Boeing Laser System Kills a Plane

Steeveeo

Sep 2, 2008
Why do I sense that when this goes into service, there will be a LOT of operators of this using kill lines such as:

"The MATRIX has you, *****." *click*

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Pew Pew...
Hang, on is this Boeing as in Boeing seris of planes?!
THEY BUILD LAZERS ALSO?!

O.T. in a way lazer weapons will be better, (DUH) not in just easyer kills, but idk maybe less civilians getting caught in fights and stuff?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Don't get the facination with lasers, any sizable cloud of water mist or dust will diffuse and refract the the beam. Can't imagine they'd be useful in places like Iraq or Afghanistan with all their dust and sandstorms.

The Rail guns are all but done, sure it might not be as cool, but a 2kg slug fired at 5 times the speed of sound will do more damge.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
VitusPrime said:
Pew Pew...
Hang, on is this Boeing as in Boeing seris of planes?!
THEY BUILD LAZERS ALSO?!

O.T. in a way lazer weapons will be better, (DUH) not in just easyer kills, but idk maybe less civilians getting caught in fights and stuff?
Well Boeing makes a lot of our military craft, and are responsible for designing the YAL-1, which is basically a massive laser mounted inside of a Boeing 747. Think of a cross between an AC-130 and Star Wars.

It just so happens that the work that they do for the YAL-1 also has other applications. Such as mounting AA lasers on Humvees.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The_Oracle said:
So, um. They named the hovering laser system of death MATRIX? Are they trying to strike fear and horror into the hearts of the public?

But anyway...I had no idea laser technology had come quite this far. If they can do this, who's to say, I don't know, laser tanks aren't next?
I know, I thought of that too. But then I thought, "I would do the same thing."

But I'm a bit worried about what Boeing could do with this tech. They could monopolize the air travel industry, then imagine what prices would be like.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Kollega said:
It looks like US Air Forces are CHARGING THEIR LAZORZ! Now just polish these systems to a mirror-shine (pun very much intended), and we're good to go.
Indeed. Let the "pew pew pew" wars commence!

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
The_Oracle said:
So, um. They named the hovering laser system of death MATRIX? Are they trying to strike fear and horror into the hearts of the public?

But anyway...I had no idea laser technology had come quite this far. If they can do this, who's to say, I don't know, laser tanks aren't next?
Yeah i imagine lotsa of young boys playing ONLY, all the wrong games since birth will be fascinated, and quickly join the military. ohhh wait a sec...

wwjdftw

Mar 27, 2009
darthmath said:
im not entirely sure where i saw the article but i believe police forces were experimenting with a sort of civilian (or rather anti civilian) laser technology. it was meant to cause intense pain and minor burns however the laser could not shoot through metallic surfaces meaning that a simple thin layer of say... aluminum underneath a persons clothing would make them immune to this weaponry.
that would just be a giant laser pointer... infared... >.>

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
At the risk of being a huge killjoy, because the technology is unquestionably impressive... When are we going to get something to keep a suicide bomber from blowing up in the middle of a crowded market? Or against setting off a roadside bomb with a cel phone, without cutting off communications for everyone else in the area? The likelihood of NATO facing off against a signifcant airborne attack in the next decade seems relatively slim, especially one that can't be dealt with with the existing huge technological advantage in the air.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
Tom Goldman said:
High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator
Is this just a salesman that gets parachuted in to show all the bad guys how amazing this laser stuff is?
Of course, that's what we have him for:

He could sell ice to polar bears.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
wow, do you think matrix was an accident, or maybe, just maybe, they planned the name!
OT: here comes the empire, the boeing will soon be called a tie fighter, and people will create shields
damn you lucas!