Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO An "Enormous Investment"

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
manythings said:
rsvp42 said:
Personally, I'm excited to see what they can come up with. They've always done a great job with their current IPs, so I'm betting this new one will be even better. And actually, since they're designing the concept from the ground up as an MMO, the story might actually truly work with a perpetual world! How 'bout that! Can't wait.
I'll stick with expecting a great product from BioWare and treat Blizzard with caution.
So you will expect a great product from a developers first forray into a genre but treat a product from the developer who undeniably has the most experience in that genre with caution?
Your logic astounds me

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Spencer Petersen said:
manythings said:
rsvp42 said:
Personally, I'm excited to see what they can come up with. They've always done a great job with their current IPs, so I'm betting this new one will be even better. And actually, since they're designing the concept from the ground up as an MMO, the story might actually truly work with a perpetual world! How 'bout that! Can't wait.
I'll stick with expecting a great product from BioWare and treat Blizzard with caution.
So you will expect a great product from a developers first forray into a genre but treat a product from the developer who undeniably has the most experience in that genre with caution?
Your logic astounds me
BioWare have consistently made products that I consider worth the price of admission, Blizzard has not. Also before you start the fanboy dance about how awesome blizzard are I've played their games, I did not enjoy ergo they don't have my goodwill. It's that simple.

0a0x0e0

Aug 17, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
monnes said:
Does blizzard lead innovation in genres? Like what?
World of Warcraft? That game put MMOs on the map. The accessibility of the game astounds me still compared to just about every other MMO out there. You may wish to argue what exactly his definition of innovation is, but there is no denying what they've done for the video game industry as a whole.

RTS's are where they still reign supreme too.
MMOs were on the map long before Blizzard made any trust me. They might have put the 'parent buying online subscriptions for their preteen kids' on the map, which is all WoW is to most of us. A carebear game filled with children.

Tom Goldman said:
monnes said:
Diablo started an entire genre and style of gameplay that countless games borrow from, for one.
Nobody that worked on Diablo works for Blizzard anymore. Blizzard may own the IP, but they have nothing on the devs that made that legend of a game. It would be like having a bandname (Smashing Pumpkins, for instance) and your band gets super famous. Then your producer fires all of you but keeps the name and hires new bandmembers. Sure, it's the same bandname but all the original talent is gone. And all the sheeple will not know the difference.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
monnes said:
Mr.Pandah said:
monnes said:
World of Warcraft? That game put MMOs on the map. The accessibility of the game astounds me still compared to just about every other MMO out there. You may wish to argue what exactly his definition of innovation is, but there is no denying what they've done for the video game industry as a whole.

RTS's are where they still reign supreme too.
I agree that they've made fantastic games, but i'd never consider them innovative. I wouldn't consider being successful innovative.
Yeah, but they made it successful/"famous?" so give them that, but one thing is for sure a SC MMO would be sweet.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I just hope if it takes off that Blizzard can somehow get shot of Activision. It's a shame that Kotick will see part of the profits.