Blizzard to Remove "Sexy" Tracer Pose in Overwatch - Update

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Dgezar said:
I take your meaning, but I also think that an over the shoulder ass-pose is more than "Mildly" flirtatious, don't you?
In [current year] [current country]? Well...yeah. At least I live in a culture in which "normal" dancing one would expect in any nightclub between otherwise anonymous partners is straight-up, no-bullshit, dry humping. Let's maintain a sense of perspective, here.

Make of that what you will.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Dgezar said:
In those pants? YES. If I can see whether or not she waxed with the pants still on, and the separation of the ass cleavage, then yes.
Honestly not saying much with the ass cleavage honestly. My girlfriend wore leggings in high school to get around the dress code and if she wasn't wearing a skirt over it you could easily see the same stuff...was never any kind of invitation like that at that point in time for anyone involved. I mean, hell, I grew up with the girls around me wearing things just as revealing and even moreso because it was hot as fuck all the damn time.

I dunno, I guess it just seems to depends on if you see Tracer as "sexual" or not. And whether or not you grew up with what she's wearing around you. Also if you're focusing solely on her ass as opposed to everything eles.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Redryhno said:
I dunno, I guess it just seems to depends on if you see Tracer as "sexual" or not.
To me, that's the crux of the issue. Female sexuality is still in such a jacked-up state in contemporary society it's best "understood" (read, societally enforced) as a strict dichotomy. "You're either celibate or a whore". Blizzard's decision that in my opinion, considering the circumstances and stated justification, does nothing in the end but perpetuate that gender stereotype. It's genuine misogyny, and in the end more harmful to women as a class than good.

Exactly how far past the point of reason is vidya, for people to fail to recognize that?

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
I think we're missing the underlying root of the controversy here. It's not a matter of prudes vs sexually liberated, nor of SJWs vs gamers.

No, it's really butt vs boob guys. Quite clearly the original complainer was not a butt guy and those upset of the removal are butt guys that are being denied :)

In all seriousness, I'm glad for the change. Tracer is a character I was hoping to play in Overwatch, and I do not particularly care for that original pose. Call me a prude, but I'd like a more combat ready or at the very least, a more neutral pose for that particular character.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The pose that freaked me out was Widowmaker's expanding butt thing in one of the earlier promotional videos. If I remember correctly, she tapped on her visor and her butt enlarged as it unfolded ... it was one of those things that; "...once seen, cannot be unseen."

It struck me as odd no one on the team caught it either. It just looked positively bizarre.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Didn't blizzard hear yet? Everything sexy is the work of the patriarchy. Let's face it. The sex-negative reactionaries will not shut up until every character is wearing a burka.

Can't have people enjoy sexy things now, can we? That's just evil.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Jesus Chirst all mighty, lets just enjoy a piece of female ass as much as someone enjoy the pecs of a male character.
What next?
Cover the Face of Winston because the violence against animals?
Put a Wig to Zarya' head to cover her Tumblr sinful Origin?
Change the model of Mei because she look fat?

And no. These are real. They really discuss these things [except Winston Face I guess].

Now exscuse me while I go to Ma******te while watching Trace's ass.
And maybe an ass of a Shark lady as well, because reasons.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Cue the cries of "censorship" and "SJWs ruin everything" (which, naturally, wouldn't occur if we were talking about something like a male character thrusting his ass at the camera) in 3, 2, 1....
Except, as like 40 other people have probably said, there ARE male characters doing literally the same thing. This person IS ruining parts of a game, forcing them to remove a pose that a lot of other character do because "it offends them."

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Qizx said:
forcing them to remove a pose that a lot of other character do because "it offends them."
As much as I think this removal is pretty damn (pants on head) stupid. I'm going to need an explanation as to how this guy was "forcing" the devs to remove it. All I've seen is one post on a forum saying he thinks it had a negative impact on his daughter (I can't say I agree but thats that). If this is forcing then Blizzard is one of the most weak willed companies I've ever seen.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
spartandude said:
Qizx said:
forcing them to remove a pose that a lot of other character do because "it offends them."
As much as I think this removal is pretty damn (pants on head) stupid. I'm going to need an explanation as to how this guy was "forcing" the devs to remove it. All I've seen is one post on a forum saying he thinks it had a negative impact on his daughter (I can't say I agree but thats that). If this is forcing then Blizzard is one of the most weak willed companies I've ever seen.
Ok maybe forcing was a bit of a strong word. But when enough consumers kick up enough stink about something the amount of bad press versus making the change does sometimes force the hand of devs.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Qizx said:
spartandude said:
Qizx said:
Ok maybe forcing was a bit of a strong word. But when enough consumers kick up enough stink about something the amount of bad press versus making the change does sometimes force the hand of devs.
But then arn't they just changing a product they're selling to better suit their audience? Don't get me wrong I think them removing this pose from this character but leaving it for others (male and female) is stupid but again I don't think it's too much of an issue. If anything I would lie the blame with the devs here. Taking it out because a very small group of people (I've still only seen one, but I havn't followed this story closely tbh) was a very knee jerk reaction. Particularly when you look at the criticisms leveled at WoW theses days and how reluctant Blizzard is to address them.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
How could anyone ever think it acceptable to remove for everyone a completely optional aspect of a character which you do not like? It's mind-boggling to me how you can be so self-centered.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SecondPrize said:
How could anyone ever think it acceptable to remove for everyone a completely optional aspect of a character which you do not like? It's mind-boggling to me how you can be so self-centered.
Not to be rude, but just about everyone in this thread is talking purely about what they want.

It's the internet. People only care about what others want when it conveniently falls into line with what they themselves wanted.

Also the devs are putting something in to replace it, something that they feel fits the character's personality more.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
erttheking said:
SecondPrize said:
Not to be rude, but just about everyone in this thread is talking purely about what they want.

It's the internet. People only care about what others want when it conveniently falls into line with what they themselves wanted.

Also the devs are putting something in to replace it, something that they feel fits the character's personality more.
There's a difference between wanting something and wanting what everyone gets to be tuned to what you yourself want. I don't want a lot of things, that doesn't mean I feel others shouldn't have them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SecondPrize said:
erttheking said:
SecondPrize said:

There's a difference between wanting something and wanting what everyone gets to be tuned to what you yourself want. I don't want a lot of things, that doesn't mean I feel others shouldn't have them.
You know, the problem with this is that everyone is looking at it as a zero sum game. That everything ever taken out of a game is a loss. Even if it just didn't fit or didn't work. This is a pose that, frankly, didn't really mean much and is going to be replaced. People who are buying the game are not going to be getting an incomplete experience, just an ironed out one. Hell, the pose will probably be similar to the last one, just with some changes here and there.

If it wasn't for all of the people making a fuss about censorship (only when its related to sexualized women I can't help but notice) this would've flown under the radar