Blue Rose of Illium

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
great
now I caught feelings again
ME3 was the only game to consistently make me all teary-eyed
like you said, damn shame everybody is so fixated about the very last 5 minutes to remember about moments such as Charr's poem, or Shepard and Anderson's last chat =P

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
That was... that was really good.
I'd love to see more like this in the future. Now excuse me for a minute, I seem to have... *sniff*... allergies. Yes. Allergies... *SNRRFF*

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
This was great. I'd love to see more work like this that expands on these little tidbits from throughout the Mass Effect universe.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that was absolutely beautiful. I loved the big, stand-alone comic, I hope you'll do more of these, hopefully using other references than Mass Effect. Not that there was anything wrong with this, I just think this concept can work really well as long as it's varied.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
All I want to say is that I'm a 23 year old guy, I love Mass Effect and this made me cry real girly tears. It is such a beautiful comic. It's better than any comic that Dark Horse ever made about the Mass Effect series.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Blue Rose of Illium

The writer of Critical Miss brings you an unofficial tale from the Mass Effect universe.

Read Full Article
This was fantastic. Absolutely bloody brilliant. I totally agree with your sentiments on the game/series as a whole too. In a way, the crappy ending didn't bum me out so bad because, as far as I was concerned, it was the individual, self-enclosed stories set in this massive universe that made Mass Effect so good, rather than the wider story arc.

If you're going to do another one (although I hate to think how much work goes into this when you only have two people), can you do one about the death of Kal Reegar. He was another character who, even after so short a time, left a really big impression, and just reading about him being killed fighting on Palaven hit me really hard.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Did we need the preaching page?
I wasn't thinking about the ending, enjoying the comic for what it was, until it was mentioned -.-, I mean it's a sentiment I agree with but do we have to KEEP brining it up?
Otherwise, yup, nice little comic, made me smile a bit because of what was achieved in so few pages.
I personally feel the art could be better in a few frames, the artist is clearly good but there are few frames where the proportions seem a little off... I am no artist, so feel free to dismiss that comment :p

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Blue Rose of Illium

The writer of Critical Miss brings you an unofficial tale from the Mass Effect universe.

Read Full Article
I love the little, mostly-unexplored story hints like this. And I like when pretty major events happen in a hidden, far-off way. It takes the reader/viewer/player out of Omnipresent God mode and puts them in the mind of someone living in this world. It also makes the world feel living, when you're made aware of things that occur without your presence or say-so.

Unanswered questions and unopened doors are full of narrative "potential energy." A cocked gun is scarier than a smoking one.

(That said, nothing wrong with occasionally firing off one of those rounds, as long as you always leave one in the chamber.)

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
TheCaptain said:
Will you adapt more side-stories based on background characters and events? I'd love to see one about the fancy car woman and her Salarian friend you can overhear talking in front of Purgatory or the PTSD-stricken Asari commando in the clinic...
I repeatedly took a cab to the embassies and back to the hospital again the first time I visited the citadel just so I could hear that Asari commando finish her story.

The worst part is..

Unless there's a massive unintentional coincidence, Hillary is implied to be Joker's little sister.

Also..

Why did I give her that gun? :(

marrrk

Jun 5, 2012
This was really good. Did not expect the depth I encountered at all. Everything from the artwork to the dialogue to the characterisation totally worked. Was an immensely enjoyable surprise. Please do more!:D

Pontifex

Mar 17, 2010
Wow. This comic was amazingly well-done, and I would love to see more of them in the future. Maybe a Kal Reegar one?

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
If you're planning to do more of these, I'd highly recommend the Departing Soldier and his Asari wife at Dock D24. Easily the saddest little story, especially when you note that there are three Banshees at Sanctuary.

Or perhaps the C-Sec officer and the Refugee girl?

Loads of possibilities.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Wow, this is unexpected and awesome.
Loved the artwork and the story. Would love to see more like this, either in the Mass Effect universe or another universe!

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
That was pretty sweet, in multiple meanings of the word. It is kind of disappointing when they sum up a character's involvement in the story in just a quick blurb. Like how Zaeed just kind of got wrecked with nothing you can do about it.

Other characters, I just enjoy when I see a conversation with them again. I missed Wrex, I really did. And when you have a scene with Garrus and Wrex shooting the shit or throwing friendly insults, perfection.

I guess they had limited time fitting in minor characters when they spend so much of it trying to make you feel bad for that ONE child that died. Because there totally weren't other people that died or anything....or planets.....but man ONE human child? Harsh stuff. I mean yeah it's kinda cool having dreams where you are hearing the voices of those lost and that Sheperd feels bad about it, but the focus on random child seems preachy somehow (and he probably would have survived if he came out of the damn vent). Mind, I understand Paragon Sheperd probably being all reminiscent and self berating..........but wouldn't Renegade Sheperd kind of give less of a crap? Hmm...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
That was damn good. Great artwork, great story. Seems on par with the official comics. Thanks for this.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
There are tons of little stories littered around. I would love to see them made into more of these comics. The Mass Effect series did a great job creating a world. A interconnected narrative with all these little tid bits and interplay behind the scenes.

It's indeed sad that a great game ends so incredibly poorly. Maybe that's why everyone focusses on that. If you are served a 5 star meal and the chef comes over at the end and craps on your plate. Guess what you are going to talk about.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
1337mokro said:
There are tons of little stories littered around. I would love to see them made into more of these comics. The Mass Effect series did a great job creating a world. A interconnected narrative with all these little tid bits and interplay behind the scenes.

It's indeed sad that a great game ends so incredibly poorly. Maybe that's why everyone focusses on that. If you are served a 5 star meal and the chef comes over at the end and craps on your plate. Guess what you are going to talk about.
This, unfortunately. So much awesome in ME3 but when the last thing you see in the game is that ending... well.

That being said, the writing that went into this comic was far truer to the spirit of Mass Effect, far more poignant and far more enjoyable than the ending of ME3. It hit every note near perfectly, and if EA/Bioware was smart they would find some way to make this canon - this is how Charr went out. And a pregnant Ereba left the Citadel before it was destroyed to grieve, survived and managed to choose one of the places in the galaxy that survived the Reapers. (That place to be visited in future Mass Effect games, assuming they go into the future of the universe) That would be awesome if EA/Bioware could find a way to do that.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
This is beautiful. It would be really nice if more short comics like this could be made.