Borderlands 3 Impressions - Problematic Fun

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm pretty much done with Borderlands. I played through one and two, but they were so unmemorable that I really can't remember if I actually made it to the credits of 2. I mean, I think I did, but I have no recollection of what the events of the ending were.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Evil Roy brought up something that now made me curious.

How many of you are enjoying Borderlands childish humor, but hated when Saints Row 3 when absurd?
I can't say I liked either a whole lot but pretty much all of the issues I had with Saints Row 3 compared to Saints Row 2 have to do with the gameplay and the world design, not with the writing. Yes, the writing in SR3 was a lot zanier and cartoonier than it was in SR2 but so was that of SR2 compared to that of SR1. SR3 could have had the tone it had and still been a great game and a worthwhile succesor to the series. But instead they had to phone in the actual game design and make a game with mostly unmemorable missions, set in a mostly unmemorable environment.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
ObsidianJones said:

How many of you are enjoying Borderlands childish humor, but hated when Saints Row 3 when absurd?
I'll likely never play Borderlands 3, but when it comes to BL2, there is no comparison. The humor in SR3 blows BL2 out of the water. Borderlands 2 can't even bring itself to say the word 'fuck', while Saints Row 3 allowed you to eqiup a giant, purple dildo bat. And yet they were both rated 'M' for mature, 17+.

Saints Row the Third knew what it was, and it was vulgar, absurd fun, while Borderlands 2 made attempts, which were entirely out of place in the game, by giving some guns questionable names and some weak lines of dialogue to an "innuendo bot". Oh and some passive lines from Moxxie as well.

I think most of what forms my opinion about the BL2 writing is that you play as a mostly silent protagonist, while in the Saints Row series your character is an active participant. Something else that bugs me is I'm not a fan of Anthony Burch's writing for Borderlands 2, and yet I adore HAWP, but that's probably because of Ashly Burch's on-screen persona, plus she probably contributed to those scripts.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
ObsidianJones said:

I'm pretty lukewarm on both versions - I get a few good laughs here and there out of both but its not like I'm in tears the whole time - but SR3 definitely fell into the same trap that BL2 did in terms of not being able to pick a damn tone. SR3 had a hacker guy that you tron to death, a muchalibre wrestler that you unmask, and then a monster truck driver turfwar gang leader played super straight, who's wife you orchestrate the death of and who takes your (least characterized) buddy for a scrape forcing a mercy kill. There's something wrong there right? BL2 did the same thing - lots of poo humour, crazy characters, general weirdness, so don't try for a heartwrenching "you killed my daughter" monolog right after I killed some weird critter while a mechano-englishman shouts in my ear about the joy of the hunt.

Something that I'm liking about BL3 as I get into it is that they haven't really tried pulling that shit yet. The world is dumb, everyone is crazy, the good guys and bad guys are both immoral and do some weird ass shit, and there is no 'one sane person'. They kinda had one moment where they established the stakes, but by and large we haven't been subjected to an extremely emotional/dramatic scene in the same game where I transferred a human brain to a bug monster and he's pretty cool with it. I can see signs of me eventually being disappointed on the horizon, wearing a hoodie, but for now I've done a good chunk of story missions without losing the irreverent tone and dedication to "crazy people in a crazy world" writing. I don't remember as much about SR4 as I do SR3 but I seem to remember a similar improvement in terms of just committing to the mrmikeywackyfuntime tone.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I see myself getting down the line but I don't know when. I keep thinking maybe on sell or maybe when the obvious GOTY edition is going to drop but I do see myself getting it eventually. Randy can go jump on a nail that is a given. Also sorry OP but I did enjoy the pre sequel and it laid some nice little foundations I hope they use to make BL3 better.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm enjoying it so far (in a turn off your brain and just shoot things sort of way.) But I do have one major warning.

Do what I did... AVOID BUYING THE SEASON PASS

It would have been worth it in the original, 1 ok big DLC, 2 good big DLC's, and one mostly worthless DLC. It was worth it in 2, 2 DLC characters and 2 good DLC's (even if the best DLC wasn't included in the season pass for whatever money grubbing reason.) The pre-sequel... not really. 1 so-so DLC and the 2 DLC characters. Right now, if bought with the game the DLC is $10 off the season pass by itself price. But Gearbox just announced there will be no DLC characters... and since 2 those have been about the only thing giving the season pass value. With 2 leaving Dragon Keep out of the season pass, and Pre-sequel drastically lowering the amount of DLC released... It is just looking like a season pass is just money wasted. No DLC characters and no promise that the pass will cover all the DLC's eventually released.

Also, a game content complaint. Certain builds break this game and make it too easy, even kind of boring. I took the Operative and went down the skill tree that gives him tons of passive defensive boosts, and made him a sniper. And so far, little can touch me. It's a little squishy and underpowered for boss fights... but this is Borderlands, where finding the exploit is the key to boss fights anyway. Can't wait until I start a second character, a glass cannon is a more fun build to play in Borderlands.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
I took the Operative and went down the skill tree that gives him tons of passive defensive boosts, and made him a sniper. And so far, little can touch me. It's a little squishy and underpowered for boss fights... but this is Borderlands, where finding the exploit is the key to boss fights anyway. Can't wait until I start a second character, a glass cannon is a more fun build to play in Borderlands.
Using the operative I produced a glass cannon pretty much by investing in every skill that does "something" with a grenade and then putting the clone on F and the drone on G. After enough points in those and the skill recharge rate improvements the field is basically an eternal hellfire of grenade detonations and splash. It got even better when I found a grenade mod that splits them into 3. My clone throws them, my drone throws them, my gun throws them - andvthey don't use an ammo counter, just a chance to activate and a cooldown. Its great. I kill myself a lot though.

If you're feeling bored I suggest a respec. I did it myself after realizing that being only a drone guy wasn't as fun as I had hoped. I dunno about other classes but if yours and my experiences are anything to go by it may just be that the operative isn't that suited to specializing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Uggh. I just found out the twin villains are YouTubers. Not like they're voiced by Youtubers, but in universe they have a space YouTube channel and ask people to like and subscribe and they're just try-hard memelords.

The writing of this one seems even worse than usual, and that's saying something

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Silentpony said:
Uggh. I just found out the twin villains are YouTubers. Not like they're voiced by Youtubers, but in universe they have a space YouTube channel and ask people to like and subscribe and they're just try-hard memelords.

The writing of this one seems even worse than usual, and that's saying something
To be fair I have finished the game and the villians end up being pretty well explained and justified by the end of it. I do feel like the Villian's are being poorly judged based on people's bias towards shitty Youtube/Twitch personalities, but frankly I thought they were fine and the writing does a good job of making you wanna kill the fuckers by the end of the game. So if the story's main mission is to make you want to defeat the bad guys, then this story does a good job of it.

The gameplay more than makes up for what the narative lacks as well imo. The guns are great here, and the action you want in a Borderlands game is here in spades. All with no microtransactions (as of now). So points for that. It's damn near my Game of the Year so far. However the Surge 2 is also pretty fucking great.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CritialGaming said:
Silentpony said:

To be fair I have finished the game and the villians end up being pretty well explained and justified by the end of it. I do feel like the Villian's are being poorly judged based on people's bias towards shitty Youtube/Twitch personalities, but frankly I thought they were fine and the writing does a good job of making you wanna kill the fuckers by the end of the game. So if the story's main mission is to make you want to defeat the bad guys, then this story does a good job of it.

The gameplay more than makes up for what the narative lacks as well imo. The guns are great here, and the action you want in a Borderlands game is here in spades. All with no microtransactions (as of now). So points for that. It's damn near my Game of the Year so far. However the Surge 2 is also pretty fucking great.
I'm not sure what to make of Surge 2. I saw Jim's video this morning praising it, but then I read the Escapist review trashing it. Basically they had completely opposite experiences. Jim thinks its a tightly-controlled, well balanced Dark Souls clone with great combat, but the Escapist says is a buggy mess with terrible controls, repetitive and easily broken combat and an undisciplined mess

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Silentpony said:
I'm not sure what to make of Surge 2. I saw Jim's video this morning praising it, but then I read the Escapist review trashing it. Basically they had completely opposite experiences. Jim thinks its a tightly-controlled, well balanced Dark Souls clone with great combat, but the Escapist says is a buggy mess with terrible controls, repetitive and easily broken combat and an undisciplined mess
It's buggy on console it seems. But on PC it is great, smooth, tight, no problems. So I guess platform is important this time around.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
CritialGaming said:
Silentpony said:

I also don't mind the villains, they do make me want to kill them, and that is kind of the point. And I agree about the microtransactions ESPECIALLY with the "as of now" caveat. I would not put that past TakeTwo once any review period is in the rear view.
EvilRoy said:
If you're feeling bored I suggest a respec. I did it myself after realizing that being only a drone guy wasn't as fun as I had hoped. I dunno about other classes but if yours and my experiences are anything to go by it may just be that the operative isn't that suited to specializing.
That will happen, Its the way I start out every character in Borderlands. Take only defensive, mainly passive, perks until I have enough points to get a good start on the build I want, then respec into that when I inevitably hit the "too much defense, not doing enough damage" wall. I like doing it that way because a: I don't like getting killed, and this minimizes the number of deaths (even though death is toothless in BL because all you lose is worthless money.) And b: it allows me to get a cache of weapons and ideas for builds around similar types of weapons. Problem with 3 so far, I haven't hit a wall. My all-defense continues to be able to dish out enough damage. Although to be fair my luck with getting orange guns seems to be carrying over so that may be to just having good gear as opposed to the game just being too easy. I actually wish I could give you the latest orange grenade mod I got (unless it IS the one you are talking about.)
EvilRoy said:
Using the operative I produced a glass cannon pretty much by investing in every skill that does "something" with a grenade and then putting the clone on F and the drone on G. After enough points in those and the skill recharge rate improvements the field is basically an eternal hellfire of grenade detonations and splash. It got even better when I found a grenade mod that splits them into 3. My clone throws them, my drone throws them, my gun throws them - and they don't use an ammo counter, just a chance to activate and a cooldown. Its great. I kill myself a lot though.
It is a MIRV like grenade, but it bounces around... and splits into 3 every time it bounces, I think 4-6 or so times. I've just been using it by throwing a couple in small enclosed areas and then using my shield skill to seal the entrance shut.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
I just got it and its solid. Just some general thoughts in no real order. The weirdest thing about this series is how it incrementally improves stuff while not trying to change the overall system.

I feel like people who say there was no graphical improvement haven't spent a lot of time with BL2. This game has way better lighting and the textures are higher res and more detailed. The animation has even improved somewhat. Characters still move like marionettes and their movements aren't properly synced to the dialogue all the time. Now they move like marionettes decently mimicking real people where as before they looked like animatronics.

The team that designed the guns needs to be given a raise. The gunplay in this feels so good compared to the other games. The sounds are great and apparently randomized based on gun components, which is cool. There is more feedback from the weapons and enemies react more convincingly to getting shot. The manufacturers are even more visually distinct than before, it looks like there aren't many shared parts between manufacturers anymore which is nice. Revolvers feel GOOD. I'm really happy with the weapons so far.

The skill trees are alright, I like how you can freely switch between action skills and modifiers now however I wish that they had given us three action skills instead. I would give up grenades if it meant getting more action skills(I know Zane can). It would really go a long way towards beefing up the rpg aspect of the game. I've been using Amara and I've been enjoying her so far.

My dream for this series is to one day drop the CoD style movement and adopt movement closer to arena shooters. High movement speed would let them get more creative with enemies/map design and keep gunfights from devolving into slow cover based shootouts. Maybe one day.

Driving still sucks, I don't really blame that so much on the controls but rather the environment. Vehicles feel like a formality still. They really need to design their maps better to accommodate driving, as there are way to many invisible walls and indestructible objects in the world map causing you to get snagged, ruining any enjoyment to be had.

Writing is bad so far but I was expecting worse tbh. Most of the ideas on their own are fine but characters go too far making the "comedy" feel forced. Vaughn is a cartoon character now instead of the person in Tales. For returning characters it feels like they are written to say their catchphrases and not really evolve as people, even though the game starts several years after BL2. I like the idea of the CoV, a bandit cult centered around mysterious siren twins but making the twins into basically twitch streamers feels like a desperate stab at relevance (ironically the whole streamer thing is going to date this game's story pretty hard). They shouldn't have felt the need to top Jack and played the twins straighter while leaving more wacky stuff to their bandit minions. It would have made the expanding scope of the game feel more serious instead of deflating the tension and making the world seem inconsequential as a result.

It's nothing amazing but if you like the franchise you will probably get some mileage from this one.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Kyrian007 said:
And that touches on one of my biggest complaints... what they did to make Maliwan weapons completely worthless. I used to really favor Maliwan submachine guns and sniper rifles. And now they are useless. In BL 3 Maliwan guns fire slow moving, easy to dodge, and hard to hit with bolts that seem to move slowly enough to outrun on foot. The only way to make them even halfway useful would be to use a character that had a skill that could increase bullet speed. And even then the increase would have to be substantial just to make them halfway decent. And there is a warm up period, meaning you pull the trigger and hold it down, and a second or 2 later you start shooting... and the damage seems to be about half of what other guns are doing. By the time you warm up, fire, and wait for the bullet to get to the target to see if you managed to hit it... I've already double tapped it with a Hyperion gun or taken its head off with a blast from a Jacobs, and moved on to take out another target as well. I haven't found a Volcano or Hellfire variant yet... but I'm guessing they will be pretty poor by comparison to their predecessors. BL 3 really devalued Maliwan and by extension elemental effects in general.
I'll update my complaint... because my complaints were addressed in an update. The results, a resounding meh. Maliwan bolts move faster now, still are slower than bullets and very easily dodged. "Warm up" times were decreased... but not eliminated, and some guns let you warm up by holding the trigger and firing on release. Yea... I guess, still pretty awkward to use. And now, elemental damage from Maliwan has been buffed to a ridiculous level. The message being, "get good with these shitty guns because elemental effects from other manufacturers will be pissweak comparatively."

Kyrian007 said:
In fact, the secondary fire functionality added to most guns in this game are pretty useless. The only really good one is the ability to switch from one type of elemental damage to another... making 1 good gun useful for 2 different elements... cool. But that is the secondary function they gave to Maliwan, who's guns are useless now so... not so cool. Dahl guns get the tracker then homing bullets from that gun in The Fifth Element... or you could just aim at something and shoot it? Tediore added a bunch of weird "throw the gun and X happens" things... that are all more situational and way harder to aim than the traditional "and it explodes" from BL 2. The best guns are Jacobs (the only ones that seem to do enough damage) that don't have a secondary fire function and Hyperion which adds a forward facing reflective shield that is on in ironsight and you wouldn't ever turn off anyway.
I found another useful one... and it seems to be mislabeled and a ***** to use. I think it is a Dahl machine gun secondary effect. It turns your assault rifle into a shotgun. The damage is listed as ridiculously high, but it doesn't seem to actually do the damage listed. Plus it constantly reverts back to normal fire when you reload, and seems to re-activate with a random number of shots until a reload and auto-reverting again. And it is unclear how much ammo it uses (it should really be listed.) That being said, it does decent damage (seemingly about as much as a Jacobs of a similar level.) So it is a pain in the ass, but not a bad idea if it worked well.

Drop rates will be nerfed soon I imagine. In a playthrough to the end of a normal mode with my first character I nabbed 18 orange drops. Admittedly I'm usually pretty lucky with drops, but that seems high even for me who averaged 7-10 in previous BL games.

Some missions go on and on and on, and they stretched the content they had by also decreasing enemy respawn time (areas don't stay cleared out very long at all.) I had complained about fighting the same 3 Maliwan troops for a couple of hours on end... but that in no way prepared my for how many hours I'd spend shooting the same 5 COV troops over and over. Borderlands has never had a wealth of enemy types... but it seems like they have made no improvement whatsoever and may be even worse this time around.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
I'll update my complaint... because my complaints were addressed in an update. The results, a resounding meh. Maliwan bolts move faster now, still are slower than bullets and very easily dodged. "Warm up" times were decreased... but not eliminated, and some guns let you warm up by holding the trigger and firing on release. Yea... I guess, still pretty awkward to use. And now, elemental damage from Maliwan has been buffed to a ridiculous level. The message being, "get good with these shitty guns because elemental effects from other manufacturers will be pissweak comparatively."

Drop rates will be nerfed soon I imagine. In a playthrough to the end of a normal mode with my first character I nabbed 18 orange drops. Admittedly I'm usually pretty lucky with drops, but that seems high even for me who averaged 7-10 in previous BL games.

Some missions go on and on and on, and they stretched the content they had by also decreasing enemy respawn time (areas don't stay cleared out very long at all.) I had complained about fighting the same 3 Maliwan troops for a couple of hours on end... but that in no way prepared my for how many hours I'd spend shooting the same 5 COV troops over and over. Borderlands has never had a wealth of enemy types... but it seems like they have made no improvement whatsoever and may be even worse this time around.
Thats interesting because I've found Maliwan guns to be pretty good, especially the shotguns. Maybe I started playing after they buffed them. You aren't supposed to use them like regular guns, the majority of their damage comes from their status effects so I found it more useful to hip fire Maliwan rather than go for crits and miss due to the charge up. The alt fire modes aren't bad but a lot aren't terribly useful either. The Vladof bipod attachment is pretty neat though, it makes their guns super accurate at the cost of some movement speed, although this does lead to their assault rifles dipping into Dahl's niche.

It wired that during the Maliwan section they hold back three enemy types and just spam troopers. They have two different drones, the null-hounds(robo dogs) and phlanexs(mechs) but I only saw them during the raid on Atlas HQ. Enemy variety is a bit weak, dunno if they show up latter but the rats are noticeably absent.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Dansen said:
Kyrian007 said:
snip (grumble grumble) Maliwan
Thats interesting because I've found Maliwan guns to be pretty good, especially the shotguns. Maybe I started playing after they buffed them. You aren't supposed to use them like regular guns, the majority of their damage comes from their status effects so I found it more useful to hip fire Maliwan rather than go for crits and miss due to the charge up.
Yeah, that could be playstyle. I prefer ironsights and crits rather than bullet spray. I'm also maximizing the operative's Playing Dirty skill, making a majority of my shots fire an unlisted extra bullet... i.e. free 2x damage multiplier, but only for the 5 bullets after a kill meaning less effective for automatics than single shots. That skill will probably be another nerf, as the extra shot seems to have no loss of accuracy and will always crit if shot would have critted. Until then I'm enjoying steamrolling everything with 1-shots from Jacobs weapons.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
Kyrian007 said:
And that touches on one of my biggest complaints... what they did to make Maliwan weapons completely worthless. I used to really favor Maliwan submachine guns and sniper rifles. And now they are useless. In BL 3 Maliwan guns fire slow moving, easy to dodge, and hard to hit with bolts that seem to move slowly enough to outrun on foot. The only way to make them even halfway useful would be to use a character that had a skill that could increase bullet speed. And even then the increase would have to be substantial just to make them halfway decent. And there is a warm up period, meaning you pull the trigger and hold it down, and a second or 2 later you start shooting... and the damage seems to be about half of what other guns are doing. By the time you warm up, fire, and wait for the bullet to get to the target to see if you managed to hit it... I've already double tapped it with a Hyperion gun or taken its head off with a blast from a Jacobs, and moved on to take out another target as well. I haven't found a Volcano or Hellfire variant yet... but I'm guessing they will be pretty poor by comparison to their predecessors. BL 3 really devalued Maliwan and by extension elemental effects in general.

Kyrian007 said:
In fact, the secondary fire functionality added to most guns in this game are pretty useless. The only really good one is the ability to switch from one type of elemental damage to another... making 1 good gun useful for 2 different elements... cool. But that is the secondary function they gave to Maliwan, who's guns are useless now so... not so cool. Dahl guns get the tracker then homing bullets from that gun in The Fifth Element... or you could just aim at something and shoot it? Tediore added a bunch of weird "throw the gun and X happens" things... that are all more situational and way harder to aim than the traditional "and it explodes" from BL 2. The best guns are Jacobs (the only ones that seem to do enough damage) that don't have a secondary fire function and Hyperion which adds a forward facing reflective shield that is on in ironsight and you wouldn't ever turn off anyway.
I found another useful one... and it seems to be mislabeled and a ***** to use. I think it is a Dahl machine gun secondary effect. It turns your assault rifle into a shotgun. The damage is listed as ridiculously high, but it doesn't seem to actually do the damage listed. Plus it constantly reverts back to normal fire when you reload, and seems to re-activate with a random number of shots until a reload and auto-reverting again. And it is unclear how much ammo it uses (it should really be listed.) That being said, it does decent damage (seemingly about as much as a Jacobs of a similar level.) So it is a pain in the ass, but not a bad idea if it worked well.

Have the balance/bug updates started to chill out? I actually set aside the game for a little while after the effectiveness of a loadout completely changed in the span of a day and I got a little annoyed when I thought about the purple items I had just snubbed which would now probably fix my loadout back to what I wanted.

I can appreciate them wanting a particular brand of gun having clear strengths and weaknesses, but personally I found Teidor weapons a barrel of fun right up until they weren't doing what they used to. Along the lines of what you mentioned on Maliwan guns - fun and games right up until I realized that I probably needed to keep a few in my backpack constantly to address elemental weakness/immunity even if I would rather stuff just explode.

I dunno about the whole drop rate thing myself. I agree that its higher than expected, but I think the actual 'thing' that is gold is still random, so if you're like me then you won a lot of lotteries only to get a gold Siren skin while playing Zane or a sniper rifle that doesn't work for face to face exploding playstyle. They might have pumped it up just to account for the fact that there's a decent chance you get something you just don't want.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
EvilRoy said:
Have the balance/bug updates started to chill out? I actually set aside the game for a little while after the effectiveness of a loadout completely changed in the span of a day and I got a little annoyed when I thought about the purple items I had just snubbed which would now probably fix my loadout back to what I wanted.

I can appreciate them wanting a particular brand of gun having clear strengths and weaknesses, but personally I found Teidor weapons a barrel of fun right up until they weren't doing what they used to. Along the lines of what you mentioned on Maliwan guns - fun and games right up until I realized that I probably needed to keep a few in my backpack constantly to address elemental weakness/immunity even if I would rather stuff just explode.

I dunno about the whole drop rate thing myself. I agree that its higher than expected, but I think the actual 'thing' that is gold is still random, so if you're like me then you won a lot of lotteries only to get a gold Siren skin while playing Zane or a sniper rifle that doesn't work for face to face exploding playstyle. They might have pumped it up just to account for the fact that there's a decent chance you get something you just don't want.
They're still making changes, I imagine it will be an ongoing process for quite some time. I really can't gauge much of what they are changing, because at this time I've really only played 2 Zane builds, my initial all defense build and when I switched I went for your suggested glass cannon random grenade spawner and in the process found my Playing Dirty exploit build along the way. Both of which are medium to long range Jacobs sniper and pistol and Torgue shotguns heavy. And those haven't been played with much balance wise. Now I've started again with Amara, and maybe here I'll see some more difference in balance. You caught me complaining about the big changes they made and have started to correct with Maliwan? while not using a build that really needed them. I was thinking how frustrating it would be for people trying for element heavy builds rather than any real frustration I was facing. Funny fact, on the same day that Dansen replied to me about liking Maliwan shotguns I actually found a really amazing corrosive Maliwan shotgun that really helped fill in some gaps in fighting heavily armored foes that are hard to critical. So I've been lucky, the balance changes really have only helped me so far, or haven't really hurt at any rate. So I'm not the best person to ask, I've been lucky so far.

And the drop rates... I hate to assume the worst of people, but I don't at all hate to assume the worst of game publishers. I'm seeing the drop rates more like... well drugs. The floodgates of legendaries are open right now to get us hooked. They will shut down to a trickle at some point to get us grinding for them. You're right though, of the 18 I found going through normal with Zane... I used 4 for more than just testing it out. I kept them all in the bank to twink to my other characters who might get use out of them. But just 1 AR, 1 pistol, 1 shield, and 1 grenade were actually useful. Even so, and even knowing that I'm usually pretty lucky with drops... 4 seems excessive for 1 play through normal mode without grinding for specific legendaries.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:

Is it more or less cringey than Torgue banging on about friendzoning and toxic masculinity?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

Is it more or less cringey than Torgue banging on about friendzoning and toxic masculinity?
Borderlands has never been well written. It comes off as something written by failed screen-writers in their 40s spending a coffee and tears filled week searching KnowYourMeme for what the kids are into.
Is it MOAR cringeworthy? Honestly I would say so, 'cause at least during BL2 toxic-masculinity and friendzone stuff, circa 2012, was both niche and like not a real thing, it was still just a 4chan joke.
Now adays, with most people forgetting was parody and irony are, yeah YouTuber villains asking to like and subscribe, knowing full well most people won't play it, they'll watch their favorite YouTuber to a Lets Play. Its a little...a lot, painful