Body "art"

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
A reasonable amount of ear piercing (hopefully 2) is fine, any more can start to look trashy. And tattoos are just a bad idea from the start. One of my personal philosophies is to try not to do anything I'll regret, and when you're 60, seeing your saggy tattoo of a dragon or whatever probably won't make you feel too proud.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
You only live once, god dammit, so if you want to make yourself look awesome/weird then go right ahead. If you want to spend it judging other people for doing what they like, then go nuts.

People can waste their time and skin however they please, it's not my business. I have a few scars I'm proud of, how different is that to commemoration through a tattoo? Theirs is better done, I suppose.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Call me boring, but getting an image permanantly etched into my body isn't my idea of a good time. Especially since my own personal interests change over the years.
Pretty much this, A few years back I was really tempted to get a heartagram tatoo, but now I hardly listen to HIM anymore. Symbol is still cool, just not something I want etched in my skin forever.

Body art as in body painting however I think is brilliant. Some really great examples online and it can be quite sexy too xD

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I think Tattoos are art, I'm pretty sure flesh carving is but I hate it.

I don't think piercings are art.

I don't mind some piercings, I use to be a massive fan but now I'm not. I've always hated nose piercings. They make want to vomit. It makes me actually hate people. I find them repulsive, grotesque, horrific, disgusting. I don't know if I can explain how strongly I dislike them.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I have nothing against any of it, I get it really.

sure I wouldn't personally go for the extream stuff, I got a few tattoos and a lip piercing
my personal line is drawn at colored tattoos, but I don't mind others having them, and I consider a lot of bodyart, that I myself wouldn't get, as beautiful.

There is this really cool thing when you cut out a small sliver of your ear and tape the ear tips together so you get elven ears, that can look pretty cool, but I wouldn't do it my self.
Anchors are becoming more common and can be really nice, especially when used to enhance tattoos, and then comes tongue splitting, silicon bead implants, scarification, fake horns, tooth lengthening, it's all up to the individual, I wont mind.
but I think you should consider the possibility of you not being the same person in a few years from now, you'll perhaps be a person who do not think vampires are so cool that you'd painfully extend your teeth too look like one.
but then on the other hand when you do those extream stuff one will be unique, and for some people that is the definition of beauty.

I don't see why I should judge others because they have another idea of beauty than me.

I mean that goes for pretty much anything; breast implants, coloured lenses, clothing style, hair styles, and so on and so forth, not my place to judge as long as this person made the choice to have these modifications or styles because they them self want to and are not mentally ill (looking at those poor people who'd consider them selves ugly for that totally normal lookiong nose of theirs)

so when it comes to body art I draw the line on selfmutilization, such as cutting of legs and such, that is still considered an indication of mental-issues. (believe me, there are cases of people trying to get doctors to cut their limbs off because they think stumps are beautiful....)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Call me an asshole, but I hardly even tolerate tattoos. Tattoos somewhere where they can be shown with dignity, but aren't visible all the time and have a reason and a message behind them are fine. Tattooing your entire arms/back/legs/your whole body with generic tribal symbols or lame-ass dragons just looks douchy and stupid.

And 98% of people don't seem to remember that tattoos can only be removed with skin replacement surgery and that is neither comfortable or cheap. Nor do they seem to remember that the skin stretches and becomes more limp as you either gain weight and get older. Then your tattoos are going to look like crap... no, they won't look like crap, they will look like SHIT. Nor do they seem to have thought: "Do I really still want to have this dragon covering my entire arm when I'm 55 years old?"

As piercings go, ears, tongue and a few spots on the face area are alright. Other than that, nyehhhhh.

And for the whole body"art" thing, GTFO.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Phlakes said:
AOne of my personal philosophies is to try not to do anything I'll regret, and when you're 60, seeing your saggy tattoo of a dragon or whatever probably won't make you feel too proud.
I think if you get to 60 and only regret a tattoo, you're doing well for youself.

hannes2

Dec 10, 2010
I think tattoos and piercings can look really good as long as you don´t overdo it. I could even see myself getting a tattoo, although I´m not really planning to (and most likely won´t). Wouldn´t get a piercing, though.
As for the other stuff, I generally don´t mind if someone does it, because it really isn´t my problem, but I don´t think it looks good.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
It disgusts me, I wouldn't stop people from doing it, they can go right ahead, but I have the right to see anything more than a small tattoo or basic piercings as disgusting. Win Win.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
I have a tattoo, so that answers that part...

all the other stuff, I dont really mind (as long as it's not too much), but that can be said for anything, really...

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
You only live once, god dammit, so if you want to make yourself look awesome/weird then go right ahead. If you want to spend it judging other people for doing what they like, then go nuts.

People can waste their time and skin however they please, it's not my business. I have a few scars I'm proud of, how different is that to commemoration through a tattoo? Theirs is better done, I suppose.
Yeah, pretty much.

That argument everyone likes to pull about how it'll look silly when you're old is bullshit, though. When you're old, you're fucking old. Everything is saggy and wrinkled. How is a warped tattoo gonna make you look any worse.

***** all you like but that is a stupid thing to ***** about.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Phlakes said:
A reasonable amount of ear piercing (hopefully 2) is fine, any more can start to look trashy. And tattoos are just a bad idea from the start. One of my personal philosophies is to try not to do anything I'll regret, and when you're 60, seeing your saggy tattoo of a dragon or whatever probably won't make you feel too proud.
this is somthing i never understood though

when your 60 your looks are the last thing on your mind

anyway I like tatoos, but I find it a little annoying when people hate on them, in the end people get their tatoos for themselfs...not for others

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Tattoos and piercings are ok so long as you keep them under control, everything else is just ridiculous.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Piercings - I only like the belly button piercing. I don't have anything against those single rings on a eyebrow or lip. Other piercings look bad and have negative effect woman's look - i really hate to see piercings with many rings, and absolutely worst of all piercings is nipple piercing.
As a man, I wouldn't want to have any piercings on my person - even smallest ones add the "gay vibe", and I get hit on by gay guys enough even without it (I'm heterosexual).

Tattoos - I like the back tattoo, you know, the one you can see if woman wears short shirts. I don't mind small ones on arms or legs, but in a small quantity. Female tattoos get bad the moment there are more than two small ones on one arm, one really big, or when they are in any other color than black. Male tattoos generally look good, just don't get yourself any pink ponies or unicorns and everything will be ok. I personally want to get myself one on my arm.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Tattoos can definitely be cool and very artistic. Piercings on the other hand, I'm not that keen on. A girl at work had her tongue pierced, being curious I asked her 'How exactly do they get the stud in your tongue?', she told me they used a biggish needle and just pushed it through, then put the stud in. I think I'll pass on that...

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Togs said:
[...] tongue splitting especially looks ridiculous and is pretty much a one way street to lispville and unemployable-town.
Can you support this statement? I ask because a good friend of mine bifurcated her tongue in the early '90s, prior to becoming an emergency care assistant & then a paramedic in London. As far as I'm aware she's never had a single problem with employment & is just about to qualify & practice as an emergency care practitioner.

In addition to your claim of inevitable unemployment I'm afraid I must also take issue with your insistence that bifurcation results in lisping. Sibilants are produced by the specific position of the lips & teeth, predominantly with the tongue flat. This means of course that bifurcation isn't characterized by lisped or slurred speech.

I'm curious why you'd make these assertions for any reason other than bigoted prejudice.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
A girl that I'm slightly obsessed with has 22 piercings and a number of tattoos. Would I find her more attractive without them? Probably. Would I ask her to get rid of them? Hell no.

People can do what they like to themselves. It's sad when it's something like some of the above pictures (Azaradel's post made me cringe) but if people want to do it, good for them.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I've got a few tattoos, one of which is a half sleeve. I'll extend it to a full sleeve soon and then start work on my other arm. I love tattoos and am a big fan of heavily-tattooed girls as well.

I used to have my ears pierced, one of which I stretched, and had a nose ring for a while, on the left side, but now I don't have any piercings and probably won't get any more. I'd love to get my nose pierced again, I loved it, but I'm training to be a teacher so there's no way I could.

Scarification is quite horrific, imo, but it can look beautiful if done well. That doesn't mean it doesn't freak me right out.