Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Mouse One said:
The concept of a noob mode is a good one. A lot of games have something similar in that there's a class or item/weapon that is outpowered by better players in other classes, but is somewhat more forgiving for noobs. And everyone's a noob at least once.

Re: the girlfriend comment. Yeah, it's an off the cuff comment-- although hardly unique. But given the recent sexist nastiness about games on the internets, I won't fault folks for being a bit hair trigger. Let's do a little thought experiment: what would you think if a developer had come up with a mode in which you didn't have pay as much for upgrades and called it "Jew mode"? Even if he just jokingly called it that in an interview?
There's a difference, a big one. The idea that Jewish people are cheap is a hateful, lie, with no factual basis. The idea that it's not uncommon for a gamer to date someone who isn't into games, yet want to share that enjoyment of games with them is not a far stretch. In fact I'd say it's much more likely to happen than a situation in which both members of a relationship are hardcore gamers. It takes many things to make a relationship work, wanting to share the things you love is one of them, having the same skill at FPS games is not.

Sad to say but some stereotypes and cliches are stereotypes and cliches for a reason.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Chairman Miaow said:
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.
INB4? Really?

Well, people are going to complain, because the term they are using to describe this tree is a bit sexist. And pre-order DLC is horrible, because basically they are forcing you to buy it without waiting for reviews or other player's recommendations to see if it's actually good. They are selling an unfinished game and making you buy it blindingly under the ruse that the "extras" you get from pre-ordering are actually bonuses, when in reality they are parts of the game they took out for marketing reasons.

Also, pre-order DLC usually means they are not very confident on their game selling on their own merits. That being said I am also very annoyed that if I get this game I won't get the full version, since I won't be in the country to claim a pre-order. And this easier tree is a good idea, the term they are using to describe it, is stupid.
Wasn't sexist, and it's not what they are using to describe it. It was an anecdote, refering to his own girlfriend, who he likes to play games with but isn't as good as him, he wasn't talking about all women. And yeah, pre-order DLC sucks, but a million posts going "OMGWTF PRE-ORDER SUCKS!" won't change anything, it will just clog up the thread.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Allthingsspectacular said:
NightHawk21 said:
Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.
You know, I can't actually remember a point when this was true.
Then you must be quite young. I just turned 20 a few months back and I remember the point quite clearly. That and/or you are exclusively a pc gamer and have never picked up a console controller.

RazielXT

Oct 19, 2009
NightHawk21 said:
NightHawk21 said:
Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.
Then you must be quite young. I just turned 20 a few months back and I remember the point quite clearly. That and/or you are exclusively a pc gamer and have never picked up a console controller.
So true, im PC gamer and I still dont understand how can people aim with joystick (except that I remember there is some autoaim system introduced by Halo). If I had to use joystick for fps Id probably have problems to suicide, not to mention get kills.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Thing about this, is that I agree with this yet disagree... But then again, the reason why I disagree falls through, when I mention "Camp Boyfriend Mode".

Like I said on the New Wrap, I think it's nice they're labeling the one person I would consider ever using this mode with. My Girlfriend usually just watches me and judges my every action, on games such as Fallout, Catherine and so on... Especially Catherine, since I've made Vincent to be a bigger player than what I am (Pun).

Can't you just turn it off though?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
So... can anyone explain to me why this was so "controversial"? Is it because the guy referenced to his girlfriend? Is that it?

OT: I really like this. My sister is usually pretty bad at FPS games so maybe this will be the game that will convert her to the master race of camera views.

Mar 7, 2012
NightHawk21 said:
NightHawk21 said:
I'm 22.

Though, I did start FPS gaming on PCs. Which helped considerably.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Hey guy,s let's focus on one poorly chosen phrase and use it as an excuse to feel superior to the people who are making shit for us. That's a plan.

Either way, this character really interests me. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
So... can anyone explain to me why this was so "controversial"? Is it because the guy referenced to his girlfriend? Is that it?

OT: I really like this. My sister is usually pretty bad at FPS games so maybe this will be the game that will convert her to the master race of camera views.
Because he made a comment indicating that could be considered offensive by someone desperately seeking to be offended.

But I guess they're not here, so we have to be offended about it for them.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ignoring the mountain of knee-jerk idiocy in this thread for a moment..

As it pertains to design. I only see problems cropping up in multiplayer, where an intentionally broken class-build could ruin the other players fun.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase 'girlfriend mode' wasn't a calculated move to get free advertising. I mean look at us we're talking about it.

CorruptCor3

May 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
If you can't aim a pistol you shouldn't be playing Borderlands. Period.
What does that mean? Is Borderlands a high class game that can't be contaminated by beginners? Will it ruin the game for you if someone else somewhere isn't very good at video games? Or do you mean real pistols, which is infinitely more stupid.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Mygaffer said:
They don't have to bring it out early, they just have to sell it early. Ergo, day one DLC. Hell, it is worse than day one b/c you have to pre-order!
Wow so a dlc that will be released 2 months after the game has been released (60 days (it is even mentioned in the article)) is day one dlc these days ..... just wow.

I heard a lot of silly things but calling the Mechromancer a day one dlc is the most silliest ever.

A lot of games these days give you a free dlc when you pre-order (or get the special edition).