Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

The Mechromancer's "Best Friends Forever" skill tree makes aim optional.

Gearbox Software's Borderlands made waves with its blend of first-person shooting and heavy RPG elements, but the mixed genres left some players isolated. What if your co-op buddy loves the Diablo-style loot progression but can't aim a pistol to save their life? Gearbox may have a solution in the form of a casual-focused skill tree for the game's planned fifth character class, the Mechromancer.

"The design team was looking at the concept art and thought, you know what, this is actually the cutest character we've ever had," said lead designer John Hemingway. "I want to make, for the lack of a better term, the girlfriend skill tree. This is, I love Borderlands and I want to share it with someone, but they suck at first-person shooters. Can we make a skill tree that actually allows them to understand the game and to play the game? That's what our attempt with the Best Friends Forever skill tree is."

The Mechromancer will have a few ways to make the frenetic combat of Borderlands more accessible. One of the first skills in the tree, Close Enough, causes bullets that miss enemies to sometimes ricochet off walls and other objects towards the bad guys. A gameplay preview of the Mechromancer saw her using this ability to keep herself behind cover, spraying bullets in the general direction of the enemy and still scoring hits. The tree may also make use of her pet robot, Deathtrap, who can be summoned to draw enemies' attention from the player.

Best Friends Forever is currently the Mechromancer's only finished tree, but Hemingway mentioned that he would like to try using another of her trees as a counterpoint to the casual aspects of BFF. "Right now, I'm thinking of it as a hardcore mode. So if you are a really expert player, and you want to do some tricky, difficult things, this is the tree for you, for just a totally different experience. We're not ready to talk about it, because we have no idea if it's even going to pan out. But we've got some interesting ideas there."

Hemingway thinks the Mechromancer's third skill tree could be based around lightning and shock weapons. "It's all about shields and electrical damage," he said. "We've never really had an electrical-themed character skill tree. So that's exciting to me."

The Mechromancer is planned to launch about 60 days after the release of Borderlands 2, which itself is expected to be out on September 18. Players will be able to add her to their team via DLC for an unannounced price, though it's free to anyone who pre-orders the game.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-13-borderlands-2-gearbox-reveals-the-mechromancers-girlfriend-mode]

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
EDIT
That's it, I'm deleting this. People keep quoting me the same thinh regardless of multiple people doing it on the first page. It wouldn't so bad if the people who agreed with me quoted me too, instead of the ones that just hate me.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Palademon said:
So my options are piss easy or nut breaking?
Why can't I just have a serious character?
Because this is Borderlands.

I think this is a cute idea. I don't need it though. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend that's actually better at FPS than me. And yes, that's kinda hot.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If its anything like borderlands 1 focusing on one specific damage type leads to really boring gameplay. I quit Brick around level 20 because he was optimized around explosive damage only. He was super powerful but really repetitive.

In contrast the Siren's bullet speed and the Soldier's magazine capacity abilities makes all weapons better so you can choose not only what is best for the current situation but also whatever you think will be the most fun without sacrificing effectiveness.

The girlfriend mode thing is pretty funny but it makes sense. One of the main features of diablo style gameplay is the ability to choose your difficulty level based on your build. Borderlands 1 didn't have that because some skills were either terrible or highly situational so there really wasn't more than one build per character possible. It didn't matter because at least for me 3 of the 4 characters had enough variety to beat the vanilla game and the DLC.

But I'm hoping BL2 will have viable build choices so that my soldier doesn't play the same as my friend's soldier.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
The unfortunate choice of title for this mode aside, this really does sound like a great idea! My wife can't really keep up with me, my son or my daughter. Something like this would allow her to play along with the rest of us and not get frustrated.

Why not just call it Casual-mode or some such?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.
Wow, that was close. Merely one minute later and your INB4 would have been too late.

OT: This is actually the first Borderlands 2 character that sounds interesting to me. All 3 of her proposed skill trees, in fact. Unfortunately I'm not likely to ever be able to play as her, as I'm still not sufficiently interested in the game as a whole to go pre-order it.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
I like the idea of having a non-finesse character that can either be tweaked for casual/non-FPS-veteran gamers or to add challenge for the super-hardcores.

Hemingway derped out in public, cue the outrage. To his credit, Randy Pitchford was rather quick to tweet Hemingway under the bus and acknowledge what a bone-headed remark that was (of course, there's a lot of karma to burn off for DNF).

Continue to be more excited for Borderlands 2 with each passing day!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with the name. She is a girl, if you were dating she would be helping you out. There ya go.
I think the concept is pretty cool, but electric weaponry was never very good in the original Borderlands.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Palademon said:
So my options are piss easy or nut breaking?
Why can't I just have a serious character? The concept of "Girlfriend Mode" sounds demeaning to me, and I'm not even female.
Well, I hear there's this great concept also floating around: it's called "every other character". Only rumoured so far though, so I might be wrong.

OT: Having an integrated easy-mode for people who can't keep up, but still want to play co-op? Awkward description, brilliant idea.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
Chairman Miaow said:

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.
Isn't associating casual play with being female the very definition of sexism? Being bad at FPS games isnt inherent to being male or female.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I think this is a cute idea. I don't need it though. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend that's actually better at FPS than me. And yes, that's kinda hot.
What, no "I didn't ask for this?"

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I think this is a cool idea. Maybe not how I would've implemented it since that leaves 4 characters that the other person can't really choose, but I like that they're considering everyone playing.

DVS BSTrD said:
If you can't aim a pistol you shouldn't be playing FPS. Period.
Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Kargathia said:
Well, I hear there's this great concept also floating around: it's called "every other character". Only rumoured so far though, so I might be wrong.

OT: Having an integrated easy-mode for people who can't keep up, but still want to play co-op? Awkward description, brilliant idea.
Fine, I'll retract my stupid and expected statement.
The Mechromancer was just my favourite class design.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Jhooud said:
Why not just call it Casual-mode or some such?
Well in all fairness the skill tree is called Best Friends Forever and not "Girlfriend mode" as that was more of a personal and, turns out, inflammatory anecdote to describe what the skill tree's goal was. I believe one of the skills they are considering is giving a % chance for missed bullets to bounce and redirect back at enemies which I can see as good for those who can't aim worth a damn but also pretty powerful in the hands of someone using a high damage/high rate of fire/low accuracy weapon like the Vladof machine guns or even wide spread shotguns (Sledge's shotgun anyone).

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
[insert Jonah Hill Superbad meme here]
I thought people played games in order to pretend to do things they couldn't do in real life. Fuck me, right?

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
I think this is a cool idea. Maybe not how I would've implemented it since that leaves 4 characters that the other person can't really choose, but I like that they're considering everyone playing.

DVS BSTrD said:
Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.
you know everyone has their opinions...and before you go on about "elitist scum" do you really want a wave of kids who can't aim staright flooding in your game? think about it. that whinny 6 year-old you constantly see everyday? now imagine if he was xbox live. And chances are they only thing stopping him from going on it are that he lacks the skills to actually play. Do you really want those kinds of people on xbox live? do you?

in other words...
<youtube=jG2KMkQLZmI>