Blizzard Stands By PC Gaming Despite "Unique Challenges"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Stands By PC Gaming Despite "Unique Challenges"

Though Blizzard admits console development is easier, the developer isn't going to abandon the PC anytime soon.

Perhaps due to the current popularity of online multiplayer gaming through today's consoles, there is a frame of mind out there that thinks PC gaming will someday die off. Blizzard is here to refute that possibility, saying that it will keep its focus on the PC even if console development might be easier.

Talking to PCR [http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/34215/Blizzard-Were-not-giving-up-on-PC-gaming], Blizzard VP of International Operations Michael Ryder said: "[PC] is certainly not written off by us. PC development has a number of unique challenges that console developers don't face, but Blizzard is one of the few companies that is there making great PC games."

Part of the challenge is with the massive number of hardware combinations found in current PCs; a challenge not found in console development outside of having to create both an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of a title. Ryder explains: "We've spent a lot of time in development focusing on scalability, on new PC hardware and old. If you were just designing for a console it would be a much easier task."

It'd be silly for Blizzard to ditch the platform that has made it rich for more than a decade-and-a-half, especially with the massive-selling consumers too [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281492195&sr=8-1].

Combined with smaller developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102439-Blizzard-We-Might-Return-to-Console-Development] are still finding a PC audience, I'm not worried about having to trash my computer for an Xbox, ever.

(PCR [http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/34215/Blizzard-Were-not-giving-up-on-PC-gaming])

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
As a PC-console Hybrid gamer I think this is still good news. In my opinion there are still genres that can't be played to their fullest potential. Since one of those is RTS which seems to be one of Blizzard's specialties its good to see that "good" developers are still into that platform. I do love the feel of the controller in my hands but the mouse and keyboard hasn't lost its touch yet.

As a note, the only reason good is in quotations is because I've never played a Blizzard game and thus can't judge on the quality of their games.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I just don't understand why there ever has to be a 'death' of the PC gaming market. The PC sure isn't dying, and it sure isn't getting any less capable of playing and displaying games. In fact, unlike a decade ago, you just about can't buy a computer that isn't a netbook that won't play most new games, if not in the most ideal fashion. So there's an enormous installed base of PCs, and there are only going to be more. Usually an installed hardware base is what you look at to determine the popularity of a platform, and last time I checked, everyone had a PC or three.

Has the big money shifted towards consoles? By and large, it sure has, with a few exceptions like Blizzard and Valve. However, I don't see why at least some of these other companies won't continue to port their console games to PCs, especially since the 360 itself is produced by the company that owns the computer desktops of the world.

I think it's going to be especially telling over the next few years, given the way consoles are falling further and further behind the hardware curve of what even moderately priced PCs come with standard now. Given that the 360 and the PS3 just underwent new form factors, I'll be very surprised if they make any noise about their next gen console for another couple of years.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
So long as Blizzard remains in business, PC gaming will never die. They have truly carried the torch for PC gaming in the past several years, almost by themselves (with smaller amounts of help from Valve, BioWare, and a few others).

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Does Blizzard even make any console games? None I can think of. Also, even me, a console gamer who has a chip on shoulder against PC elitists, I am more than sure PC gaming will not die. Consoles are just becoming more like PCs. If PC "dies", it will be simply because gaming has gotten to a point where a console and PC are near identical.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
mattaui said:
Given that the 360 and the PS3 just underwent new form factors, I'll be very surprised if they make any noise about their next gen console for another couple of years.
Also don't forget that both the 360 and the PS3 are set to release there motion sensing software, the PS Move and Kinetect, later this year as well. Definitely won't be hearing any new console news for awhile

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Quad08 said:
mattaui said:
Given that the 360 and the PS3 just underwent new form factors, I'll be very surprised if they make any noise about their next gen console for another couple of years.
Also don't forget that both the 360 and the PS3 are set to release there motion sensing software, the PS Move and Kinetect, later this year as well. Definitely won't be hearing any new console news for awhile
Yeah, and wow, from the general reactions I've seen and heard from most people, I cringe for the sales numbers for both of those. There's not yet been any killer app for either platform that would make me want to buy one. And I love my 360, I traded in my old one for the new sleek black one, but I'm not about to drop $150 on the Kinect until I see something more promising.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
MMORPGs, RTS games, and to a certain extent shooters will always have a large market on the PC. I'm just sad that single player RPG developers seem to be gravitating towards the console market.

Aside from hardware issues, I think the main problem developers face when considering which platform to develop on is the issue of piracy. There are a lot of unabashed thieves in the world of PC gaming, and developing for a platform that is largely devoid of such criminal activity is a very appealing prospect. We could argue over whether or not piracy is as much of an issue as developers and producers make it out to be, but the important thing is that they believe that its that big of an issue.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I think it's sweet they stand by the platform that's created an ocean of money for them.
Wait, not sweet, I means unsurprising as hell

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
mikozero said:
Miumaru said:
Does Blizzard even make any console games? None I can think of. Also, even me, a console gamer who has a chip on shoulder against PC elitists, I am more than sure PC gaming will not die. Consoles are just becoming more like PCs. If PC "dies", it will be simply because gaming has gotten to a point where a console and PC are near identical.
StarCraft: Ghost was a (GameCube, Xbox, and PS2) console game. there are others also further back in the companys history (Blackthorne, Rock n' Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Justice League Task Force)

they have actually mentioned in passing in the past that they have highly skilled multi platform console developers within their current development teams now. it one of the reasons many Blizzard watchers suspect their unannounced MMO may have a console variant.
I don't see how you can really count Ghost as Blizzard making a console game, it was handled by two other developers for a majority of its life and even when Blizz finally put its hands on it, they just tabled the thing.
If you don't count ghost they really haven't made a console game in the last 2 console generations. To me that takes them off the "console developer" list until they actually release something on the consoles again.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
These are the type of things that make me love PC developers. Now if I could just buy SC2 (isn't on sale where I live yet).

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Khaiseri said:
These are the type of things that make me love PC developers. Now if I could just buy SC2 (isn't on sale where I live yet).
Dude, the 60 bucks for SC2 is highway robbery already.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Now i have been a PC and console gamer hybrid since... forever it seems like and one of the most significant things i have noticed is that the two are becoming more alike with each generation of consoles. Now this is mostly just the consoles becoming more pc-like with each generation, so really, ten years from now will there really be any difference at all?

Well yeah, but i think what we'll end up with is Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo having their own lightweight "gaming & social networking" operating systems for pcs and possibly releasing their own "consoles" which are really just like PCs but without the whole ability to remove and upgrade its various parts.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
ark123 said:
Khaiseri said:
And? most games here in Mexico normally cost like that much! And it's one of the few PC developers right now, so I have huge respect for them. Even though I did not like WoW.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Khaiseri said:
ark123 said:
Khaiseri said:
And? most games here in Mexico normally cost like that much! And it's one of the few PC developers right now, so I have huge respect for them. Even though I did not like WoW.
I don't think you understand my point. 60 bucks is retarded cheap for everything you get with SC2.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
ark123 said:
Khaiseri said:
ark123 said:
Khaiseri said:
I don't think you understand my point. 60 bucks is retarded cheap for everything you get with SC2.
Ah, well indeed it is! I understood that it was another complaint about being too expensive.