Blizzard Won't Make Xbox MMO until It's Sure Live Can Take It

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Adzma said:
Chapper said:
If there will ever be a console MMORPG, it has to be "dumbed down" a bit. A regular controller can't compete with a keyboard and a mouse. It would make gameplay and socializing awkward and unintuitive.

But that's just the negative me talking. I suppose there might be some way to work around the controll mechanics. I know I'd be interested in playing if they got the gameplay right.
I for one agree with you there. MMOs at this stage of gaming anyway are meant for PCs.

I would go on to say that FPS are meant for PCs too but I'll get labelled as a fanboy so I'll stop at MMOs.
FPS games are meant for PCs.
No type of game is meant for any hardware, all types of games work completely fine on all formats, sure racing maybe a bit iffy on PC's and shooters on consoles don't allow for pinpoint aiming, but to say that "FPS games are meant for PC" is just stupid.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
im pretty sure black ops qualifies as an MMO, lots of people playing together. so live already has an MMO
Yeah, a 18-player limit game makes it a MMO.
you know what i mean. how many people are playing online at one time? there is no rule that says they have to play in the same match
"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world."

I understand what you mean, but a game with popular multiplayer doesn't automatically make it a MMO.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
im pretty sure black ops qualifies as an MMO, lots of people playing together. so live already has an MMO
you know what i mean. how many people are playing online at one time? there is no rule that says they have to play in the same match
Actually, yes there is. You need at least 100 people on the same match, on the same map to even have the remotest claim to be an MMO. Ideally, more than 1000 people on the same match, on the same map. (You may argue that MAG is an MMO, and I won't refute that. Someone else might, however) [Edit] Damn ninjas. Basically, what guy above me said.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
arc1991 said:
No type of game is meant for any hardware, all types of games work completely fine on all formats, sure racing maybe a bit iffy on PC's and shooters on consoles don't allow for pinpoint aiming, but to say that "FPS games are meant for PC" is just stupid.
Ehh, RTS? I know, nitpicking, but you won't be seeing Starcraft 2 on consoles any time soon. At least I'm going to argue the "racing [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRacing] is iffy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackMania] on PCs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFactor]" point.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Delusibeta said:
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
Actually, yes there is. You need at least 100 people on the same match, on the same map to even have the remotest claim to be an MMO. Ideally, more than 1000 people on the same match, on the same map. (You may argue that MAG is an MMO, and I won't refute that. Someone else might, however) [Edit] Damn ninjas. Basically, what guy above me said.
where does it say that?

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world."

I understand what you mean, but a game with popular multiplayer doesn't automatically make it a MMO.
where does it say that?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
VanityGirl said:
gbemery said:
Would you have to subscribe to both xbox live and the MMORPG? If so I would be interested in knowing how much total.
Actually, this problem as been address in Japan for the MMO Monster Hunter on the 360. The way they did it was for every month of Monster Hunter Frontier you bought, you got a month of XBOXLIVE for free. So really, you were just paying for Monster Hunter.

However, on the flip side, FFXI on the xbox allowed you to play the game with a free silver membership. So all you paid for was FFXI and you didn't even need a gold account.

I don't think it should be a problem for Blizz and Microsoft to work something out.
I only have about as much faith to assume that they will work something out and that it will be a complete rip-off to the consumers. However, it would probably be more successful than the DC mmo thing they're doing on PSN. Obviously, gamers on psn are less likely to pay a monthly fee for a game. I don't know what they were thinking.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
I imagine gameplay would have to be alot more "oblivion"-like to get working good enough.
Love the idea.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:

where does it say that?
I know that: Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_Multiplayer_Online].

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Delusibeta said:
arc1991 said:
Ehh, RTS? I know, nitpicking, but you won't be seeing Starcraft 2 on consoles any time soon. At least I'm going to argue the "racing [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRacing] is iffy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackMania] on PCs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFactor]" point.
Halo Wars was good for a console RTS, sure it wasn't perfect, but it was better than most.

And i only said racing is iffy on PC, because compared to most other games on PC, i'd say it's the weakest, but that is just my opinion on the matter :), obviously that changes if you have a joystick.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
brodie21 said:
Corohan said:
brodie21 said:
By those criteria, Guild Wars is an MMORPG!

*grabs a pitchfork*

We dun' like yerr kind around here...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
ciortas1 said:
arc1991 said:
The moment you literally have to make FPS games more forgiving and phlegmatic (Bioshock), slowing them down so console players could aim properly and even going so far as adding in auto-aim (RDR) and aim assist systems, the control system does not work for shooters. And racing games don't work on keyboard+mouse. Unless they tried making the mouse do the steering... Although that would be mighty awkward of a control scheme.

Seriously, playing on a controller puts you at a severe disadvantage, tunnel visioning through everything being the least of your problems. Having played BF:BC2 on a PS3 and having the PC version to reference the game and the players in it, I know what I'm talking about. The matches take literally twice to three times as long simply because of the slow aiming and reaction times alone, and that's enough to make a case right there.
My point was they still work, slowed down or not, you can argue all day but the fact is, no type of game is made for one piece of hardware, they ALL work fine, some may be a bit confusing, but learn the controls and they will work fine, even Halo Wars.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
I think instead of an MMO they should do the same kind of game they used to do, like Lost Vikings, Rock'n'Roll Racing and Blackthorn.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
With Microsoft expressing on numerous occasions that they feel entitled to a cut of anything monetary that passes through their system, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with Live itsself and could have just been done in a normal browser, this will never happen. Blizzard's most likely not going to offer an MMO at a higher price to just XBox users and normal price to everyone else, and they're sure as hell not going to take a loss on it.

I guess if you pay a thief to steal from you, expect to get stolen from?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Or the simplest way would be just an updated Xbox IR receiver so that it was compatible with your standard IR keyboard....

Not as good as PC but PS2 (USB) did it with FFXI and it seems to work okay ... so what's stopping MS?
Am I the only one thinking possible MS-Blizzard bundle pack for an additional 20-30 USD?

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Well MS is greedy assholes, and they can keep it up because the 360 fanboys let them AND think MS is doing something good in the process, now a Blizzard console MMO.... Let Ps3 have one? :D I don't see why not? There has already been made MMO's for ps3! And you can always BUY a keyboard and mouse for Ps3! C'mon Blizzard! Make me some Ps3 gamez :D

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
The thing is, you don't need to use a controller. A keyboard is already compatible, and it wouldn't be hard to add mouse support. Blizzard could also easily make a custom controller with everything you'd need. The only difference would be that you could use your 360 if your computer isn't good enough. I'd say this is more of a server and support issue.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Microsoft is a bag of assholes. But we already knew that.

Anyway, I doubt they would change the rules. If they didn't make amendments for an FF game, which would've been highly lucrative for both Microsoft and Square Penis-err...Enix, then you know they aren't going to change it for Blizzard. It's sad, but that's most likely the truth.

I'm not a Sony or Nintendo fanboy for my first comment. All consoles are equally shitty. Broken Xbox, expensive PS3, bad games for Wii.