Boy in Chile Kills Brother for Turning On PlayStation

toastmaster2k8

Jul 21, 2008
OK, why do people keep killing people over video games. There gonna get out lawed soon if it keeps up, and YES our government is stupid enough to pass it.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Why would he kill his own brother over a Ps3? Seriously? I'm only 14, but I would have NEVER done anything like that to my older brother.

NightmareTaco

Apr 8, 2010
FirstToStrike said:
Why would he kill his own brother over a Ps3? Seriously? I'm only 14, but I would have NEVER done anything like that to my older brother.
Well he wasn't listening to his rules!

By the way article-writer-man: *effect, not "affect." :) :) :)

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
It's been confirmed to be a PS2, not a PS3. And they where playing a Need For Speed game, possibly Underground. You can't blame the console or the game for influencing them, as the media love to do, it's just an unfortunate coincidence.

bolastristes

Apr 10, 2010
The chilean justice system is a joke, a few months ago a street punk (age 17) stabbed a guy in the head, IN THE HEAD!!! and he got nine months!!!, another asshole, a neo nazi street ¨punk¨ kid (If you can picture that) killed another guy (age 19) with a bat, and he is a free guy now, so I gotta tell you, something is really rotten in this god forsaken country, god I hate this pit ... well, at least we are the safest south american country and we got the most capable and non corrupted army and police force of the continent, now, the judges???, and politicians???, that´s another story!!!

bolastristes

Apr 10, 2010
oh, and blame the piece of black plastic!?, I don´t think so!!! they always use videogames, cinema, animation and heavy metal as scapegoats for their own stupidity, the problem ALWAYS comes from inside the family nucleus!

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
My younger brother came after me with a kitchen knife once. He has a bit of a temper.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Why does the media keep wanting to take down video games. This is about as credible for say a kid killing someone after watching CSI and blaming the show. Stop it media. You are not going to win. Then our generation will come in and take your jobs and this will not happen any more.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I know this is a gaming site, and this seems like one of those OMG Games made my child a monster stories, which is sad... but the real tragedy is this kid stabbed his brother to death. His fucking brother!

I get upset with my brother but i'd do everything in my power to protect my little brother. This kid has some serious issues, and unless he is a sociopath when he realizes the gravity of what he did he's going to be fucked up, forever.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
I think our hobby is a little bit too old to still be this defensive of it.

Nobody came out and _said_ games caused the violence, it just happened to be an argument about them. If a couple has a fight over what to watch on TV and it gets violent we don't come out and say "well, but the TV show didn't make them do that", because we're not insecure about TV watching as a hobby. We should try and reach that level of maturity with regard to gaming.

I understand there's been a lot of rhetoric that the article is attempting to head off, but it's getting kind of, I dunno, antiquated? These days I can say I like jazz music without adding "but I'm not violent and don't do drugs" as a footnote... and if I did do so preemptively, I'd sure get weird looks from people because it would sound awfully confused and insecure.

We really need to stop humoring rumors like that about playing games the same way nobody humors them about Jazz or computers or photographs stealing souls. The longer people keep acting like they even _need_ to defend the hobby, the longer it's going to sound like yes, maybe there's something wrong with it.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Read the book "Grand Theft Childhood", 'nuff said. Edit: I think the kid was already mentally unstable. And for anyone who thinks the console is to blame, I ask this: why not blame the knife? It seemed to have been a bigger factor in the actual act. Stories like this and the obligatory "controversy" that follow blaming the games are...just ugh.

Stitches242

Nov 16, 2009
8bitmaster said:
wow first a murder over hacking in counterstrike in china and now another murder over turning on a stinking console? What is with people on other continents getting violent over games? Was it our fault?
If Im thinking of the right instance your insinuating, he didnt die; the X-Rays did show however that the knife was all the way to the handle inside of the kids skull.

On Topic:

It's still a tragedy, but why blame the piece of black plastic in the living room?
Exactly! Yes, because the PS3 was the beginning of the argument-turned docu-drama/murder, does not mean it should be held accountable for the kid thinking "Well hey, dont got a madda, dont need a brudda"