Blizzard's Pardo Confirms: No Diablo III in 2010

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
It takes time to round up 100 souls to trade to the devil in exchange for an addictive game, success and hot chicks.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Amnestic said:
paypuh said:
Amnestic said:
What can I say? Blizzard (and Bioware, as a sidenote) have earned major karma points with me over the years where every game I've played from them has been nothing less than an exceptional experience.

If it takes them another four years to make D3 every bit as good as I know they can make it, so be it. If fanboying over Blizzard has taught me one thing in life, it's that patience is a virtue with them \o/
Well, I guess I am getting into the right profession then if release schedules don't need to be adhered to in the world of video games. I was raised by a father who worked in the TV biz, and when he had a deadline to meet, he had to make it or he'd get fired. Seeing as he has several Emmys to show for it, quantity over quality isn't something he believed in either.
Deadlines don't need to be adhered to assuming you self-publish everything and have enough income to support yourself anyway :p KotOR2 is a perfect example of a game that was pushed out of the door to meet a release date.
The point I'm trying to make is I'm all about quality over quantity too, but I'd like there to be some proof of work ethic. Perhaps I'm the progammers worst nightmare. If I ever became a manager, the whip would crack so loud, my employees would be using Miracle Ear till the game was done and done right. I guess I'm old school, probably why I like to work, even in the bullshit menial jobs I had when I was 14-18.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
paypuh said:
Amnestic said:
paypuh said:
Amnestic said:
What can I say? Blizzard (and Bioware, as a sidenote) have earned major karma points with me over the years where every game I've played from them has been nothing less than an exceptional experience.

If it takes them another four years to make D3 every bit as good as I know they can make it, so be it. If fanboying over Blizzard has taught me one thing in life, it's that patience is a virtue with them \o/
Well, I guess I am getting into the right profession then if release schedules don't need to be adhered to in the world of video games. I was raised by a father who worked in the TV biz, and when he had a deadline to meet, he had to make it or he'd get fired. Seeing as he has several Emmys to show for it, quantity over quality isn't something he believed in either.
Deadlines don't need to be adhered to assuming you self-publish everything and have enough income to support yourself anyway :p KotOR2 is a perfect example of a game that was pushed out of the door to meet a release date.
The point I'm trying to make is I'm all about quality over quantity too, but I'd like there to be some proof of work ethic. Perhaps I'm the progammers worst nightmare. If I ever became a manager, the whip would crack so loud, my employees would be using Miracle Ear till the game was done and done right. I guess I'm old school, probably why I like to work, even in the bullshit menial jobs I had when I was 14-18.
But the production of a TV show - which is a serial - and the production of a game are two entirely different things. With a TV show, if you have a bad episode, it's just a bad episode, maybe next week will be better. With a game, if the game is bad, the game is bad forever. That is THE product.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
But the production of a TV show - which is a serial - and the production of a game are two entirely different things. With a TV show, if you have a bad episode, it's just a bad episode, maybe next week will be better. With a game, if the game is bad, the game is bad forever. That is THE product.
But my father won most of his Emmys doing documentary-type shows, which is essentially the same thing. They are only released every so often. He got out of the weekly show routine 15 years ago, where he still won Emmys (and Tellys).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I doubt it'll be out for a few more years. Blizzard still needs to release Starcraft 2. And Starcraft 2 is going to be released in 3 parts.
But it's ok. Diablo 3 probably won't be that much different than Diablo 2. Hopefully they've gotten rid of that "you can't change your skills" BS.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
oppp7 said:
I doubt it'll be out for a few more years. Blizzard still needs to release Starcraft 2. And Starcraft 2 is going to be released in 3 parts.
But it's ok. Diablo 3 probably won't be that much different than Diablo 2. Hopefully they've gotten rid of that "you can't change your skills" BS.
There will be respeccing in D3 ;)

My bet is that D3 will come out in between the second and third SC2 installments. Just a gut feeling; I've been wrong before.

Ridrith

Aug 17, 2009
paypuh said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
But my father won most of his Emmys doing documentary-type shows, which is essentially the same thing. They are only released every so often. He got out of the weekly show routine 15 years ago, where he still won Emmys (and Tellys).
Shut up.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Ridrith said:
paypuh said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Shut up.

I think I'll leave it at that.

*edit* Realised, too little words.

That's too bad, but frankly i've never had D1 or D2, so it doesn't effect me too much.

But, if it takes longer to make it right, then I think we should wait, same thing with HL2:E3

Rock 'n' Soul

Nov 15, 2009
Well, that's a major bummer. I'm growing to have a serious love/hate relationship with Blizzard (those bastards). At least they mentioned how they're fucking us over with the whole Starcraft thing early enough that we can get used to the idea of being poor.

But yeah,

"We just needed it to be great and our playerbase is going to buy it whenever it hits the shelves." ... pretty much equates to "We've got them by the balls anyway so what's another few weeks?"

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Blizzard announced the sequel to an extremely popular game too early and is now having to delay until gods only know? I'm shocked.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
I don't think Blizzard are delaying the game, they're just not seeing an endpoint to development in 2010. Fair enough. Over the years, they're it's ready when it's ready" has given gamers WC 1-3, Diablo 1 & 2, SC and WoW.

That's a pretty solid track record to stand on, and I'm more then ready to wait for D3 because when it does drop, you can pretty much be assured that it will be spectacular and be the action-rpg game that all others will be compared to.

Besides, I'll be trying to find time to score new loot in WoW:Cataclysm while I wait. :p (don't play RTS' myself, so not concerned about SC).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Im sorry but you can not tell me that WoW isn't getting priority over this game. Let's see they announced D3 back in 08 meaning they had probably been working on it since 07 or even 06. Now in the time it's taken them to get this far with D3 they will have put out THREE full expansions for WoW by the time D3 is released. Any once of which is likely equal to the size of D3 if not larger. Add on top of that the WoW content patches for each one and you've probably got 2 or 3 times the amount of content in those alone. Now it seems if they would be putting half the effort into D3 as they are into WoW it would of been release with a damn expansion by now.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I wouldn't be suprised if Blizzard saw Torchlight and went "oh crap... this game is better than what we've been doing with Diablo III, shit, we need some more development time guys..."

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
While some miffed Diablo fans may want to blame Cataclysm and SC2 for the game's late release (at least a decade after the last Diablo game, 2001's Diablo II: Lord of Destruction)
Ugh... you know something (and this isn't aimed at you in specific, just a general gripe)? I am so sick of hearing Diablo fans whine about how long it's been since they've had a sequel, especially when they start talking about how Diablo 3 needs to come out before Star Craft 2. You wanna know something? Star Craft came out BEFORE Diablo 2. We've been waiting LONGER to get our sequel, and yet you never see Star Craft fans whining about it like Diablo fans.

*Ahem* Anywho... as for the "Zomg it's taking so long to develop" griping, so what? When Blizzard starts making bad games, THEN I'll worry about the amount of time they sink into them. Until then, I stand by my ruling on the matter: I'd rather have a great game tomorrow than a shitty game today.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Diablo Forever anyone? Seriously, it's been almost two years already since they announced it, and now they say it'll be another two?

Meh, everyone knows they earn more money from WoW and it's expansions to build a fucking castle of thousand dollar bills, they don't need Diablo 3 or StarCraft 2, they can fuck around as much as they want, because they just know every single fan of those series will either kill themselves dead or patiently wait for the release with drooling mouths, no matter how much Blizzard moves the release dates more and more into the distant future. We gamers are pathetic...