Blizzard Exorcises Companion Pets From Diablo III

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Now, whether you like the change or not is your business.
Of course. Note that I didn't berate them for the change. I simply don't like it personally.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Jeez Blizzard, just turn the pets into a ghostly wisp of light or something, I liked having my own personal gold collector.
Monkeyman O said:
They should be actually working on getting the game out sometime
That's what they're doing. Instead of perfecting features they don't quite like, they're cutting them for future patches.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Make sense I guess although I would think having a pet would of been very usefeul for the Witch Doctor seeing how some of their spells make use of undead frogs and dogs.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
And thus the shoulder pads still stand.

...On a slightly related note, I can't find any news about when someone at Blizzard had a mental breakdown while drunk and wanted to delete everything.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Huh, I didn't know about the companion pets in the first place. Guess I haven't been keeping up with the D3 news.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
This article reminds me off all the little kids who sobbed about the Tau not being grimdark enough for them in 40k.

Because in this day in age if something is not Black and Grey enough people howl in utter and complete rage.

Ugh this is why I hate so many modern games with their emphasis on GRIMDARK, Black vs Grey, and utterly hopeless worlds.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I read the article from multiplayerblog.mtv and their arguments defending the art style don't feel very convincing for the most part.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
I haven't really been paying much attention to D3, so I wasn't even aware that they were planning on putting pets in to begin with.

That kind of sucks. The thought of a pet monkey running around collecting gold for me is pretty appealing.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
It doesn't matter what they put into or take away from that game; I'm still not going to buy it. Twelve years equals too long. It's a strain of Duke Nukem syndrome, there's no way it's going to live up the hype.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Seems like a weird reason, axing a whole feature because the community yammers on about if being "too cute".

Hammeroj said:
Shove your little kids rhetoric where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of Marios and Zeldas for you to go around. This is a case of a company changing the tone of a franchise completely, then pretending it's still the same. Pardon us children for not being fine with that.
Have you seen the side by side comparisons in the link?
Almost everything the community wants reads terribly which is especially unforgiveable in a 3d game since poly models tend to blend in with the environment especially well for some reason.
Also they just love to slap some retarded noise texture all over the screenies to "improve" them for some reason.
Gives a still image more texture and makes it look more interesting but as soon as it starts moving?

That would just play awful if you look at that for hours straight.

The lead designer knows what he's talking about.
Also how exactly is this "mario and zelda" by any stretch of the imagination?
This don't even look like torchlight (which was had some pretty obnoxious wow vibes all over it).

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hammeroj said:
tmande2nd said:
This article reminds me off all the little kids who sobbed about the Tau not being grimdark enough for them in 40k.

Because in this day in age if something is not Black and Grey enough people howl in utter and complete rage.

Ugh this is why I hate so many modern games with their emphasis on GRIMDARK, Black vs Grey, and utterly hopeless worlds.
Shove your little kids rhetoric where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of Marios and Zeldas for you to go around. This is a case of a company changing the tone of a franchise completely, then pretending it's still the same. Pardon us children for not being fine with that.
Ah yes fan boy over reaction at its finest.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Baresark said:
They were only doing it to copy off of Torchlight anyway.

Flame away. :p
Though, honestly, it feels like, to me at least, Diablo's aesthetics have shifted from its previous iterations to something more like Torchlight.

Just look at <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.265110-Diablo-III-Looked-Heavenly-in-2005?page=1>these screens, I prefer the older cancelled style much more.
Good thing the Torchlight devs did in no way, as former Blizzard employees, copy the aesthetic of any game they've ever worked on. Torchlight has, in no way, the aesthetic of WoW and Warcraft 3...

OT
This is good news, they actually DO want to release this game sometime in my lifetime...

I'm sure they aren't done with pets for good, they will make an appearance in one of the expansions.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
And you'll be able to buy those companion pets from the Blizzard online store the very day the game launches.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Hammeroj said:
VladG said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Baresark said:
They were only doing it to copy off of Torchlight anyway.

Flame away. :p
Though, honestly, it feels like, to me at least, Diablo's aesthetics have shifted from its previous iterations to something more like Torchlight.

Just look at <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.265110-Diablo-III-Looked-Heavenly-in-2005?page=1>these screens, I prefer the older cancelled style much more.
Good thing the Torchlight devs did in no way, as former Blizzard employees, copy the aesthetic of any game they've ever worked on. Torchlight has, in no way, the aesthetic of WoW and Warcraft 3...

OT
This is good news, they actually DO want to release this game sometime in my lifetime...

I'm sure they aren't done with pets for good, they will make an appearance in one of the expansions.
They didn't work on Warcraft 3, nor on WoW. As far as I know, they were part of Blizzard North, that was shitcanned some time after Diablo 2: LOD.

The reason they went with that look is because it's easier to develop low-poly models and weaksauce textures, and that's all there is to that.
They did actually. Not all of them, sure, but they came in from Flagship, and most people from Flagship were involved with WC3 and WoW (mostly WC3). Max and Eric Schaefer (the founders of Runic) worked on WC3, as well as Diablo2 (Blizzard North)