Blizzard Unveils Completely New Overwatch IP - Update

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
I'd encourage you to look at the concept art, especially, for the first two warcraft games.
I agree that Blizzard has focused on stylized and vibrant artstyles, but blood and gruff characters have almost always been part of Blizzard games.
So.. By "always" you mean about 10 years, out of their 24 year existence?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
Catherine Williamson-Wingate said:
Smilomaniac said:
TF2/Monday Night Combat clone, it's a bit dissapointing. It shows that Blizzard has all but abandoned their gritty style and wants to focus on a younger audience.
Pardon me, but "Blizzard's gritty style"? When I think Blizzard games, "Gritty" is hardly the first word that comes to mind. Diablo perhaps, but Warcraft? Starcraft? Hearthstone, or even their older fare, such as the Lost Vikings or Rock and Roll Racing? Blizzard has always favored more colorful, stylized looks.
I'd encourage you to look at the concept art, especially, for the first two warcraft games.
I agree that Blizzard has focused on stylized and vibrant artstyles, but blood and gruff characters have almost always been part of Blizzard games.
Well, Team Fortress Classic was definatly a more realistic styled game compared to it's sequel http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Team_Fortress_Classic_original_models.jpg .
Hell even the early beta of TF2 was suppose to be more "gritty".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Tf2_oldstyle.jpg

So, yea. Didn't stop them from being one of the currently most played FPS on the market.

Styles can be diverse from one company, if you want gritty you've still got Diablo and Starcraft. They have shown long ago since Warcraft 3 that they have a whimsical side. And whats wrong with that? Adults can enjoy that too. You want games that pander to Younger kids you'll find them in Call of Duty and Battlefield. oh snap I just went there.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I like the overall design though this isn't the sort of game I'd be playing.

And I'm not a fan of the large amount of insta-kill attacks the game seems to have...

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Is it just me or does it seem like everybody is pumping out a class-based multiplayer shooter these days? Battleborn, this, that one that Bethesda is doing. Just seems interesting. Still looks good though.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Aetrion said:
Oh look, all the support characters are women. How original.
There are 5 women and 5 men in this lineup, and one of those men is a fucking gorilla. 2 of the women are classified as offence, 2 are classified as support and 1 is classified as defense.

Nice to see confirmation bias is alive and kicking.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oh my stars, that looks fun as hell.

This normally isn't my thing, but that looks like a blast. Can't wait to see more of it. :D

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Signed for the Beta. This could have been you and Overstrike, Isomniac. My giddy aunt this looks like a barrel of fun and everyone seems capable of kicking ass, so no complaints there.

Visually I'd have to say though my favs are Pharah and Reinhardt.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Aetrion said:
Cool! ... I only play support, and I prefer female avatars. To each their own I guess...

Uhh just 1 question though. Why is the rocketeer "support"?. Looked more like a Roamer Solly to me and I can't really think of anything more self-sufficient and Offense focused than the Roamer Solly besides the Roamer Scout in 6v6's. And snipers... well Snipers aren't actually support, they're Disruption or something "defense". But they're never a 'pocket'/Warder to anyone b/c they usually don't have any support skills anyway.

undeadsuitor said:
The aesthetics (especially the armor) seem very.......Firefall. Which considering a few of the characters have jetpacks is a hilarious coincidence.
Haha! That's exactly what I said on their official video after watching it. I was worried it was only me who drew that conclusion. But yeah even the way the characters "gleem" and move feels identical to FauFau

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
If the shooter isn't an arena shooter like Quake, UT, or Halo 1 the shooter is garbage bar none. Really hoped Blizzard would reborn the competitive arena shooter.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
That... actually looks really, really good. Colour me excited, Blizzard.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Aetrion said:

BZZZT, wrong.

Tracer: Offence
Widowmaker: Defence
Pharah: Offence
Symmetra: Support
Mercy: Support

Also, I swear Zenyatta is like Robo-Dhalsim.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gotta say, quite like it. What really gets me though is claims that Blizzard has abandoned its "dark and gritty" style.

Guys, have you ever played a Blizzard game? The only "dark and gritty" ones are Diablo and StarCraft. Warcraft's always had a bright colour palette and a high fantasy/swords n' sorcery aesthetic, and I'd like to remind you that Blizzard's games before that include Vikings traveling through time and space, a shotgun-wielding commando fighting space orcs, and a racing game where missiles are being shot between the racers. If anything, I appreciate Overwatch (and HotS) for the fact that while Blizzard can craft worlds and stories with serious intent (Diablo, StarCraft, Warcraft - palette notwithstanding), there's still room for enjoyable games that are simply about the gameplay (HotS, Hearthstone, Overwatch). That, and they've spread themselves out over multiple genres rather than focusing on one single genre.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Aetrion said:
Scout, Air support, healer, technician, sniper.

Huh? You're not far off. These are all hit-and-run or backfield characters.

The Reaper's ultimate looks stupid.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Artaneius said:
If the shooter isn't an arena shooter like Quake, UT, or Halo 1 the shooter is garbage bar none. Really hoped Blizzard would reborn the competitive arena shooter.
I guess that explains why Quake and UT are such massive franchises today... Oh wait, they're not.

The arena shooter has had its day, but that age has passed. The market preference has moved on to more objective based gameplay, so the market will be saturated by games that cater to the demand. In time, demand may shift back towards the arena shooter. Or maybe it will shift to a focus on 1-1 combat. Who knows?

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Omegatronacles said:
The arena shooter has had its day, but that age has passed. The market preference has moved on to more objective based gameplay, so the market will be saturated by games that cater to the demand. In time, demand may shift back towards the arena shooter. Or maybe it will shift to a focus on 1-1 combat. Who knows?
Or maybe it will shift to a whole new kind of Core Mechanic as technology and content creation gets faster?