Body-Popping no Problem for Natal

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
This is awesome! I want Natal more than ever now, there's so much you can do with this thing you just have to have something called imagination. Yeah there was some lag but it wasn't bad enough to where it killed the awesomeness. I can't wait for a good developer i.e Valve or Ubisoft Montreal, to show what this piece of tech can do. I've already thought of games that can take advantage of Natal.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Eh. I'll reserve judgment until it actually has some games that I would actually be interested in playing. I got my DDR fix long ago. Not really interested in DDR 2.0. At the moment, it seems like another gimmick in a long line of gimmicks. Now, come out with "Better Than Life," and I'll be pretty damn excited.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
SteelStallion said:
NATAL itself isn't what's important, rather the technological development behind it. As a console peripheral I agree it's just a gimmick. But think about it, it's a great step forward for motion capture in video games. This is just the beginning, it could evolve into something much more awesome in the future.
Then what was the EyeToy? Just another gimmick that does almost exactly what the Natal does.And came some years ago.

OT:Looks ok.But I would not buy the Natal if I had an X-box 360.Since I like sitting on the couch,or even lying on the couch while gaming.And the Natal would stop that process.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm not holding my breath, xbox hardware is notoriously crappy with a >50% fail rate. I wonder if the thing can handle the extra cpu load natal drops on it.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
vivaldiscool said:
THIS, think about how insanely expensive and hard the motion capture process is.

Now realize that was able to do motion capture in real timeon a supposedly couple hundred dollar platform?

It's nothing less than incredible. Though obviously it'll only have limited use for video games.
This is exactly the reason people should care more about it.

Also, even if it's not going to be terribly practical in many videogames and shoe-horned into a whole load of other ones, imagine a DIY fighter game with your character's animations created by your own body and put in by Natal. It'd be kinda like MUGEN for Everyone. And that would kick billions of asses.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
The good part about Natal is that it isn't an entire console (like the Wii) and so if you get bored, you can simply unplug the stupid thing and go back to playing GOOD games with normal controllers.

(By the way, what connection type does Natal use? USB?)

Dec 30, 2009
bad rider said:
vivaldiscool said:
SteelStallion said:
NATAL itself isn't what's important, rather the technological development behind it. As a console peripheral I agree it's just a gimmick. But think about it, it's a great step forward for motion capture in video games. This is just the beginning, it could evolve into something much more awesome in the future.

I won't buy NATAL, but I like what it's doing and I hope to see this technology expanded on in the future.
THIS, think about how insanely expensive and hard the motion capture process is.

Now realize that was able to do motion capture in real timeon a supposedly couple hundred dollar platform?

It's nothing less than incredible. Though obviously it'll only have limited use for video games.
Actually, it's got limitless potential. It all depends on the creative minds that have the job of working it into games. So you know it would challenge game developers to be creative as they can use every part of a person to control a game. Its surprising the amount of negativity that can be found when as a community gamers tend to ***** about game developers being uncreative. Then, poof, a tool which has a whole area of creativity to be explored and played with comes along and what do we do? "Aww man what a gimmick i bet it'll suck." Seriously maybe once we should be thinking, this may bring along new innovations in gaming that may revolutionize gaming. Sure we can be skeptical but decrying it before it comes out and not looking at the potential is really starting to frustrate me. (Especially when this video shows how well it's been developed.)
This.
Give it a chance, it has a lot of great uses. It might work pretty well for a RTS. Instead of clicks, just move your hand over to it. Mice are great, but the Human hand is the ultimate pointing/clicking/manipulation device.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
SteelStallion said:

I won't buy NATAL, but I like what it's doing and I hope to see this technology expanded on in the future.
This, I think it looks pretty bad right now, but if they work on and expand the idea it could turn into something very good in the future. I'd just like them to keep it off the market until that happens personally but we all know they won't.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
That was as unexciting as something could get...

Also there was some lag, id be more impressed if the guy wasnt just flailling about, why not have someone break dance with it see what happens?...oh wait nerds cant dance.

I bed to differ. This looks awesome too, can't wait for STREET FIGHTER 3D!

Bladecatcher

Sep 1, 2009
Idk, I think this has the possibility to be immensely revolutionary and awesome. This could be the next big step for gaming, or even how we use everyday computers. This is one step closer to the Holo-deck!
...Of course, this is Microsoft we're talking about so it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll cock it up somehow.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
RanD00M said:
SteelStallion said:
Then what was the EyeToy? Just another gimmick that does almost exactly what the Natal does.And came some years ago.

OT:Looks ok.But I would not buy the Natal if I had an X-box 360.Since I like sitting on the couch,or even lying on the couch while gaming.And the Natal would stop that process.
Comparing the Eyetoy to Natal is like comparing a Model T to the latest model Ferrari.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
As a demonstration of tech, that was pretty impressive, especially considering that it's coming from a single camera!

Small lag could be problematic for fast paced gaming, and looks like some more software work needs to be done to handle going down to the ground and other unorthadox poses. It did manage to catch his feet crossed off at an angle for a brief flash (probably as it was busy trying to calculate what the hell was going on, lol), so it's not all bad.

A fast dedicated processor would likely have made a load of difference with regard to avoiding that lag, but then again each unit would have cost more. More for a better bit of kit, or hope that a cheaper option would still be able to launch the technology? Which would you have gone for?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Rehtul said:
Seems that used in conjunction with the 360 controller, you could make some fairly interesting RTS-types or Puzzle-types, but by itself, mini-games are the only outcome...

It did mention something about "scanning" in real-world objects to interact with in the game. Maybe that will bring better titles to the platform which is, honestly, starting to stagnate.

Yeah, I'll be getting this Natal for sure, breathe some life into the console.
Since in Fable 3 your supposed to play as a king I'm about 99.9% certain there will be some sort of army commanding real time strategy parts in it. Using the Natal would make those parts a lot easier.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
That was as unexciting as something could get...

Also there was some lag, id be more impressed if the guy wasnt just flailling about, why not have someone break dance with it see what happens?...oh wait nerds cant dance.
Body popping is a little bit more the flailing about, also surely that the device can register "flailing" is more impressive then capture organised movement.

As long as natel serves as an "added bonus" for games; just small section such as voice controlled menus or some puzzles solved for it I think it'll be pretty cool

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Abedeus said:
WOOOO MINIGAMES!!! WOOO!!!

(after 15 minutes)

...Okay, so, can this play anything fun?
Felt the same way with the EyeToy

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
I am probably going to get this when it comes out. In mean, who honestly cares if it is a gimmick when it is supposed to sell for around $50?