Bloodborne hype thread

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Bleh, I built a PC instead of buying a PS4. There was no way I was buying a PS4 for one game. No way in hell, not even if it's a FROM game.

Oh, wait... Doesn't matter if it's FROM. It has to be FROM "A-Team." Gotta make that distinction..

The game does look fun, and I'll be watching Streams and let's plays. But honestly, I'm not that sad I'll be missing out. Not really.

Part of what made Dark Souls good wasn't just the connected environments that everyone (including me) raves about. It was the variety. It wasn't all just one theme. Having an entire game in the vain of Latria from Demon's Souls will get old fast. I hope it has some variety.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ishal said:
Bleh, I built a PC instead of buying a PS4. There was no way I was buying a PS4 for one game. No way in hell, not even if it's a FROM game.

Oh, wait... Doesn't matter if it's FROM. It has to be FROM "A-Team." Gotta make that distinction..

The game does look fun, and I'll be watching Streams and let's plays. But honestly, I'm not that sad I'll be missing out. Not really.

Part of what made Dark Souls good wasn't just the connected environments that everyone (including me) raves about. It was the variety. It wasn't all just one theme. Having an entire game in the vain of Latria from Demon's Souls will get old fast. I hope it has some variety.
It doesn't all take place in the city. There's a bunch of different environments, the city is just what's been shown the most since it was the level they've been demoing.

So far they've shown some of the city, the sewers, the outskirts of the city, and the underground procedurally built dungeon. I'm sure there's a ton more areas that they haven't shown off yet because they want people to feel like they're discovering them once they start playing. It's not all going to be like the Tower of Latria.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
rorychief said:
Can't wait. It'll be cane/whip for me.

Does anyone know how the beast mechanic works? Like if you corrupt yourself enough do you lose use of your weapons but gain hand to hand buffs or something?
I don't think anyone is quite sure yet.

I'm inclined to think that the blood vials in the game will serve as more than just a healing item.

In game this is the way that the blood is described:

"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more."

It sounds to me like the blood vials will heal you (which we've already seen), but if you're taking a lot of damage and healing a lot the game is going to give you some buffs to make the game a little easier. Then if you still suck and are still constantly getting hit you'll turn into a beast. I don't necessarily think that turning into a beast is going to change the gameplay mechanics, I think that if you become a beast you'll automatically be invaded by a hunter.

At least that's how I'm imagining things, though I'm probably way off the mark. Would be cool though.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Fappy said:
God dammit, am I really going to be a console for one game? Someone slap me.
*SLAP*

GET HYPED!

It's funny, I was trying to de-hype myself up until a week ago because I didn't think I'd be able to afford a PS4 to get Bloodborne, but then I got my new job and now all the hype has flooded over me super hard.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
I've reached Tengen Toppa levels of hype, the hype is off the charts, my doctors have prescribed me heart medication so that it doesn't explode from the hype blood racing through my hype veins.

BLOODBORNE SON.

Seriously though I've seen truly gorgeous weapons, creative ones too. The fashion borne will be so real, top hats, monocles waist and trench coats. New invasion/co-op mechanics, faster pvp, which is a god send after the sluggish affair that was dks2 pvp. Just imagine, covenants with Demi god like beasts (like that Cthulhu spider in the alpha) changing your monstrous form (I know it was awhile ago but they did mention that a big part of pvp would be hunting down "beast players"). I can't fucking wait. I've been playing a lot of Warframe lately, and it's really fun and a great way to play something without spending money (the grinding is actually pretty reasonable, certainly one of the best freemium implementations I've seen) but I'm gonna drop it like a rock when BB comes out. Fromsoft has never let down my pre-order and I don't expect them too now.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I'm hyped.

I'm also without a PS4 and reluctant to get one at it's current price and with what is currently on offer. And with The Order flopping there is even less on offer then I initially thought.

Also I'll have to pay for PSN and I'm not comfortable with that.

If I get a PS4 for whatever reason and I have a change of heart in regards to PSN subscription, this will be one of my first purchases... as long as it still has an active community and isn't shite.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Fappy said:
Binding of Isaac: rebirth is a pretty fantastic game on the ps4, if you're into roguelikes. That and BB are why I got mine, so two games. Never look back, NEVER REGRET

HYPE TRAIN TO YHARNAM NOW BOARDING ON PLATFORM 4

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Azure23 said:
Fappy said:
Binding of Isaac: rebirth is a pretty fantastic game on the ps4, if you're into roguelikes. That and BB are why I got mine, so two games. Never look back, NEVER REGRET

But why would someone with a PC see Binding of Isaac: Rebirth as an incentive to buy a console? I'm looking at it's Steam page at this very moment ...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Evonisia said:
I think it looks nice aesthetically. As far as I'm concerned that makes it six billion times better than either Dark Souls or Dark Souls II. The games themselves aren't really my style, but I like that Bloodborne doesn't just look like an expansion pack to the Souls games, and a change of setting is greatly appreciated after three games of standard fantasy-but-with-a-twist.
It also changes up the combat quite a bit, seeing as apparently instead of a shield you get a shotgun. So maybe a more grounded Devil May Cry type experience?

OT: Bloodborne is one of those games for which I'm not even that hyped eventhough I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just gonna sit back, relax, and wait for it to wash over me.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
I am extremely hyped for this game, though I haven't preordered it. While I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 it was a little disappointing overall so I am very excited to see the next iteration of the series with the main people behind Demon's and Dark Souls 1 behind it. I'm especially excited for the Chalice dungeon because if the Souls games have a single big flaw as a series for me its that I can only play through them blind once.

Now if only I could convince some of the friends I normally play with to pick up this game...

bigwon

Jan 29, 2011
Can't justify getting a console for it...I even thought of justifying it by purchasing all of the souls games and having a souls machine....but life shit ultimately weighs it out.

Maybe sony will go down and they'll be forced to scrounge up all of their exclusives for future steam releases....maybe he thinks unapologetic to all of the logistics inflicting jobless people.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
FirstNameLastName said:
Azure23 said:
Fappy said:

But why would someone with a PC see Binding of Isaac: Rebirth as an incentive to buy a console? I'm looking at it's Steam page at this very moment ...
Fair point. I suppose I was I a unique situation because my PC is incredibly broken at the moment and I loved the old Isaac game, still, valid point.

I will certainly admit that the ps4 doesn't exactly have a dearth of system selling games at the moment. Other than Bloodborne, which, given how much of a souls-addict I am, is enough for me.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I was kinda slightly hype, but the more I see the more I feel like they are riding the one note "ZOMG SO DIFFICULT" element at the expense of actual balenced gameplay that DKS had. Then there was the whole thing where I always though sword and board was the most fun way to play and hated rollspam, and was thus severely disappointed to learn that rollspam is now your only defense option. And then Dungeon Fighter Online Global got announced for the same day and the Bloodborn hype became nonexistent. I'll pick it up at some point once I have testimonial that its not cheap bullshit and the price comes down.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
major_chaos said:
I was kinda slightly hype, but the more I see the more I feel like they are riding the one note "ZOMG SO DIFFICULT" element at the expense of actual balenced gameplay that DKS had. Then there was the whole thing where I always though sword and board was the most fun way to play and hated rollspam, and was thus severely disappointed to learn that rollspam is now your only defense option. And then Dungeon Fighter Online Global got announced for the same day and the Bloodborn hype became nonexistent. I'll pick it up at some point once I have testimonial that its not cheap bullshit and the price comes down.
Really don't know how you're getting this difficult to the point of cheapness impressions from the game. It's seems about as challenging as previous Souls games. And the sword and board method of turtling your way through the original games was very dull to me. It feels much more visceral and liberating to anticipate and roll your way out of enemy attacks. The stamina meter exists to limit your movements, so spamming roll constantly should not be possible.

OT: I'm playing Ori at the moment in order to distract myself from how ridiculously obsessed and hyped I am for this game. I really need some distractions for the next week in order to keep myself away from the Bloodborne spoiler threads on Neogaf, and it's getting harder and harder.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
I don't know why FROM keeps insisting on making the invasion mechanic mandatory. I don't like PVP. That is the one thing that has killed my interest in the series, past the first two Souls games (Demon and Dark).

I would love the game - Had it not been for that.
There is an offline option. Just do that. The only time you'll get invaded is by AI NPCS once or twice.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
LegendOfLufia said:
Mutant1988 said:
I don't know why FROM keeps insisting on making the invasion mechanic mandatory. I don't like PVP. That is the one thing that has killed my interest in the series, past the first two Souls games (Demon and Dark).

I would love the game - Had it not been for that.
There is an offline option. Just do that. The only time you'll get invaded is by AI NPCS once or twice.
Yeah, I want to play co-op so that doesn't help.

I've edited the original post now to make that obvious.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
LostCrusader said:
If you are curious about how some of the new mechanics are going to work, this might be worth a look.

I already preordered it and I'm counting the days. How can you not look forward to killing monsters with a cane/whip?!
That video was pretty fucking awesome and I don't even like the Souls games, so fucking overrated. I'm glad From is actually trying to make a game difficult this time. I only played Dark Souls but that game was easier than stuff like Uncharted and Tomb Raider. The only skill needed to beat Dark Souls was patience and being cautious, I got through whole dungeons (including the boss) on my 1st try; I got through Sen's Fortress not falling for a single trap, they all were so obvious. Extra Credits even made a video explaining how Dark Souls can be easy. I'm glad Bloodborne is going to be a skill-based difficulty and a lot people that think they're actually good at these type of games are going to get their butts handed to them just like the guy in the video said because you don't have that huge safety net that's called blocking. Knowing From, there's probably going some cheap combinations that make the game pretty easy because they aren't very good at balancing things. I actually went from mild interest into probably picking it up on release day.

I do hate that they keep forcing PvP on you. These type of games are all about the PvE for me. Plus, the fact that invaders are usually set up for PvP when my character is set up for PvE makes me not give 2 shits about PvP. You can just up the difficulty of the enemies when playing co-op instead of having someone invade you and your friend.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
LostCrusader said:
If you are curious about how some of the new mechanics are going to work, this might be worth a look.

I already preordered it and I'm counting the days. How can you not look forward to killing monsters with a cane/whip?!

Boyfriend and I are both hyped! He's booked the day off of work.
I'm actually glad that the play is less cautious (though I may regret that).

The PVP has always been a bit of a `meh` element for me, more of a momentary annoyance than a feature I enjoy, but that's just me.
I do like how you've got to beat the monster that kills you to get your souls (or equivalent) back, but I wonder how that will work if you fall to your death and the like? (Not that I ever rolled off of a bridge in Dark Souls, oh no, not me).

And the dodging looks fun.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
As good as this boodborn looks I won't be getting(even though I got a ps3 for demon's souls) because I don't want to spend $570 on a ps4 and $70 on the game its self for a grand total of $640.
I'll pick it up in a year or 2 when the price eventually drops down. 640 is just too much right now.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Bombiz said:
As good as this boodborn looks I won't be getting(even though I got a ps3 for demon's souls) because I don't want to spend $570 on a ps4 and $70 on the game its self for a grand total of $640.
I'll pick it up in a year or 2 when the price eventually drops down. 640 is just too much right now.
Geez, where do you live?

In the US a PS4 is $400 or less.