Blizzard Won't Make Xbox MMO until It's Sure Live Can Take It

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If they were smart MS would just let Blizzard bypass Live and connect to their servers directly, and MS can still charge them for this "service" or lack their off.

Otherwise trying to glue together both their online services will result in a clusterf*ck of bad.

As for MMO's not working on console controllers, bullshit, WoW is one simple script away from controller usable (I know because I played it like that).
The only big problem is communication, sure talking works in parties but in towns you just can't have that, and typing on consoles is frekin horrible.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Due to fun little text bugs, when mousing over the title of this, It said simply "Blizzard Won".

Who am I to argue with that sentiment?

I will say, though, he's right to have concerns about Live - Blizzard's downloads are done through a P2P sharing system much like torrents which live certainly doesn't offer. This would mean somehow Live would have to house the servers that would handle Blizzards multi-gig updates. And I guarantee you plenty of WoW players will be waiting there for that update to go live, meaning those servers are going to be serving up multi-millions of updates. We're talking petabytes of data here in one sitting. This is going to take some SERIOUS work if they were to do so.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
MMOs on Xbox Live?
Yeesh. Lets funnel all of our users onto our network-backbone!....and then funnel them into the Backbone-WITHIN-the-backbone!

Even if Xbox Live became a switching service for another MMO-only network, they would still have to approve all of the patches, updates, content, etc. That means leaving users will be leaving Live for practical reasons.

I seriously doubt that Microsoft would want to cede any form of control over its users to a 3rd-party entity, but that's exactly what has to happen for an Xbox MMO.

Plus, I seriously doubt they would permit an MMO unless they got a cut of every monthly subscription and this is where negotiations get real tight.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Delusibeta said:
chemicalreaper said:
Gvaz said:
"Microsoft puts limits on how many free updates developers can put out for their games" is the highlight of that article.

You can't update your game too much on our service. Instead, release it as an expansion pack and pay us royalties for using our service. Microsoft is a shithead.
Er, did you even stop and consider that Microsoft actually has to pay to upkeep its servers, y'know the things where files are stored? All of those expansion packs and patches and arcade games aren't just floating around in the air. There's a shit load of Xbox 360 games and almost all of them receive patches: that's a hell of a lot of files.

If there was no limit on the number of free patches a developer could put out, then we'd quickly see Xbox Live fees rise to cover the additional server space needed to store all those extra files.

Microsoft's not a shithead (yeah, that's real mature...). Stuff is not free. And server space is not cheap.
I would like to now point in the direction of Steam. I don't know the PSN policy on patches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were unlimited too. Point is, if the competition is doing it for nothing, then Microsoft is dumb for charging it (if they were competition on the same format. There's a reason why GfWL, which is essentually Xbox Live PC Edition, is wilting).
Except when they don't host anything. Developers can run their own title servers.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Chapper said:
If there will ever be a console MMORPG, it has to be "dumbed down" a bit. A regular controller can't compete with a keyboard and a mouse. It would make gameplay and socializing awkward and unintuitive.

But that's just the negative me talking. I suppose there might be some way to work around the controll mechanics. I know I'd be interested in playing if they got the gameplay right.
There's already been a few console MMORPG's. Where have you been?

FFXI worked just fine on the xbox. The only draw back was Live not allowing frequent updates. The controls, however, were just fine.
Socializing isn't awkward at all, in fact, what better way to accurately lead a group than to tell them what needs to be done in a party chat?

Console MMO's can be a great thing, to write them off so quickly is not cool.

Now, back to Cataclysm.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
RvLeshrac said:
Except when they don't host anything. Developers can run their own title servers.
Really? Well, that makes the fact Microsoft is charging for Live seem an even bigger rip-off.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
im pretty sure black ops qualifies as an MMO, lots of people playing together. so live already has an MMO

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
gbemery said:
Would you have to subscribe to both xbox live and the MMORPG? If so I would be interested in knowing how much total.
Actually, this problem as been address in Japan for the MMO Monster Hunter on the 360. The way they did it was for every month of Monster Hunter Frontier you bought, you got a month of XBOXLIVE for free. So really, you were just paying for Monster Hunter.

However, on the flip side, FFXI on the xbox allowed you to play the game with a free silver membership. So all you paid for was FFXI and you didn't even need a gold account.

I don't think it should be a problem for Blizz and Microsoft to work something out.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
brodie21 said:
im pretty sure black ops qualifies as an MMO, lots of people playing together. so live already has an MMO
Yeah, a 18-player limit game makes it a MMO.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Gvaz said:
"Microsoft puts limits on how many free updates developers can put out for their games" is the highlight of that article.

You can't update your game too much on our service. Instead, release it as an expansion pack and pay us royalties for using our service. Microsoft is a shithead.
or a company out to make money...damn them for that!

seriously tho i think an MMO for XBL might be a great thing, only issue is that i probably wouldnt end up playing it at all as MMOs are the devil (jk i had fun with WoW but having to raid for 3+ hours at a time was something that i couldnt keep doing and have a happy marriage)

one control scheme could be taken from Dragon Age, maybe have a key combo that would link to a macro system that constantly does checks for buffs healing etc like how your npcs operate and leave the direct control skills to the player, i think it would help reduce the console issue that arises with having to quickly select targets for healing etc.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm fairly sure Microsoft would lift the limit for a Blizzard MMO, like how they eventually gave up on the XBLA 50 MB limit. Now there are now Arcade games nearly 2 GB.

Didn't Microsoft also get rid of one of the "rules" for Shivering Isles, too?

By the way, for the elegant control system, look at Sacred 2. Controlled beautifully.

Seriously. LB brought up a ring around you, and any items around you got sucked into the inventory, unless that item was marked for another player because it was their kill.

You had 12 (or was it 8?) hotkeys, and a fast and easy menu system.
The problem isn't the game size, it's the server.
and MMORPG server costs millions a year just to keep running; we don't think XBL can handle a server requirement of that (for example)

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
Yeah, a 18-player limit game makes it a MMO.
you know what i mean. how many people are playing online at one time? there is no rule that says they have to play in the same match

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
So in essence, this article boils down to "Live sucks balls"? Because I've been saying this for years.

Logan Westbrook said:
The structure of Xbox Live is something that has multiple developers have decried.
It looks to me like you have an erroneous "has" in that sentence. Super pedant away!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Delusibeta said:
chemicalreaper said:
Gvaz said:

Er, did you even stop and consider that Microsoft actually has to pay to upkeep its servers, y'know the things where files are stored? All of those expansion packs and patches and arcade games aren't just floating around in the air. There's a shit load of Xbox 360 games and almost all of them receive patches: that's a hell of a lot of files.

If there was no limit on the number of free patches a developer could put out, then we'd quickly see Xbox Live fees rise to cover the additional server space needed to store all those extra files.

Microsoft's not a shithead (yeah, that's real mature...). Stuff is not free. And server space is not cheap.
I would like to now point in the direction of Steam. I don't know the PSN policy on patches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were unlimited too. Point is, if the competition is doing it for nothing, then Microsoft is dumb for charging it (if they were competition on the same format. There's a reason why GfWL, which is essentually Xbox Live PC Edition, is wilting).
they originally tried to charge pc gamers for playing multi using gfwl also but we didnt put up with it and everyone hated it, everyone still hates it and their sales dont really help them much since more then a few people have massive problems with the downloader, myself included

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm fairly sure Microsoft would lift the limit for a Blizzard MMO, like how they eventually gave up on the XBLA 50 MB limit. Now there are now Arcade games nearly 2 GB.

By the way, for the elegant control system, look at Sacred 2. Controlled beautifully.

Seriously. LB brought up a ring around you, and any items around you got sucked into the inventory, unless that item was marked for another player because it was their kill.

I think the main Problem is that your have to pay microsoft a large sum of money for every patch.
And then the patch enters a long testing period. on the pc you just upload it.
Also content patches aren't allowed to be freeon Live. Microsoft makes few exceptions, and basing your buisness on Microsoft breaking the rules for you seems foolish.
Wow sometimes gets patched mulrtiple times a week if a big bug is there.
Also you can't have xour own Gm's if Microsoft contolls the server.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Chapper said:
If there will ever be a console MMORPG, it has to be "dumbed down" a bit. A regular controller can't compete with a keyboard and a mouse. It would make gameplay and socializing awkward and unintuitive.

But that's just the negative me talking. I suppose there might be some way to work around the controll mechanics. I know I'd be interested in playing if they got the gameplay right.
There's already been a few console MMORPG's. Where have you been?

FFXI worked just fine on the xbox. The only draw back was Live not allowing frequent updates. The controls, however, were just fine.
Socializing isn't awkward at all, in fact, what better way to accurately lead a group than to tell them what needs to be done in a party chat?

Console MMO's can be a great thing, to write them off so quickly is not cool.

Now, back to Cataclysm.
I've been over here, not playing any of them. Which makes me assume they weren't hugely successful. Whether or not that is blamed to gameplay or other factors I won't speculate in, but either way, if it's true that the only issue is Xbox Live, then damnit Blizzard, call Microsoft and make a deal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

A lot of the "rules" seem to be made up.

Even very recently, there was supposedly a "rule" against free content, despite numerous bits of evidence to the contrary. The "rule" on free updates also seems to shift.

People are always going to make up these rules. Valve has lied about why TF2 doesn't feature any updates on the XBox, but they're taken as gospel. If Valve said tomorrow that Microsoft didn't allow acheivements on DLC, 80% of the community would claim it as fact.

"Waaah! Microsoft didn't change their rules to accomodate us specifically! It's all their fault, even though we knew what was going on at the time!"

They wouldd likely break any rules to get WoW or anything similar, though.

The big obstacle is Microsoft's opposition to pay MMOs on their service, which has been a standing issue since the first XBox.