Borderlands 2 Special Editions Bring the Loot

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Borderlands 2 Special Editions Bring the Loot

Trade Gearbox your money for a giant box of gear.

Borderlands has traditionally been about two simple pleasures: killing near everything that moves, and draining the contents of anything with a lid into what are, presumably, some awkwardly large pockets. While you'll still need to wait for September to do the first, 2K Games and Gearbox Software are giving players the chance to case two limited edition collections of Borderlands 2 booty prior to launch.

First up is the "Deluxe Vault Hunter's Collector's Edition" which comes stuffed with a Marcus Kincaid bobblehead, Inside the Vault: The Art & Design of Borderlands 2 hardbound book, sticker set, virtual comic, map, some yet-to-be-announced in-game downloadable bonus content, and, naturally, a copy of Borderlands 2. The whole package comes in at $100.

Now, if something merely "deluxe" just isn't going to satisfy your epic lust for Pandora swag, 2K Games is also offering the "Ultimate Loot Chest Limited Edition" for $50 more. Pick up this set to receive everything from the Vault Hunter's edition, plus a scaled replica of the classic Borderlands red loot chest, a steel book case, a Creatures of Pandora wide-format ID chart, lithograph postcard set, field notes from Sir Hammerlock, cloth map of Pandora, and a numbered certificate of authenticity for when that stubborn buddy of yours just refuses to believe that those field notes weren't forged.

[gallery=718]

All editions (including the run-of-the-mill standard) are available for preorder on Xbox, PS3, and PC. Gamers who plan ahead and lock in an early copy will also receive access to the "Borderlands 2 Premiere Club," which unlocks the Gearbox Gun Pack; a Golden Key that's "used to unlock a rare in-game item in the mysterious Golden Sanctuary Loot Chest;" the Vault Hunter's Relic, an in-game item that boosts the player's fortune; and the Mechromancer, an exclusive fifth character class that will only be available to non-preordering players via paid DLC sometime after launch.

Borderlands 2 doesn't hit shelves until September 18th, but preorders are already up for grabs. [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYK44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337264001&sr=8-1]

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Dat loot chest. God damn.

Mechromancer eh? Sounds pretty bad ass though restricting him to DLC kinda sucks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Damn, I need to know if it will be Steamworks so I can buy one of these special edition monsters. If not, I'll just be preordering the standard edition.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Only $150 for that super edition...I was sure it was gonna be one of those Yeah...not in range *****...also online only...type of ideal...

PERHAPS...

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh, there ain't no rest for the wallet,
merchandise don't grow on trees.
I got cards to post,
I got books to store,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't price down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wallet,
Until the franchise ends for good.
That was so beautiful, you sir are full of win.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Qitz said:
Dat loot chest. God damn.

Mechromancer eh? Sounds pretty bad ass though restricting him to DLC kinda sucks.
"Her", actually. And she's free if you preorder.

The Limmited Edition looks pretty sweet with that loot chest... but I'm still not convinced it's worth $150 bucks. The Collectors Edition definitely looks overpriced. I can see paying $80, but $100 seems excessive.

Hmm... only the standard edition is available for pre-order through Amazon now anyways.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Baresark said:
Damn, I need to know if it will be Steamworks so I can buy one of these special edition monsters. If not, I'll just be preordering the standard edition.
Its been confirmed that Borderlands 2 will be Steamworks, as so many people complained last time.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/29/borderlands-2-steamworks.aspx

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/borderlands-2-to-use-steamworks/

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
VonKlaw said:
Baresark said:
Its been confirmed that Borderlands 2 will be Steamworks, as so many people complained last time.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/29/borderlands-2-steamworks.aspx

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/borderlands-2-to-use-steamworks/
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So I hate special editions with lots of useless junk that does nothing but take up space I don't have. For this game though that looks pretty damn awesome and I do kinda want it.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh, there ain't no rest for the wallet,
merchandise don't grow on trees.
I got cards to post,
I got books to store,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't price down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wallet,
Until the franchise ends for good.
Brilliant, man, absolutely brilliant.

Marcus Kincaid bobblehead?!?! Waaaaaaaant!!!... Now let's see, where did I put all that disposable income I wish I had...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Awesome as the loot chest is, Im fine with just the premiere club pre-order bonus. Hell, I pre-ordered it before they announced the Mechromancer class... thats like... *insert stupid Xzibit "thing inside a thing" line*

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
So this is pretty much how you get people not to pirate games; don't deck your game out with shitty DRM that only hurts paying customers, but LAUNCH LARGE QUANTITIES OF AWESOME CRAP AT THEIR FACE AT HIGH VELOCITY INSTEAD!

Trying to determine if my bank account will cope is a different matter entirely...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Yopaz said:
So I hate special editions with lots of useful junk that does nothing but take up space I don't have. For this game though that looks pretty damn awesome and I do kinda want it.
Then don't get special editions? Getting "junk" that "doesn't nothing but take up space" is a big part of the appeal to a majority of games' special editions. Though granted that they sometimes come with in-game perks, too. So it'd be nice if there was something like a "Kinda special edition" that just has the in-game stuff.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Yopaz said:
So I hate special editions with lots of useful junk that does nothing but take up space I don't have. For this game though that looks pretty damn awesome and I do kinda want it.
Then don't get special editions? Getting "junk" that "doesn't nothing but take up space" is a big part of the appeal to a majority of games' special editions. Though granted that they sometimes come with in-game perks, too. So it'd be nice if there was something like a "Kinda special edition" that just has the in-game stuff.
I don't get special edition that comes with a lot of stuff, so that's hardly an issue. I am saying that for this special edition I wouldn't mind the junk. Still, I gotta agree with you that I love special editions with only in-game stuff.

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
I've never preordered a game in my life, but I'm going to do it because of Steamworks and the blind belief that if I pre-order it they'll make it extra good, just for me.

EDIT: Although I never enjoy in-game prizes for my money, I hope they're optional.