Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fappy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can't wait to play it when I pick it on Tuesday, but I won't be able to play it until the next day since I'm gonna be busy the whole day. :/

Not really quite sure how the co-op will be like, and I don't know if I wanna do it for this. Doesn't mean I won't give it a whirl since I might actually come to like it.

The atmosphere and the enemies look fucking awesome, and I can't wait to see what horrors I'll get to be killed by. :D
You better play with me, Fiz!

I will probably be recording a lot of MP for my review :p
Well shit, I better stop being lazy and get a mic then!

Plus, you will be seeing a lot of my character death since I kinda suck at the Souls games, and this one probably won't be the exception. :p
It'll be part of the fun XD

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fappy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can't wait to play it when I pick it on Tuesday, but I won't be able to play it until the next day since I'm gonna be busy the whole day. :/

Not really quite sure how the co-op will be like, and I don't know if I wanna do it for this. Doesn't mean I won't give it a whirl since I might actually come to like it.

The atmosphere and the enemies look fucking awesome, and I can't wait to see what horrors I'll get to be killed by. :D
You better play with me, Fiz!

I will probably be recording a lot of MP for my review :p
Well shit, I better stop being lazy and get a mic then!

Plus, you will be seeing a lot of my character death since I kinda suck at the Souls games, and this one probably won't be the exception. :p
It'll be part of the fun XD
Con of the game:
Having to carry your co-op partner since they keep dying just as much as you. XD

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I already got Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for the PS4, along with the demo for FF XV, and now I need to wait a week to afford the game. And from what I've seen, tow whole days without it is too damn long! The overall setting intrigues me, because I've always been a fan of Gothic Victorian settings, and I've always wanted more monster hunting games with that setting. When I heard that this was a thing, I couldn't have been more excited.

Werewolves, cathedrals, sabers and pistols, and the luck and skill of a single well-trained man against the supernatural and its dark and malevolent servants, residing in their labs with crackling electricity to bring monstrosities to life in pursuit of complete dominion over the townsfolk. Where the civilians react with fear, torches, and numbers in a futile attempt to stave off the darkness from its encroaching and inevitable march through their homes, slaughtering and turning everything in their way.

Hell, when I first heard about this game, I was hoping that it would be more like Dark Souls in terms of story, where you were the last hunter in a world lost to monsters, attempting to bring some semblance of humanity to a world with nothing left to offer but beasts and death. Kind of like a paladin during a demonic apocalypse, or a cleric in a zombie one. You would be the last slayer in a world of vampires and werewolves.

ClockworkAngel

Nov 9, 2008
I know very little about the nitty-gritty details of Bloodborne, but I am extremely excited for what is basically another Souls game. Nothing beats exploring that kind of game for the first time. Whatever else the game has, or how it's similar or different to the Souls series, exploring that world for the first time is what I'm hyped for the most.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This is gonna be twelve different kinds of fun.

Everyone else can have the scythe. I just want that cleaver sword.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Grimh said:
A Soulslike(?) designed more around my preferred playstyle, sort of gothic victorian inspired setting, werewolves and on top of all that I won't have to lay my eyes on that stupid god awful Havel set yet again?

It's... It's so beautiful!
Hahhahahhahahahahahaahahahahah whahhahahahaahaa......

No you'll still see 'Havel Armor" just this game's version of it. The Souls series has bred min-maxers so I am sure we'll see a "Havel" or "Gaint Dad" build

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
As long as it doesn't devolve into this:

Dark Souls combat

I might actually give it a go. The setting seems interesting, and I'd already planned on picking up a PS4 at some point, so....why not?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ezekiel said:
One other thing that bothers me is the proportions of the characters. They have legs and arms like spiders. Very long. I understand that it's the art style, but I've never liked the way the characters look in the Souls games.
The reason they have such weird proportions is because they're slowly becoming monsters (beasts).

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
MerlinCross said:
Grimh said:
A Soulslike(?) designed more around my preferred playstyle, sort of gothic victorian inspired setting, werewolves and on top of all that I won't have to lay my eyes on that stupid god awful Havel set yet again?

It's... It's so beautiful!
Hahhahahhahahahahahaahahahahah whahhahahahaahaa......

No you'll still see 'Havel Armor" just this game's version of it. The Souls series has bred min-maxers so I am sure we'll see a "Havel" or "Gaint Dad" build
Oh no, I don't care about people being boring at PvP with everyone doing those builds.
I just think Havels is the ugliest piece of garbage armor in Dark Souls and I just don't want to physically see it in any game ever again.
It has corroded my visual cortex for two games now when one was already too many. I am quite irrational on this point.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Saw two people stream it, and... it's not good guys.

I'm not going to doomsay and call it hot garbage. Cuz it's not, but it's not good or great either. In fact, I'd say it's very much like Dark Souls 2. So if you didn't like that..

We'll see how it's received after the hype has died down.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Ishal said:

I'm not going to doomsay and call it hot garbage. Cuz it's not, but it's not good or great either. In fact, I'd say it's very much like Dark Souls 2. So if you didn't like that..

Funny, I'm watching a stream right now, and it looks pretty cool to me. In what sense did it remind you of Dark Souls 2?

It's a moot point for me since I don't have a PS4 anyway.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Fat_Hippo said:
Ishal said:

Funny, I'm watching a stream right now, and it looks pretty cool to me. In what sense did it remind you of Dark Souls 2?

Well, quite a few ways actually. (ditto on the mute point btw, also don't own a ps4)

edit: in case it wasn't clear, I'm talking about spoilers. You've been warned.

The texture quality is pretty bad in some areas, from what I saw.

I watched the streamer get knocked down from an attack that landed several paces to his right, completely missing him. So far, the verdict seems to be that the hitboxes are bad, almost as bad as DKS II's.

The combat is stun-locking to the extreme. There's a video where a boss is stunlocked at least 9 times by the player's offhand gun. Letting him slice at the boss at his leisure. It's R1 spam with little to no strategy. He used that strat for most of what I saw and cleared pretty much everything.

The game doesn't seem to hamper you with slow movement leaving you open, so healing with the blood vials takes zero time at all. There seems to be several you can use. I'm reminded of the life gems from DKS II.

Perhaps one of the main criticisms of DKS II was that there was not thought put into enemies. And bosses just rushed you with numbers. Kinda like this...

It's different when A-team does it

Then, there's the aesthetic and artistic vision of this game.

B-team was responsible for DKS II. No Miyazaki at the helm, part of why it sucked. His vision is what makes games good. This is what I'm constantly told. I'm an avid Souls fan, so I don't necessarily disagree.

He says that flat out grotesque or "splatter" type designs will not get past him. Yet, this entire game is splatter. It's one of the themes. People can say it's different because of that, but I don't buy it. In the above picture, Miyazaki attributes that attitude to his personal sensibilities. Artistic fiat. In other words, things important to him that shouldn't change at the drop of a hat.

Yet, in BB, entire characters are drenched in blood as it is emptied from enemies. YOUR character is drenched in it. He talks about the idea of dignity. I've seen weeping women enemies who yank their own screaming heads off, blood erupting from their neck as they do it. This is some edgy stuff, and coming from someone who previously said the above? What the hell? Did his sensibilities get thrown out the window when the Sony check cleared?

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Ishal said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Ishal said:

Well, quite a few ways actually. (ditto on the mute point btw, also don't own a ps4)

The texture quality is pretty bad in some areas, from what I saw.

I watched the streamer get knocked down from an attack that landed several paces to his right, completely missing him. So far, the verdict seems to be that the hitboxes are bad, almost as bad as DKS II's.

The combat is stun-locking to the extreme. There's a video where a boss is stunlocked at least 9 times by the player's offhand gun. Letting him slice at the boss at his leisure. It's R1 spam with little to no strategy. He used that strat for most of what I saw and cleared pretty much everything.

The game doesn't seem to hamper you with slow movement leaving you open, so healing with the blood vials takes zero time at all. There seems to be several you can use. I'm reminded of the life gems from DKS II.

Perhaps one of the main criticisms of DKS II was that there was not thought put into enemies. And bosses just rushed you with numbers. Kinda like this...

It's different when A-team does it

Then, there's the aesthetic and artistic vision of this game.

B-team was responsible for DKS II. No Miyazaki at the helm, part of why it sucked. His vision is what makes games good. This is what I'm constantly told. I'm an avid Souls fan, so I don't necessarily disagree.

He says that flat out grotesque or "splatter" type designs will not get past him. Yet, this entire game is splatter. It's one of the themes. People can say it's different because of that, but I don't buy it. In the above picture, Miyazaki attributes that attitude to his personal sensibilities. Artistic fiat. In other words, things important to him that shouldn't change at the drop of a hat.

Yet, in BB, entire characters are drenched in blood as it is emptied from enemies. YOUR character is drenched in it. He talks about the idea of dignity. I've seen weeping women enemies who yank their own screaming heads off, blood erupting from their neck as they do it. This is some edgy stuff, and coming from someone who previously said the above? What the hell? Did his sensibilities get thrown out the window when the Sony check cleared?
I think you're blatantly twisting Miyazaki's words about the whole Blood thing considering:

1. Blood seems to play a role in the plot of Bloodborne.
2. He has addressed in recent interviews that the blood splatter is an intentional stylistic choice specific for this game, so you bringing up his design creed which he upheld for a completely different seems irrelevant.
3. The game is much more horror themed than previous Souls games, so things like the enemy designs are to be expected, so you getting hung up when a design choice isn't consistent.
4. DS had boss fights where you fight mutliple enemies at once e.g. Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Four Kings (at least if you took your time long enough) etc. The reason why it wasn't that much of a problem in DS one is because you weren't completely overwhelmed the way you were in DS II (well, with the exception of DS II)

I dunno, I think a lot of your hang ups are more to do with you taking every single word from Miyazaki too literally and treating it like the holy creed. I for one will judge it until I actually play it.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
jhoroz said:
I think you're blatantly twisting Miyazaki's words about the whole Blood thing considering:

2. He has addressed in recent interviews that the blood splatter is an intentional stylistic choice specific for this game, so you bringing up his design creed which he upheld for a completely different seems irrelevant.
3. The game is much more horror themed than previous Souls games, so things like the enemy designs are to be expected, so you getting hung up when a design choice isn't consistent.
4. DS had boss fights where you fight mutliple enemies at once e.g. Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Four Kings (at least if you took your time long enough) etc. The reason why it wasn't that much of a problem in DS one is because you weren't completely overwhelmed the way you were in DS II (well, with the exception of DS II)

I dunno, I think a lot of your hang ups are more to do with you taking every single word from Miyazaki too literally and treating it like the holy creed. I for one will judge it until I actually play it.
This is the sort of response I expect.

And that's the thing, I'm twisting nothing. That would be a point if he didn't literally say. "This has everything to do with my own personal sensibilities, and is something to do with every design that I approve."

You're right, it is horror themed. But the other games weren't just straight fantasy. They had themes that are present in bloodborne as well. In that interview, he's being very clear about his personal tastes. Things that transcend the projects he works on, things that are important to him as an artist. The interviewer didn't specify the question to just Dark Souls. He asked about his games, plural. And Miyazaki gave a broad answer.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Ishal said:
jhoroz said:

This is the sort of response I expect.

And that's the thing, I'm twisting nothing. That would be a point if he didn't literally say. "This has everything to do with my own personal sensibilities, and is something to do with every design that I approve."

You're right, it is horror themed. But the other games weren't just straight fantasy. They had themes that are present in bloodborne as well. In that interview, he's being very clear about his personal tastes. Things that transcend the projects he works on, things that are important to him as an artist. The interviewer didn't specify the question to just Dark Souls. He asked about his games, plural. And Miyazaki gave a broad answer.
If that's the case, then he betrayed his design ethos already in the Souls games. There's nothing particularly dignified about the Gaping Dragon, Centipede Demon or a majority of the bosses found in the Valley of Defilement. Speaking of the Valley of Defilement, the aborted fetuses that attack you during the Maiden of Astraea fight are far less dignified enemy design than what you described in the spoiler. Does this somehow complete invalidate all those games? To me personally, no, since I don't see how design choices that are slightly inconsistent to what a game developer has said in an interview automatically make a game bad. If this bothers you to the point of not wanting to buy the game, fine, but I'm going to actually wait and play the entire thing before straight up calling it bad or not good.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I would be hyped but, you know "PS4 exluseve guyz!" So yeah... not really that interested, maybe if From, does the sensible thing and releases it on PC at some point, but I doubt that will happen because this is sony we are talking about... Yeah...

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
Mutant1988 said:
remnant_phoenix said:
Mutant1988 said:
I don't know why FROM keeps insisting on making the invasion mechanic mandatory. I don't like PVP. That is the one thing that has killed my interest in the series, past the first two Souls games (Demon and Dark).

I would love the game - Had it not been for that.
Just log off XboxLive/PSN. It will ask you to log in when you boot up, and you can say no. Then you can say that you want to play it in offline mode.
I do want co-op though. So yeah, that doesn't really work for me.
In Dark Souls I just stayed hollow until I got ready to summon allies, unhallow and summon. I think I was invaded maybe twice and 3 v 1 the invader didn't win. DS2 of course did away with this, but even then I can't think of how often I got invaded. So while I see where you're coming from, they sort of allow ways around it for the most part.

thewatergamer said:
I would be hyped but, you know "PS4 exluseve guyz!" So yeah... not really that interested, maybe if From, does the sensible thing and releases it on PC at some point, but I doubt that will happen because this is sony we are talking about... Yeah...
It isn't the sensible thing when Sony gave them money to make the game in the first place. The same as Demon Souls. More than likely it is PS exclusive now and always will be. Sony is owning the IP and they are going exclusiveness to sell some consoles.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
My girlfriend owns a PS4. I don't.

I preordered the Collector's Edition.

This can only go one of two ways, guys.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Mutant1988 said:
I don't know why FROM keeps insisting on making the invasion mechanic mandatory. I don't like PVP. That is the one thing that has killed my interest in the series, past the first two Souls games (Demon and Dark).

I would love the game - Had it not been for that.

Edit -

I want to play co-op. So going offline doesn't really help me. The appeal of the Souls games to be is not the intense difficulty, as much as it's the responsive controls, satisfying and extremely well designed combat (My impression of the "cheap" difficulty is that it mostly depend on the level design - Dead corners, pitfalls, or just not knowing where to go to avoid hazards) and fascinating mythology.
It's not actually that bad, or at least it wasn't for me. In DS2 I got invaded...maybe 4 times in 15 hours (not counting fake invasions from NPC's). 1 of which was in the belltower (an optional PVP based area). I only really started getting invaded regularly on NG+ and by that point I did want to PvP. The bonfires usually aren't spaced out very far and with the ring you get your only going lose 3000 (negligible) souls if you die so if you don't like PvP it's just one of those things that will occasionally kill you. SM seems to have worked to stop people trolling new players like in DS1. FROM could just put in a covenant that cuts of PVP though since this seem to be a hurdle for a lot of people.