space got past the filter, and the GMs said they personally didn't have any problem with the name, they just couldn't change the filter. (Well, between a few of them, they said a lot of stuff, but refused to be drawn on naming policies, but that's pretty much what we got, putting the bits together.)

I'd suggest that they have two filters, one that gets things removed immediately for review later, and another that flags it for review but leaves it playable for now.

That way map titles with words like nazi,fucker, ******, rape etc can be removed for review later, and please, lets have a filter that doesn't throw out stuff containing the word grape because rape is in there.

Then ones with ass or minor offences can be seen to see if they're worthwhile, and also if it's irrelevant, 'bad ass zerg map' is different to 'look these two islands look like my ass lol', or a map designed to make rushes fail called 'zerg rush suicide' could probably be allowed thru.

In short tho, it's yet another sign that we need to mature a long way, and it's no suprise that videogaming is seen as 'kids games' by the non gamer majority, when people are using map design tools to draw cocks. didn't most of us grow out of drawing jizzing wangs on the blackboard at about the age of 6 (ok, about 15 in my case).

NOTE: Kudos to the Escapist for letting me write blackboard on top of all the other offensive terms in this post :D Again, it's relevance that matters. 'Jizzing wangs' may have been unecessary however.