Body Quirks

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Who doesn't love a discussion about how strange our bodies are?

This is a thread dedicated to those things your body does that are a little out of the ordinary or something about you that is just a bit odd.

I've lost some weight recently and I've begun to notice that I have a fairly prominent rib-cage. Now, I'm still carrying a few extra pounds so it's certainly not an issue of be being too thin but it is kind of sticky-outy, I believe that's the medical term. This has led me to believe that my skeleton, or at least my rib-cage, is fucking mahoosive. It doesn't bother me that much but it is a little frustrating because it's not exactly something I can fix with diet and exercise, I also think it makes me look a bit bigger than I am.

Also, my left ankle constantly cracks when I walk, usually about every two steps or so. It's not something other people generally notice but if I point it out, they never stop noticing. :D

So, what about you guys, anything gross/strange/unusual?

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
I have small legs. if I lift my leg and extend my arm, they're about the same length.

I'm a walking cartoon character.

And don't get me started on my nose...

...now that I think about it, one of my uncle was nicknamed Mr Magoo. *sighs*

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
When I was little I had (have) a patch of really pale skin without any pigment in my lower groin/bladder area. Birth mark in an odd place and all that.

Best part? Now that I'm a man with hairy bits I have a sizeable patch of white pubic hair. It used to make me self conscious even though no one could see it.

Now I just find it hilariously awkward. :D

Dec 14, 2009
I belong to the very exclusive club of white people who kind of look like Asian people, but don't have any Asian relatives.

I know there others out there that share my pain.

"Oh, how's that Asian guy you were with."

"He's not Asian."

"Are you sure?"

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've got less than 1 inch clearance between my lower ribs and my iliac crest (top of the hips), apparently an unusual trait as well as a 13th pair of ribs... Also some oddities in the hip structure in general which apparently allow me to run faster. Pretty neat, makes me wonder where my genetics can be traced to.
Also my "middle" toe is longer than the hallux (the big toe) on both feet and I'm able to manipulate objects with both feet almost well enough to consider them extra "hands".

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I belong to the very exclusive club of white people who kind of look like Asian people, but don't have any Asian relatives.

"Oh, how's that Asian guy you were with."

"He's not Asian."

"Are you sure?"
I share your pain :( I was often asked it by a teacher, it ranged from at first "Are any of your family Asian? Your eyes look it." to "Are any of your family mediterranean then?" I'm english goddamnit! English!

There's a bone at the end of my spine missing so I have a dip at the very bottom of my back. It's rather odd, but it aches like hell if I sit in the same position for too long. It made lectures a pain to sit through.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
One of my friends recently qualified as a doctor, and enjoys telling people all the ways there bodies are messed up. For example, apparently the arrangement of tendons in my arm/wrist is abnormal and a throwback, so I'm apparently less evolved than everyone else.

In terms of quirks I've noticed myself, pretty much all of my joints crack, especially my knees. Also, when I exercise it is possible to actually see my heartbeat through my skin, which just ain't right.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Baffle said:
ClockworkPenguin said:
Also, when I exercise it is possible to actually see my heartbeat through my skin, which just ain't right.
That's just strange. Wear a shirt!
Yes, let us say that it is because I am so awesome I exercise shirtless. It certainly isn't that I'm so woefully unfit my heartrate is super high for 20 minutes after I stop. Yes.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
On the top of my left ear, there's a little piece of cartilage that sticks out and you can feel under the skin

I cant snap but I can use my fingers to slap the palm of. My hand and make it SOUND like I'm snapping :D

Last of all, I have a mole right above my.... my.....

*sigh*

Asshole, alright? It's above my asshole

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I have a patch of skin on my wrist that has something weird going on with it's pigmentation.
It tans way quicker than rest of my skin, and loses the tan equally quickly.

I also have most of my bodyhair growing on my ankles. Which looks odd.

I'm fairly normal, in other words.

Except my elbows and some other joints are slightly hypermobile, meaning they bend more than they should. My elbows especially creep and disgust people when I try to stretch my arms.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My hands are not symmetrical to each other. The lines inside of my hand (don't know the proper terms to called the lines) are abit different-

My left hands has the two lines joined together to a point at inbetween the index finger and thumb but on my right hand, they are not joined to a point so there is a small gap at where the point would be on the left hand.

The line that bend down to the wrist is visiable on the right hand however on my left hand the line is not visible near the bottom. The line itself is still there but it vanish when the line reach the wrist area.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
It feels so good to know that I am not alone in the world. People would constantly ask how someone who looked Korean had a French last name.

OT: Beyond my usual Asian-ness, probably the weirdest thing about me is the fact that I am disturbingly flexible. Like I can put both feet behind my head and stand on my hands (walking is almost impossible from that position).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The 'bump' on the back of my skull is abnormally large. While everyone has this bump (feel right above the base of your skull), mines large enough that shaving my head leaves it fairly prominent, to the point where people remark on it.

I mean, the thing is just huge.

My spine has spurs on it.

My muscles are abnormally tight as well, causing some movement issues, general pain when exercising, and frequent muscle spasms. Multiple trips to multiple doctors and physical therapist and the only explanation I ever got was 'Wow, I've never seen muscles so short/tight.' It's so bad, that I once threw my back up while running - my hamstring pulled so violently on my back that I actually feel backwards while sprinting forward.

My eye pressure is abnormally high, to the point where I was ineligible for eye surgery. The Army did it anyway, and now my eye pressure is, supposedly, stupidly high.

Most of my toe nails are flat, and several actually grow up instead of straight out, due to my cousin dropping a 50 pound rock on my toes when we were 6 years old.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm just all wrong. My legs are massively long compared to my torso, I think I'd be a little person if my legs were proportional to the rest of my body. I'll never have a nice figure because there's only about two inches between the bottom of my ribs and my hips, so there's just no space for my waist to exist.

My left hand is a lot longer/wider span than my right hand. Maybe from playing piano at an early age? I dunno.

I can see my entire nose, it blocks my view...yet I still find it hard to breathe through my nose.

My shoulders and elbows are hypermobile, but my legs are extremely inflexible and I can't even come CLOSE to touching my toes.

Oh, and my eyebrows only go halfway across.

Basically, I'm like a bad drawing. If I drew/modeled out my body with exact proportional accuracy, I'd probably get a lot of critique saying everything is wrong, haha.

Baffle said:
I'm a man with (sharp) child-bearing hips. I don't expect that feature to be useful.

Also, incredibly bony and sensitive shins. Not usual, just annoying.
And I've got muscular shoulders that are wider than my hips. I haven't found a use for that, either.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I could stick both my legs behind my head. Bear in mind this was when I was fat (20 stone), so I thought it was rather odd.

I assume I can still do it now, but I haven't actually tried in a while.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I was born ambidextrous. I can fully write, paint, draw, cut, weld... with both hands equally, and even worse I can do two different tasks with each hand at the same time. I had teachers accuse me of having someone else do my work before and had to prove both papers were mine. Sometimes it is weird because I will write with both hands in one paper, one sentence, even one word. I also had someone think one of my paintings were done by two people, and that was funny.

I also am a supertaster ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster ) which is problematic at times because I taste and smell things others cannot and it makes eating certain foods more difficult.

In addition I have enhanced hearing and am able to hear things many others cannot and identify locations of sounds that others cannot even hear. It is Freaky and was extremely irritating when living in a dorm, apartment, or even in the city because I actually hear other people in their homes and cannot sleep because of all the noise they are making.

I am kind of a freak of nature I guess. LOL

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I can't click or crack my joints even when I feel like I need to.
I'm missing a finger nail and have two small pointy bits of nail in it's place. It's as strange as it sounds and I don't know why I have it.
My spine is... strange. It's hunched and curved over at the top and goes in a lot more than most peoples. I really hope surgery can fix it one day.
I have little to no nostril hair so I'm always snivelling and sneezing and getting stuff up my nose and itching it.
Some of my features haven't grown since I was about 10 y/o (feet - I had huge feet as a kid, my hands are tiny child-like size and just me in general hasn't grown much).
I have 'normal' skin, it isn't oily or sensitive and I've never had acne/spots but I burn like a frigging ginger. I just go straight to red then back to white. I'd like a nice tan :(

I also need to book an x-ray because one of my ribs feels out of place which I'm certain is because of my extended use of corsets.