Bosses/Enemies/Puzzles that Made You Want to Stab Your Screen

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
We've all encountered them. Those cheap ass motherfuckers who let you drain them down to something like 30 life and then pull some super move out of their ass that basically rapes your entire party. Or that one-key-two-doors puzzle that indie devs love to torture you with. Or maybe you ran into a fucking Tonberry in a Final Fantasy game that poked everyone to death when you summoned up the massive adamantium balls to actually fight the damn thing. Share with the forum those moments that led to supreme frustration.

And before everyone says Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts/2, don't. Just fucking don't. It's an established fact that he's hard in any game, but we have heard enough of it. Post OTHER things.

Personally, I ran into an instance when I played Final Fantasy VII where I ran into 6 frogs. 6 MOTHER-FUCKING FROGS! And it was an endless circlejerk of frog, not frog, frog, not frog, myturn dole out massive damage, get turned back into a MOTHER FUCKING FROG, AND REPEAT THE CYCLE FOR A FULL FUCKING HALF HOUR! I, in my infinite wisdom, didn't equip the necessary shit to avoid the status changes they induce. That was about the time I looked up how to escape fights. Oh wait a minute I WAS SURROUNDED. Needless to say, I blew off major steam after that fight.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
An older original XBOX game "Sudeki" had a giant robot-spider boss you fought in a lab, this robot-spider shot lasers, and there was only one place you can shoot that actually dealt damage, and it was the same robot-eye that shot the lasers, you can tell how well that works out.

Also any Demon in Demon's Souls, besides the ridiculously easy Phalanx Demon.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The Colossus from ME2.... That really annoyed me, because when you lose, you had to go through a lot of unskippable dialogue but only if you play as a Paragon. If you're a Renegade, you can skip it.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Wesker was annoying in Resi5, but not as bad as that FUCKING UROBOROS BOSS ON THE TANKER SHIP!

God fucking damm it that was an annoying boss!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Boost ball guardian in Metroid Prime 2.

There are some things that can make a boss really annoying. Like environmental hazards that you are constantly knocked into, respawning minions, a small amount of health pickups, or cheap attacks that are both difficult to avoid and inflict high damage. Well the boost ball guardian combines all of the above to become one of the most frustrating boss fights imaginable. The arena you fight it in is always bathed in hazardous air that drains your health. Only thing worse than an environmental hazard is an unavoidable one. His arena also has annoying little enemies constantly respawning to peck away at your health. He also has a really annoying attack that involves charging up for about 5 seconds (at which time he is invulnerable, meaning you can do nothing but take damage). Then he launches himself across the room at high speed and if he hits you (and he will, because his movements are difficult to predict), you take massive damage. And the only health pick ups are hard to notice.

And this guy is a sub-boss. He's harder than any other enemy I fought in the game. Only one I had to try more than once to beat. I didn't get to the final bosses, but considering how much extra ammo and health you have accumulated by that point in the game, they would have to work really hard to top the boost guardian in terms of frustration.

reg42 said:
The Colossus from ME2.... That really annoyed me, because when you lose, you had to go through a lot of unskippable dialogue but only if you play as a Paragon. If you're a Renegade, you can skip it.
Speaking of which, why the hell do you get renegade points for letting Reeger fight against the Colossus? He's a trained marine with a rocket launcher. I know the Quarian military is laughable in terms of strength, but I don't see what's wrong in letting him help. He is at least somewhat competent.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
The final boss in heavenly sword. The rest of the game was pretty easy, but that mothefuckers wings made it impossible to see what kind of move he was using, so I couldn't block. Maybe it's just my shit tv, but arrgh!!

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
That first part of wind waker where you have to sneak through the fortress. Trying to avoid those damn pigs while in a barrel is annoying enough, but try doing it when random rats are allowed to fling themselves straight in your direction and shatter your barrel at random moments. UUUUUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I found the entire latter half of Arkham Asylum maddening. An enemy is on your back! Crush the X button as fast as possible. A root has entangled your legs! Crush the X button as fast as possible. You've thrown a grappling hook at the Joker! Crush the X button as fast as possible.

Seriously, has gaming not evolved beyond mindlessly flailing at the control? The acclaim for that game confounds me.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
The minotaur boss, (god of war 1), on godmode
i have tried it around 50 times and i still haven't killed it!

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Blade II. The whole game isn't great, but a couple of things in particular.

Cheapo #1: The End of Section 1 Boss

You have to hit glowing things to stop a blood-purifying machine, or something. You can only do this with your gun (specifically your pistol). If you run out of ammo, it *may* respawn if you're lucky. Meanwhile, minions infinitely respawn around you, to the extent you will barely have enough time to get to shoot the glowing things because you're spending so much time fighting the generic enemies. If you do get a chance, there are six GTs to shoot, you'll probably get one or two at most. This is made harder by the fact the GTs are not automatically targeted.
Couple this with the fact that there is one health pack available for the whole fight (and that your health is not restored beforehand)...

Cheapo #2: The Sewer Level

One group of enemies explodes into a cloud of diffusing gas when you kill them. Thus you must shoot them from a distance. However, ammo is quite scarce. Meanwhile, you have a partner, who walks through any sort of danger armed with a shotgun he never hits with, who must not die, and who complains at you if he gets so much as scratched. And if you're unlucky, you attract the attentions of the Reapers, who cannot be killed by anything except one very specific weapon.
(still haven't beaten this)

If I ever see someone make it through the whole game without dying, I will be astonished.

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
Boolossus from Luigi's Mansion. It is a huge Boo that bounces around and tries to crush you, but actually he consists of 20-ish smaller Boos. The trick is to make him land on the horn of a frozen unicorn statue, which will make him explode and turn into the many smaller boos. You must then suck up an ice ghost with the Poltergeist 3000 (Luigi's ghost-catching vacuum cleaner), so it can emit cold, and use that emission function to freeze the little boos. You can then suck up the little boos. The problem is, the less boos remain the harder this gets. Eventually there'll be only one left that constantly flies all over the place. He can only chip away a few HP per attack, but it is very hard to evade those attacks, and if you don't manage to freeze him at one point or another, you won't make it through the fight.

You can't imagine my relief when I freaking finally managed to defeat that stupid Boolossus.

Lavalava Piranha from Paper Mario was another boss I couldn't defeat for a long time no matter how many times I tried, but that was more because I hadn't got enough items with me to restore my help, and didn't yet know how useful the water attacks from that fish companion are against him. Now he's an easy boss.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Every time I think of annoying puzzles, I keep going back to the symbol puzzles in Assassin's Creed II.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
After last night, Chaos in Final Fantasy: Dissidia. The fucker practically rapes me, and then when I do finally beat him I find I have to fight him again, right away with no restoration of health or anything. And to put a cherry on it, after I manage to get through those 2 battles, I find I have fight him a third time (possibly more, 'cause it's at that point I gave up), again no restoration or anything. And the real kicker of all this is if I die I have restart this whole sequence of battles all over again. AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Ricotez said:
Boolossus from Luigi's Mansion. It is a huge Boo that bounces around and tries to crush you, but actually he consists of 20-ish smaller Boos. The trick is to make him land on the horn of a frozen unicorn statue, which will make him explode and turn into the many smaller boos. You must then suck up an ice ghost with the Poltergeist 3000 (Luigi's ghost-catching vacuum cleaner), so it can emit cold, and use that emission function to freeze the little boos. You can then suck up the little boos. The problem is, the less boos remain the harder this gets. Eventually there'll be only one left that constantly flies all over the place. He can only chip away a few HP per attack, but it is very hard to evade those attacks, and if you don't manage to freeze him at one point or another, you won't make it through the fight.
Oh I hated that boss. It seems that whenever a boss consists of many smaller enemies formed together, the last one will always be a ***** to catch and will kill you right before you do.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
That two headed dragon in Phantom hourglass... took me three tries before I figured out wtf to do.

Most annoying puzzle ever would be the god damn music portions of Spirit Tracks. You can do it god damn perfectly and they just say "F*** you! You failed" It takes me a dozen tries on each one before I get it right. Biggest ruin of pacing since they made you find the triforce shards in Wind Waker.