Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Biodeamon said:
that whinny 6 year-old you constantly see everyday? now imagine if he was xbox live.
Two things.

1. There's no need to imagine. That's what Xbox LIVE is. That's all it is.

2. The implication that Xbox LIVE is in any way a go-to for first-person shooters is laughable to me, and I don't even make a regular habit of playing them.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Boudica said:
Yeah, this site is baws. Just... little things add up on me. Every time something happens, even if it's minor, it's just another thing that annoys me. Most of it comes from the wider gaming community and not here, too.
It's easy to feel like a target, sometimes. Any time someone makes a silly British accent I want to slaughter half of America, so I get the feeling of being a minority. But yeah (barring that one totally sexist dude you quoted) this site is like a safe house, out of reach from the crazy 12 year olds on Xbox Live.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
If you can't aim a pistol you shouldn't be playing Borderlands. Period.
This. Really, who cant play a FPS? They are the most simplest and easiest games for a person to play. Aim with cross hairs.....bang.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I am demeaning and I find this female.

Why did said man not refer to it as casual mode, or friend mode? I know more guys who don't play shooters than girls who don't :|

Plus, most of the guys I know who play Borderlands have girlfriends who like video games too and are well practiced at shooters, but I suppose not every guy can have such perfect girlfriends.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Cognimancer said:
After what they were trying to do with Ellie (the fat mechanic NPC), I had higher hopes for Borderlands 2. They set out to intentionally create a character that was not sexualized, not typically considered beautiful, but also never painted as goofy or pitiful. That showed a lot of potential to demonstrate maturity in handling a tough issue.

Then they decide to call this "girlfriend mode." So many things wrong with that decision, especially when it's pretty clear there were myriad other names they could have given it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Snowbell said:
I am demeaning and I find this female.

Why not call it casual mode, or friend mode? I know more guys who don't play shooters than girls who don't :|

Plus, most of the guys I know who play Borderlands have girlfriends who like video games too and are well practiced at shooters, but I suppose not every guy can have such perfect girlfriends.
Dastardly said:
Cognimancer said:
After what they were trying to do with Ellie (the fat mechanic NPC), I had higher hopes for Borderlands 2. They set out to intentionally create a character that was not sexualized, not typically considered beautiful, but also never painted as goofy or pitiful. That showed a lot of potential to demonstrate maturity in handling a tough issue.

Then they decide to call this "girlfriend mode." So many things wrong with that decision, especially when it's pretty clear there were myriad other names they could have given it.
This was mentioned in the article, and in several of the posts in this thread, but it's not officially called "girlfriend mode", it's the "Best Friends Forever" skill tree of the Mechromancer class. Supposedly another tree will be centered on shields and electrical weapons, and the third on difficult to pull off tricks.

Also yes, it's a bit sexist, but given that most of the point is to target your significant other (or child, or other person you have a close personal relationship with and would want to game with you regardless of skill) who might not be as serious of a gamer as you are (or an FPS gamer at all) so they can play with you without being a detriment to the team. Given that the target audience (and if you listen to "teh feminists" the sole target audience even though it should never ever be the target audience of anything) is probably 15-30 males, the devs likely envision it being used to get your girlfriend into the game, especially since it's on the "cute" female character.

Oct 30, 2010
Lesson 1,028: Think long and hard about revealing a feature's in-house nickname in an interview.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Wow, the inb4 in this thread REALLY was worth it and the moment I saw the title of the article I knew it was coming, since on the escapist, any reference to anything ever remotely related to gender will always be met with a shitstorm of epic proportions.
IN conclusion, I bring you a new title for the mode:
The "person of unspecified species, gender, age, physical build and skin colour, whom you may or may not be in an loving/caring/friendly/emotionally distant/hateful/know each other from work relationship with, which does not regularly indulge in playing FPS-games but wishes to play with you anyways" - mode.
Better?
And I for one know more girls than guys who do not play First-Person-Shooters. Am I a bad person now?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Sparrow said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Sparrow said:
Aaaaand I'm suddenly reminded why I wanted this game. Haven't heard much about it lately, nice to get a little news on the Gearbox front.

Chairman Miaow said:
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.
Oh man, the post literally right after yours said it was sexist. It's shameful how ridiculous some of the users are getting on here. It's not sexism, you nit-picking white-knight wannabes. It's a funny name. Yeesh.
I'd be annoyed if that was actually what it was called and I'm a woman... it's not 'funny' and it is sexist.

I think most people would agree.
It really isn't sexist. It's a tongue in cheek joke. It's a funny little poke at the fact some guys play videogames with their girlfriends who have no idea what they're doing. The guy isn't saying "Women can't play videogames!", he's saying "Some folks can relate to this title in a humorous fashion!"

Honestly, if you feel insulted by it then you offend far too easily.
It is sexist because it singles out one sex and suggest they are not as good as another....that's pretty much the definition of sexism.

'Some folks' meaning men, while women can just sit there and be insulted yeah?

Edit: Oh look @Boudica fielded it for me.

Team Feminism.

(and yes we do spend most of our time fighting each other)