Body Quirks

Aug 19, 2010
Something is wrong with my thumbs, as I can bend them backwards 90+ degrees without touching it with anything.
People are consistently weirded out by it. Sometimes their curiosity defeats their repulsedness, they grab my thumb and bend it back themselves. There is no resistance what so ever, like the entire thumb is made out of rubber or something.
This same "rubber-bone" phenomenon occurs everywhere in my body, though not as severely.

Another strange thing is my jaw. Sometime out of its ow accord, it jumps into a weird locked position where I am unable to open or close it any further than its current position. I also get cramps when I yawn.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
When I'm falling asleep, I can feel that I'm about to have a huge shiver. Then I shiver quite violently for a second. It gets quite annoying when my dog or my girlfriend are in the same bed as me, or even using me as a mattress.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Lynx said:
Ooh, and if I use a cotton swab in my left ear, it tickles my throat and I cough. Strange entanglement of nerves, I'm guessing. :p
I get that same feeling, in both ears. I've no idea if it's normal. I guess I assumed it was? o_O

Don't know why I'd assume that though :p

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I have a little flap of skin that covers the inside corner of my eyes. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, though I suppose it keeps grit out in some conditions.

The bone structure of my wrists only permits them to bend back about half as far as most folks. On the up side, a lot of wrist locks just don't work on me.

My hamstrings are simultaneously abnormally tight and yet quite stretchy. It causes me significant discomfort to touch my toes (and usually requires outside assistance), but I've never had a hamstring injury.

My feet are flat. When I run, my feet arch. This causes my heelbone to rub the nerves raw in the back of my foot as it wags back and forth. Running for more than a mile or so is very painful, at least in the traditional heel-toe pattern you expect from someone wearing shoes.

I can see the flicker rate of most LED lighting, particularly that used by automotive lights. This can occasionally lead to migraines while driving at night if I get stuck behind a car that has them.

My reaction time is freakishly fast. Paradoxically, my depth perception is freakishly bad. I flail spastically faster than anyone I know.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Blow_Pop said:
If I don't shower daily, you can tell by how unwashed my hair looks(and I mean daily by a 24 hour period of time). My hair gets oily quick. And my face is excessively oily causing me to break out in zits and blackheads especially during the summer months.
I'm the same way. If my skin and hair were any more oily I'd be fending off wildcatters from Exxon-Mobil.
Actually, this may have something to do with shampoo being bad for your hair. A while back I remember a lot of people making a big deal about no longer using shampoo because they had just found out that it is bad for your hair. I haven't actually looked into this since I heard about it, so I don't know if it's just one of those lifestyle fads spearheaded by people who don't really know or understand the science on this stuff or if it is actually legit.

Supposedly, shampoo strips your hair of most of its natural oil, oils that protect your hair and keep it strong. Your hair tries to overcompensate for this lack of oils, but the shampoo acts as a barrier too. This means you need more shampoo than before to get rid of grease. When you stop bathing for a fair amount of time, your hair will just be piling on that pent up oil to make up for all the oil that was stripped away and, in addition, all the oil it couldn't release.

The reason we use shampoo is because soap is not as effective in alkaline water and actually caused its own problems to hair when used in this alkaline water. Mineral heavy water became a lot more common in civilized areas, so soap was out of the question. And, so, shampoo was introduced as something that would work well in either bathing situation. It was not realized at the time it would create new problems as a result of how it was made and what toxins are put into it. Just like the rest of this though, this is only hearsay. I'd look into it though and see if that has anything to do with it. Just make sure to do better research than the hearsay and the couple of Google searches I did, haha.

OT: Well, I was checked for scoliosis as a kid in middle school and it looked like I might have it just based on a physical examination. When my Mom and I followed up on this by getting actual scans and an examination by a medical professional it turned out I didn't. What school officials were feeling was a twisted vertebra, almost 180 degrees if memory serves. It's a very rare condition, I don't remember the name of it unfortunately, but it's not something that's going to cause damage to my back over time.

I do have back problems however, though it is mostly related to excessive bad posture and lack of the TYPE of physical exercise that will kind of force posture alignment and back strengthening. I was a runner in high school, but, as far as I know, it doesn't naturally help your back problems. You have to train for form versus other types of physical exercise that are not possible to do without proper posture, so you will be more intuitively forced into it in the latter. All 4 years I continued to run in a way that wasn't helping my back though my form wasn't so bad that it had a negative effect, probably just a net or slight positive effect...or at least I like to think that. My back problems aren't too bad though and I do back exercises and put cushioners on chairs and couches sometimes. I just need to exercise my back more often.

On the plus side, if I get put into a situation, in which I have to mention something different/cool/strange/unusual about myself and I can't think of anything I can always default to the twisted vertebra I got going on. So, it always comes in handy in situations like this.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Well I've got loads of scars but that's more of an issue with the brain rather than the body. Right leg is a solid inch longer than the left, not to mention my skeleton seems to be...pointier than average, knuckles shins and elbows can give someone a good jab. Add to that the different musculature due to the loads of muscle damage, I'm a very boney person. :p

Oh and I occasionally get twitches.

Sep 24, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Proto Taco said:
-I can hear electronics. This is seriously the most surreal of my quirks. When I'm around tech my ears are filled with this noise like ringing television static. Old CRT monitors are the worst offenders of this, although it does give me a neat party trick. I can sit in the next room and tell someone when they're changing the channel on an old CRT television, it causes a hiccup in the noise. Doesn't work with flat panels though, I've no idea why. Also, when I'm away from technology the sound is much, much, lower, muted almost.
I do this too!
I can hear if a TV, radio or any sort of similar electronics are on.
To me its more of a high-pitched noise almost outside my range, but still very noticeable.

I can still sleep with anything going on around me, as I usually keep my computer on 24/7.
Funny story, I actually slept through a tree-felling right outside my bedroom window.
I live out in the woods, so no other noises around (except birds, planes..did I mention planes? every other minute a plane goes by overhead) but they felled that massive tree with chainsaws, tractors, etc.
I slept through it all.
I feel less like a freak now. Or, if I am a freak, I'm not alone. The worst sound to me has always been lights. They are like a step away from a gnat buzzing around your ear in terms of annoyance. I usually like to keep a fan on all the time just because it drowns out the sound better than most other things (that, and I'm constantly hot as well)

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I had a bilateral cleft lip and palate at birth.

I was hoping to finish all the surgeries to fix the complications that came to my teeth because of it, but they had to give up early. So now my entire top row of teeth is fucked and always will be.

BUT HEY BOTTOM ROW'S PRETTY GOOD SO NO BIGGIE.

It also makes me look a little odd in pictures and has led to me not being very inclined to having photos taken of me.

I have scars behind both of my ears from various surgeries both relating and unrelated to the cleft lip and palate.

I could probably think of more but right now I think that's enough.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Proto Taco said:
-I can hear electronics. This is seriously the most surreal of my quirks. When I'm around tech my ears are filled with this noise like ringing television static. Old CRT monitors are the worst offenders of this, although it does give me a neat party trick. I can sit in the next room and tell someone when they're changing the channel on an old CRT television, it causes a hiccup in the noise. Doesn't work with flat panels though, I've no idea why. Also, when I'm away from technology the sound is much, much, lower, muted almost.
I do this too!
I can hear if a TV, radio or any sort of similar electronics are on.
To me its more of a high-pitched noise almost outside my range, but still very noticeable.
I can do that, too--it always surprises people whenever I tell them "You forgot to turn off the TV/Radio/etc." Just because the screen is black or there's no sound doesn't mean it's turned off, heh. What's kinda nifty about this is that I have tinnitus as well, so I've gotten really good at discerning various ringing sounds from the one I constantly hear. And yeah, older electronics are much easier for me to hear, as well.

Let's see, what else? I have naturally long eyelashes--quite a few girls I knew back in Middle School and High School called me out on them. More often than not they also wished they had my hair, since it's naturally curly and has, I guess they're called "finger-waves", if I comb it against my head after a shower. If my hair's long enough, the waves actually form two or three perfect ring-indentations all around my head.

My left ankle cracks all the time going up or down stairs, but not the right. I'm incredibly sensitive to the taste and smell of dairy and so I rarely eat it, but can't smell fish for the life of me (probably why I don't mind eating seafood cold). All of my fingers are crooked in some ways, like they were individually broken, but none have ever been--my toes are the same way. The toenails on one foot are completely different from the ones on the left. And I guess I have a bigger butt than most guys, although I've never bothered, nor had the desire, to compare mine to other's, but some people have brought it up. Now that I think on it, it's odd that most people notice the oddities of my body whereas I'm pretty "Meh" on it all.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Hmmmmm, so mine is a little weird. So I will be putting it in spoiler tags. Just so you know, it's about my testicles. Not deformity or anything gross like that. Just something every human has ended up with, only mine is in a weird spot.

My birth mark is on the bottom of my testicles. Don't ask how I learned where they are, I can't even remember. But I just know they're there.

Other than that little fun fact. My left thumb is double-jointed so I can pop it back in and out of place. I tend to use it to either freak or impress people. Depends on the audience.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
In my nuclear family I'm the only one with brown eyes. My eyes look asian I've been told. For as white as I am my hair has a lot of Volume. My roommate thinks I might be partly Native America, witch I could see given my family history. Oh and I'm not sure about this one, but my dad can see light 20% better then most people so I likely can as well.