Borderlands 3 Abandons Last-Gen Consoles

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Borderlands 3 Abandons Last-Gen Consoles

The next Borderlands game will be "the big one" according to Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford.

Isn't it interesting how developers change their tone given the situation? At PAX South less than a week ago, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford told us that work on the next Borderlands has not yet begun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139630-Borderlands-3-Work-Hasnt-Started-Yet]. Now, Take-Two president Karl Slatoff has at the company's annual earnings call stated that the game is in development, and it won't be coming to the "last-gen" consoles of PS3 and Xbox 360.

According to GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-borderlands-being-made-specifically-for-next-g/1100-6425080/], Slatoff quoted Pitchford at the earnings call, claiming he said the next title will be "the big one," and is being developed "specifically for next-gen consoles." This will be the first Borderlands title to skip the PS3 and Xbox 360, and given Pitchford's wording, we can probably assume it to be a full sequel a-la Borderlands 2, rather than a "half-sequel" like Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

Literally no other information on the title was given, so we can assume that Pitchford's PAX South statement is at least partially correct, and that work on the new game is at a very, very early stage. I wouldn't really expect anything out of it for the next couple years.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-borderlands-being-made-specifically-for-next-g/1100-6425080/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My only concern is that they add something interesting to it. I loved BL1. I liked BL2, but it was so similar to the first game it lost a lot of it's luster, though the humor was better than ever. I honestly just avoided the pre-sequel because I didn't see any proof they did anything different besides the space jump, which didn't seem very interesting to me. I won't play the third one just because it's next gen only. I played them all on the PC, which is a superior experience every step of the way in my opinion.

Sep 24, 2008
Baresark said:
My only concern is that they add something interesting to it. I loved BL1. I liked BL2, but it was so similar to the first game it lost a lot of it's luster, though the humor was better than ever. I honestly just avoided the pre-sequel because I didn't see any proof they did anything different besides the space jump, which didn't seem very interesting to me. I won't play the third one just because it's next gen only. I played them all on the PC, which is a superior experience every step of the way in my opinion.
I just hope there is no Handsome Jack to be found. I'm a well known Jack-Hater, but I honestly felt like you. Borderlands 1 was love. But I really didn't connect with any of the characters in the second as well as I did in the first. It was much like Left4Dead 1 and 2 for me. Bigger, shinier world... and... these guys, I guess.

Now, I get why they made the villain so pivotal to the story. In the first game, the Vault was lauded to be like Suped-up Candy that could pleasure you sexually... and then we got let down. so this time, we need a driving force. Someone to hate. And they spent a lot of time trying to make you feel something for Jack. And the majority of us did. But that leads to my last comment in the previous paragraph: They spent so much time Hyping up Jack and building this character, but put in the bare minimum of time to give your character of choice pithy little comments to remind you that there IS a character there but with no real driving force ("I'm a vault hunter! and don't you feel closer to me with 4 audio tracks of how I was over the entire expanse of the game?!").

The fact that Gearbox hitched their wagon (Multiple Entendre!) to Handsome Jack in THREE games, 2, Pre-Sequel, and Tales in moderate fashion, just makes it less about the player character and more about how cool they can make their avatar of all they consider hip.

It made me feel like I was playing to see the writers gratify themselves with their ultimate picture of who they wanted to be and everyone praising them for it.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I just hope it isn't so... grindy. I liked the characters and various story bits in BL2, but for the most part it was a bit of a loot/level grinding snorefest.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
I'd like to be excited, but I think the series isn't for me. I played a bit of both but just couldn't go on after what I would guess is the mid-point. Not sure why. Had fun with others though, so I guess that's the point.

Either way, hope it's big and/or good. I'll probably end up playing with friends at some point!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
Baresark said:
I just hope there is no Handsome Jack to be found. I'm a well known Jack-Hater, but I honestly felt like you. Borderlands 1 was love. But I really didn't connect with any of the characters in the second as well as I did in the first. It was much like Left4Dead 1 and 2 for me. Bigger, shinier world... and... these guys, I guess.
It's not really possible for Jack to not play a role in 3. 2 establishes that he manipulated the events of 1 completely, so even if he didn't physically appear within the game, he is the primary antagonist for the Borderlands series in the same way that Wily is for Megaman or Bowser is for Mario. Plus, Tales From the Borderlands has thus far shown that just because Jack is dead, it doesn't mean that he doesn't still have plans in motion.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Shinkicker444 said:
I just hope it isn't so... grindy. I liked the characters and various story bits in BL2, but for the most part it was a bit of a loot/level grinding snorefest.
You know I've seen a number of people unhappy with the level of grinding in the Borderlands franchise, but I've never really understood what the problem is. Maybe my view is skewed by all the Dragon Quest I've played but I found that there was no mandatory grinding in Borderlands 2. Sure, you can grind if you want to and I follow people on Twitch and Youtube that'll quite happily do a single boss 100 times in a day, but I found that the first playthrough is easy enough you can quite easily get through the whole story and a bunch of the side quests without grinding or even back-tracking. Once you do the True and Ultimate Vault Hunter Modes grinding becomes a necessity because your build needs to be pitch-perfect, requiring some rare gear, but apart from that I always thought it was quite nicely set up to give you the choice but never the need.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
This generation transition feels far more weird than the previous one, and I can't quite put my finger on why. It shouldn't be a surprise that the new game, which will end up coming out, what, two or three years following the release of the Xbone/PS4, will be next-gen exclusive, but something about it just feels strange.

Iunno.

PS: Thanks for the disclosure, because financial ties are quite a bit more important than personal ones, in my opinion.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So there is a third game afterall? I thought the announcement from PAX was Homeworld remastered or this is something said on the fly?

Either way, it sound like I need to upgrade my pc in order to played the third game.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well, as long as the "big one" doesn't mean "MMO", then I'll be happy. I have no other concerns about the next Bordelands game whatsoever.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
And nobody was surprised that day.

As for how I feel about it, eh, Blands was never really my thing, maybe the third game'll surprise but for some reason I doubt it.
Oddly enough, I'd say my biggest hope is that it'll be more accessible for single players this time 'round, as I was never much into coop style gaming. Although seeing as how I am very much alone in that respect, and that does tend to be one of the stronger draws for the series, I'm not holding my breath.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Frankly I'm surprised they even made the Pre-Sequel apt for last-gen consoles to begin with, but good for them I guess. And good for me: once I'm done with Borderlands 2 the Pre-Sequel will be waiting, and I think I can wait it out a little more before I jump gens.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not really surprising. This game is coming out in a few years, not in a few weeks. By then, I imagine that the next-gen consoles would have seen a very widespread adoption, so I cannot see there being much point in porting a game to the last gen consoles by then.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Good, good. Time to move on and put the inferior technology out to pasture. Earth belongs to the young.

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Nothing about the new gen has made me feel I need to upgrade from PS3 just yet.

I reckon I have enough unplayed games for a few years still so the news is good since I'll have something to look forward to.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
If anyone had the right to abandon the 7th console generation, it's Gearbox. The amount of content available for B2, let alone TPS is a
helluva lot more than most developers can shove into a series within each generation.

Hell, I'm still on Borderlands 2 and haven't touched the Pre-Sequel yet.

I just hope they don't abandon the graphical style; too much time and money spent on graphics means less time and money on
game-play.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
And the no duh award of the week goes to!

chadachada123 said:
This generation transition feels far more weird than the previous one, and I can't quite put my finger on why.
I think it has to do with how little has changed between the last gen and this one. In the past the consoles made major changes with each iteration but this gen has only refined what last gen had. They add nothing new beyond new graphics.