Borderlands 3 Impressions - Problematic Fun

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Borderlands 3 is out now, hooray. Regardless of what might be going on behind the craziness of Randy Pitchford and the shit that Gearbox Software is pulling elsewhere. Borderlands 3 is a game that no doubt many many people are excited for.

I'm pleased to say, that if you were a fan of Borderlands 1 and 2 (not the presequel because nobody liked that garbage) then you are gonna like Borderlands 3. It is SOOOOOOO much like Borderlands 2, that it might as well be Borderlands 2 again. That same funny dialog is there, the crazy NPC characters are there, the cooky villains who aren't as good as Handsome Jack but damn it they are TRYING. It's all here.

There are some modern changes to the game, namely the mechanics of the characters are more elaborate and the game can handle more going on at once than previous games. The hunter guy FL4K, for example, has 3 different pets and they are just always on the battlefield. They aren't his ultimate or anything, they just run around and help kill things with you. Which if you remember the mech girl from BL2, her pet was just an ultimate ability that hung out for a little bit and then left. The guns are more detailed and can do more things. Each gun has an alternate fire which can do any number of things, shoot tiny rockets, tazer people, flamethrower, whatever.

You can see how Borderlands 3 has evolved and become a more detailed game. However it has a bunch of problems and most of them seem to be technical. The game doesn't look any better than BL2, I guess with the cell shaded graphics you can't really get much better than what they've already done in previous games, things might be a little smoother but it not really all that noticeable. The biggest graphical upgrade is particle effects, where elemental damage, pools of poison, and environmental effects seem more prominent in this game than previous ones.

Basically I'm saying all this because the game chugs like a fucking ***** even on my RTX 2080. loading into a new area has such lag and texture pop in that after a new area loads I have to sit and wait another 30-60 seconds for all the textures to finish loading before I can move around. The frame rate is extremely weird, in that during combat it's fine 55+ FPS no problem. But driving around or even just walking from area to area causes locks or just massive dips in FPS sometimes even into the teens. It's like the game struggles to load each section of map as you pass through it, but once it's loaded (like during a fight) the game is fine. I'm playing the game on a 1TB SSD so I don't think it's a problem with my hardware, I just think the optimization is jacked for the game.

And like I said above, the game is basically BL2 again. And that might not be a good thing for some people because if you want to play BL2 again, you could just go an do that. Really the only different things on offer here are the new heroes, which may or may not matter depending on play style. I personally never really used the character abilities much and prefered a more run and gun style in BL2, letting the humor and the crazy guns carry me through the game.

I will say I really like FL4K's pets though, it does wonders to make me feel like my character choice mattered for the way I like to play. Because his pets are almost 100% AI controlled, I can play my run and gun style and still get the benefit of what the character is offering me that is special. So I really like that. The pet can die though in which you can either revive it, or it respawns after about a 60 second window. So you never have to babysit it.

Also you can pet it.

The humor in the game is just as Borderlandsy as ever, most of it leaning towards juvenile dirty jokes, references, and insanity, which might rub some people the wrong way but I really like it. It goes for the obvious and simple gags, because in the mayhem of a fire fight you need the jokes to be simple and easy to process otherwise you'd end up missing most of them. So the style of humor still really fits the game in my opinion.

Frankly the game is a blast. If you can get over the technical problems, and the fact that it's nothing really new. If you want more Borderlands 2, then Borderlands 3 is worth a buy.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I got sick of Borderlands with Pre-Sequel because of Handsome Jack and all the "woke" humor. Are those two still a thing?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The humor really ruined Borderlands 2 for me. There genuinely wasn't a single character I didn't hate.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
I got sick of Borderlands with Pre-Sequel because of Handsome Jack and all the "woke" humor. Are those two still a thing?
Handsome Jack is gone.....I don't notice any "woke" humor. But I'm an out of touch old asshole so i dunno.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm so sad that my usual Vault Hunting Crew are all super busy these days. ;_;

I'm likely going to have to wait until November (when my friends say their schedules open up) before I pick it up, because I'm not risking buying it on Epic, and risk that my friends wait until it comes out on Steam, and now I'm hoping it's cross-platform or else I'm screwed. :s

Honestly, seeing some gameplay footage and seeing that it's Borderlands 2, just with more guns and more abilities had me practically squealing with joy. I'm the one in my circle of pals that got us into the series, and while I skipped the pre-sequel (After 3 full playthroughs of 2, I was all borderlands'd out), I'm still the one who is the most in love with the series.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Played Borderlands 2 once and said ?yup, I?ve seen all this franchise has to offer.? Randy Bitchford hasn?t help change that. Didn?t even bother with most of the DLC.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
What would the opposite of "woke" humor be? Doing the slant eyes chinese [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kx6-NzLpf0] accent thing?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Borderlands has always been a bad franchise. Its a lackluster looter-shooter, with genuinely unlikable characters, terrible writing, repetitive gameplay and a kinda' ugly animation style.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Silentpony said:
Borderlands has always been a bad franchise. Its a lackluster looter-shooter, with genuinely unlikable characters, terrible writing, repetitive gameplay and a kinda' ugly animation style.
Pretty much this. I want gearbox to make next brothers in arms not shitty borderlands game.

Jan 19, 2016
Apparently its running some really performance impacting DRM which is tanking performance (probably VMProtect inside Denuvo). Mind you, its running like shit on console too apparently, so maybe its just really badly optimized?

Jan 27, 2011
B-Cell said:
Pretty much this. I want gearbox to make next brothers in arms not shitty borderlands game.
Didn't we get our fill of bog-standard military shooters during the approximately 18 billion of them that flooded the market in the early 2010s?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Worgen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What would the opposite of "woke" humor be?
If you have to ask, Worgen.
Well, I did ask. I mean, we have a decent number of comedians and such complaining they can't do comedy they way they used to but one of the most common forms of comedy I remember from back in the day was the "silly accent" comedy with the Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese accents being pretty common. Yeah, they have a hard time pronouncing certain letter sounds, that's so hilarious.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
A practical comparison of 2 and 3 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYs4V-92pWw

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
aegix drakan said:
B-Cell said:
Didn't we get our fill of bog-standard military shooters during the approximately 18 billion of them that flooded the market in the early 2010s?
BiA wasn?t a bog-standard military shooter though by any means, in that it actually required the player to think. In a way it?s closer to Arma than anything released every year for the MP crowd.

Jan 27, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
aegix drakan said:
B-Cell said:
BiA wasn?t a bog-standard military shooter though by any means, in that it actually required the player to think. In a way it?s closer to Arma than anything released every year for the MP crowd.
Oh, then I retract that statement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Despite liking the art stlye, I could never get in to Borderlands. I have the 2nd game for free thanks to PS+, but have yet to play it. Besides, I am waiting for Doom Eternal in November. That is the only shooter I will be playing this year.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
aegix drakan said:
B-Cell said:
better than some crappy cartoonish unfunny loot shooter.

beside brothers in arms was tactical shooter. kind of. different than any millitary shoooter

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
B-Cell said:
aegix drakan said:
B-Cell said:
better than some crappy cartoonish unfunny loot shooter.

beside brothers in arms was tactical shooter. kind of. different than any millitary shoooter
I think its worse than being unfunny. Halo isn't funny, and its pretty fun, espcially Reach co-op.

Its that Borderlands thinks its funny. It thinks its radical, and EXTREME and EPIC! It reeks of 'FellowYoungPeople' try-hard memes, from old writers who were in highschool in the 90s and genuinely think the world is nostalgic for that, like 'You know what would be radical? Wayne's World meets Terminator 2, written by 90s era Kevin Smith but edited by a early 2000s edge lord who still goes to Ebaumsworld'