Blizzard Unveils Completely New Overwatch IP - Update

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
iller3 said:
Omegatronacles said:
The arena shooter has had its day, but that age has passed. The market preference has moved on to more objective based gameplay, so the market will be saturated by games that cater to the demand. In time, demand may shift back towards the arena shooter. Or maybe it will shift to a focus on 1-1 combat. Who knows?
Or maybe it will shift to a whole new kind of Core Mechanic as technology and content creation gets faster?
Indeed. I think a company that manages to develop a FPS with a new, I mean a seriously new mechanic, will print bank.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Its like they took TF2 and made it cooler by adding in super power. I approve completely.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm surprised nobody's posted the cinematic trailer yet.

It's like Blizzard stole a page or two from Pixar's book. Then ten or twelve more pages. Then the whole damn book. But hey, if you're going to borrow, borrow from the best!

[small]Bonus laugh points for the security guard playing Hearthstone on his tablet.[/small]

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
First Reaction: So that this is what Blizz has the actually creative people working on.

Second Reaction: Shut up and take my money

Third Reaction: Wait... does this have hats?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Aetrion said:
Wow this post is full of imbeciles who do not understand basic logic statements.

"All Support Characters are Women"

does not mean the same thing as

"All Women are Support Characters"

But this is the internet, so I doubt anyone who was bitching at me how there are women with offense or defense roles is going to acknowledge how dumb they are for not understanding that difference. After watching the trailer I realized that Zenyatta is supposed to be a guy, so I guess my statement is still wrong, but it just blows me away how many people who can't tell the difference between the above two statements presume they have the mental capacity to lecture anyone.
You just said something hilariously inflammatory, didn't say anything as a follow-up to said inflammatory (and historically knee-jerking subject on this forum of all places) statement, which was already wrong, and now your response is to insult everyone who told you that you're wrong because they responded in kind to a statement which had literally nothing individually useful to say. I'm sorry, were you expecting something else?

More to that, the reason people, myself included, brought up that there are plenty of women in this game is because, hey, you're not only wrong, but completely ignoring the rest of the game. Semantics and technicalities aside, you have no grounds here. Sorry. Your comments pisses me off because I just watched the cinematic, saw how diverse it was, felt really good, and the first thing I read was some cynical statement that felt completely ignorant of what was actually shown.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Aetrion said:
Wow this post is full of imbeciles who do not understand basic logic statements.

"All Support Characters are Women"

does not mean the same thing as

"All Women are Support Characters"

But this is the internet, so I doubt anyone who was bitching at me how there are women with offense or defense roles is going to acknowledge how dumb they are for not understanding that difference. After watching the trailer I realized that Zenyatta is supposed to be a guy, so I guess my statement is still wrong, but it just blows me away how many people who can't tell the difference between the above two statements presume they have the mental capacity to lecture anyone.
You said:

Oh look, all the support characters are women. How original.
I'm sorry but how the fuck else were you expecting people to take that when it's blatantly false?

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Activision-Blizzard showing how it "won't/hasn't" changed the company...

How a company rooted in making RTS games, and then MMORPGs goes straight to making fucking shooters (like we don't have enough of them) is beyond me. I don't like it. nope.

In fact, I straight up don't like blizzard anymore. Used to love them. What a shame. They're basically controlled by call of fucking duty.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
michael87cn said:

How a company rooted in making RTS games, and then MMORPGs goes straight to making fucking shooters (like we don't have enough of them) is beyond me. I don't like it. nope.

In fact, I straight up don't like blizzard anymore. Used to love them. What a shame. They're basically controlled by call of fucking duty.
And platformers, and racing games, and ARPGs, and ARTS's, and CCGs...yet a shooter's off limits?

Anyway, Overwatch stemmed from Titan which was an MMORPG, so like HotS, its existence is through happenstance.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Hawki said:
michael87cn said:

And platformers, and racing games, and ARPGs, and ARTS's, and CCGs...yet a shooter's off limits?

Anyway, Overwatch stemmed from Titan which was an MMORPG, so like HotS, its existence is through happenstance.
I don't think that has been confirmed anywhere. At the panels all that was said when someone asked a question about it was "I mean... Titan was set on Earth and was really ambitious. But it wasn't this game." But that's like saying "oh, we were influenced by a gameplay element of, I don't know, Space Sims." It doesn't mean a whole lot. Thematically the world seems very different from what Titan was trying to be. I guess they might've had leftover tech? But that's literal speculation.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
http://kotaku.com/blizzard-announces-overwatch-1656048978

"Blizzard's Chris Metzen confirmed this afternoon during an Overwatch panel that this game did indeed evolve from the remnants of Titan, as we reported, although he did specify that Overwatch is "a very different game."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-connection-between-overwatch-and-blizzards-can/1100-6423457/ (another link)

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
michael87cn said:
I'm sorry but how the fuck else were you expecting people to take that when it's blatantly false?
I was fully expecting people to try and make themselves feel smarter by pointing out that Zenyatta is not a woman after I realized that that was supposed to be a guy. Instead what I got is half a dozen people trying to disprove a point I never even made. Oh internet.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Aetrion said:
michael87cn said:
I was fully expecting people to try and make themselves feel smarter by pointing out that Zenyatta is not a woman after I realized that that was supposed to be a guy. Instead what I got is half a dozen people trying to disprove a point I never even made. Oh internet.
so you attempted to make a "absolute" logic statement that is false (by your own admission), and then attempt to take an "intellectual" high ground by stating 'ha people are yelling at me for the inverse of my false logical statement" and calling them ignorant after you made the error by committing a worse sin of logic "stating an absolute on assumed/misinterpreted data" just a life lesson note (you probably failed this class) "2 wrongs don't make a wright"

currently based on my observations I would find all politicians more trust worthy then you.*

*I mean all in the cumulative sense, and not the comparative

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wow, a cool looking game is unveiled, with tons of info on the site, interesting, vibrant visuals and what appears to be a genuine sense of fun to the whole thing, and all you people can focus on is LOOKING FOR YET MORE GENDER ISSUES? Sheeeesh!

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
Fdzzaigl said:
Doesn't look like a very original concept coming from them, it basically looks like TF2 with a whole lot more heroes.

That said, if there's anything I trust Blizzard with, it's with making fun games. They even managed to make a frekking card game fun. Can't say they've ever let me down on that one in the past either.
Yeah, but are more heroes really what TF2 needed?
now we have a wallcrawling sniper and a ropeshooting sniper.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I won't people sooner or later figure out who is the better sniper and render the other hero redundant ?

halisme

Jun 2, 2014
Just as I think nothing can get me hyped, Blizzard shows this. A gorilla with a lightning gun and a time travelling cockney. I'd say sign me up but I've already done it.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Weaver said:
Why do I get the feeling someone is still mad at Valve for DOTA 2?
Maybe, although I suspect it's more that they want a chunk of that crazy hat money that valve has been making.

OT: This game strikes me more as DOTA for the fps crowd; with that much focus on the esport style competition it doesn't seem like it'll be my thing. Too bad, it looks cool.