Bodycount Creative Director: "F*ck Realism"

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Awesome, a game developer who gets it, we don't want more gritty brown games, we want FUN.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Fuck Realism I want SURREALism.

Games that aspire to be realistic needlessly are always mediocore...I felt GTA:IV is the villian of all the traps of Realism.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Saw an interview with someone from this team, may even have been him, about this game in a Game Informer. It looks amazing. Sounds like it could top Black, especially since they're focusing on destruction quite a bit.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
If a developer truly wants to fuck realism, they'll fuck their obsession with realistic graphics. In the games as art debate, a lot of lauded art isn't a realistic representation of something, it's an interpretation. The best artworks aren't all hyper realistic looking.

This is solely regarding visuals mind you.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I read a preview on this game the other day, it sounded so damn good.

Destruction of All buildings, rediculous over the top weapoonry, bright coloufull levels, its all so much awesome sounding-ness for one game to handle.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Stuart Black, I love you for this and you are my new God for game design philosophy.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Really, the most shocking thing about this article is that Codemasters is still around. I'm surprised... I really haven't seen their brand stuck on many games, and I never see them in the context of the big names, but they still live on, which is pretty sweet.

Although, I don't know why I should be surprised since they definitely developed the best game ever [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Dizzy].

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like this may be a game developer who finally gets it. I don't pay $50-60 dollars to have some game developer fail at recreating reality. If I want reality, I get it for free when I wake up in the morning. I pay a game developer $50-60 to create a fun, entertaining and immersive experience. Mimicking reality is not necessary to that objective. The only thing that I would say is necessary is to establish the rules and nature of the game-reality(sorry, I'm lacking a better word to explain the concept I wish to convey) and not violate them; i.e. maintain self-consistency of the game-world. When you try to make a game realistic(mimicking real-life's reality), so often, it seems, you run into situations where the rules have to be violated for the sake of the game. This, in turn, destroys immersion and the fun-factor.