Borderlands 2's Krieg Trailer Is Romantically Psychotic

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Borderlands 2's Krieg Trailer Is Romantically Psychotic

If you think you're awkward in social situations, just wait until you meet this guy.

You may recall that the latest addition the Borderlands 2 crew is a psycho by the name of Krieg [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122873-Borderlands-2-Recruits-a-Playable-Psycho-Class]. This fact left many fans wondering how a violently insane brute could learn to work in harmony with the other Vault Hunters. Well, maybe it was just me who was wondering that, but Gearbox has an answer, and it's probably not what you'd expect. Krieg's new trailer, delightfully titled A Meat Bicycle Built for Two, shows us the soft-spoken romantic trapped in the body of a schizophrenic barbarian.

The trailer depicts Krieg's journey from wasteland savage to joining up with the marginally less insane Vault Hunters. To say more of the story would spoil the clever twist that Gearbox brings to a character that, at first glance, would have been flat as a board in the personality department. So, check out the video. Done? Alright, good.

Krieg's split personality does shine through in gameplay, though it's less pronounced than it is in the video. His inner monologue occasionally shines through, giving players a glimpse of the gentle giant's true thoughts. Of course, given the nature of minute to minute gameplay in Borderlands, you'll spend most of your time invoking his murder-happy persona and gleefully screaming obscene non sequiturs.

Krieg can be recruited by purchasing the Psycho Pack DLC for Borderlands 2, which you can pick up for $9.99.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
That was actually a pretty good trailer. Maybe on the same level of the later TF2 Meet the Team trailers for its purpose.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
If only Krieg had been one of the release characters, I would have played the shit out of him. I do like my Axton but being on my third playthrough with him, I have 0 interest in starting the game yet again with a whole new character.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Just wait 'till you start running this over in a car with him. Some of the lines he spouts then will make you hope you didn't drinking anything recently.

CHOO CHOO!

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
It's good to see that this video kind of explains the "she" that the in-game dialogue seems to point to is Maya, but it popped my hypothesis' bubble at the same time.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really really really need to start playing this game again.

Why did I ever stop playing?

Good trailer though, and I laughed a lot while watching that.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
... Anyone recognise the actor for the voice in his head? I could swear I've heard him before, but the "where" eludes me.

That said, I'm astounded it took pop culture so long to invert the "schizophrenic voices in your head" trope, and have the inner voice be the reasonable one.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This may be thie thing that gets me into Borderlands 2

Kargathia said:
... Anyone recognise the actor for the voice in his head? I could swear I've heard him before, but the "where" eludes me.

That said, I'm astounded it took pop culture so long to invert the "schizophrenic voices in your head" trope, and have the inner voice be the reasonable one.
It reminds me of the dialogue of Sin City actually.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I really like his (inner) voice actor.
He sounds familiar yet awesome.

To me this is probably the best add-on trailer I have ever seen.
Probably because I like his character and his inner voice character.

... and we all know I like the romance genre. >.>

But this might just get me motivated enough to buy some new stuff for BL2 ... and maybe re-download it. x_x

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Everyone should try playing as him. At least the mania tree.

It forces you to rethink how you play and adapt to something totally different. Never before have i ran up to an enemy and yelled at him to shoot me.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I never played a borderlands game in my life although I must say that was pretty funny.
and I predict there will be borderland fans making fan-fics of of these two character.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
This is the only character to get me out of the sniper mindset. Melee all the way!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Krieg is OK, but I wish going in to axe rage healed you like it does for gunzerker. I know it heals on kill but that doesn't help when a missile barrage robot blows you up behind cover and you need the boost to counterattack.

For the "normal" play through all the hunters work but for the TVHM some of them are just better (zero sucks, mechromancer is god, others are slightly above the suckiness of zero.)

I can't imagine the fire tree is viable in tvhm when shields make enemies fire immune, however an endless supply of transfusion grenades seems like a good time.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
Krieg's VA, both sane and insane, is done by Jason Douglas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Douglas

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Krieg is OK, but I wish going in to axe rage healed you like it does for gunzerker. I know it heals on kill but that doesn't help when a missile barrage robot blows you up behind cover and you need the boost to counterattack.
The Capstone of the "Mania" tree gives Krieg 100% of his health back and a second or two of invulnerability whenever you go into Rampage mode with less than 33% of you health remaining. It requires you to play pretty close attention to your health meter and to be quick on the Action Skill button but can be incredibly useful if/when you pull it off.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Viper114 said:
Krieg's VA, both sane and insane, is done by Jason Douglas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Douglas
I thought he sounded familiar... Do the dlc characters get their own intro sequence in the game? Because if they do, this would cover how he got on the train XD

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
IM THE CONDUCTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN!

Oh god why does that make me laugh?
I guess I still have some immaturity left in me for poop humor.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
"I'm the conductor of the poop train" is now the official quote of 2013.

Good trailer, Gearbox does nail their comedy business every now and then! :D

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Kargathia said:

I like the way they did that too. It is a great trailer but I want to play through with the other characters before I think about buying another one.
You got your answer but the way its done reminds me of this old audio verite thing I had on tape about some guy who was involved in some experiment where he was filled with liquor, drugs, and unhealthy food. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? I would be amazed.