Boy with autism gets tricked into fake ice bucket challenge. Gets bodily fluids dumped on him.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Apologies if this was posted already but:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/08/us/horrific-ice-bucket-challenge/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

In Bay Village, Ohio, a teenager with autism gets tricked by some other kids into performing an ice bucket challenge and gets urine, spit, and possibly feces dumped on him.

The police are currently searching for those responsible. In addition, certain celebrities are also offering to help. Drew Carey, Jenny McCarthy, and Donnie Wahlberg altogether offered $30,000 in reward money to whoever finds and catches the perpetrators.

Now, I'm not really sure about the whole reward money thing, but what those kids did was really cruel and I do hope they get caught and properly punished for their actions.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
That's awful.

I don't know what motivates people to do things like that, apart from adolescent cruelty but even then, I just don't get it.

The poor kid.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I will never understand what compels people to do this to others. I would say that it's awful, but I feel like that's an understatement. Things like this should never happen to anyone.

But wow, celebrities chiming in to offer rewards to whoever finds the perpetrators? That's so cool.

If I was a cynic, I would suspect that they're doing it for attention. But I'm not, so I don't. That's very sweet of them.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Wow, that's fucked up. I thought being the weird kid was bad, but this... Jesus. Wtf is wrong with kids these days?

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Wow, that is a really awful thing for someone to do. I really hope they catch whoever did this, this is disgusting behavior.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
I used to think there was a limit to how evil children could be.

They'd best hope they don't get caught because depending on how hard the DA wants to push things, they're looking at felony charges.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
So he took a Correctional Cocktail, huh?

Greg White said:
I used to think there was a limit to how evil children could be.
12 is pretty much the age at which children start to no longer be children as far as mental culpability goes. It's the age where premeditated murder and attempting to cover it up start to crop up.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
God, it's shit like this that make me hate people. I hope they find whoever's responsible and make them pay...

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
Children are a whole are some of the most savage and ruthless people out there. Anybody who thinks otherwise is probably deluding themselves. The good news is that some eventually grow out of that stage of human development. Others unfortunately don't.

Jack T. Pumpkin said:
Wow, that's fucked up. I thought being the weird kid was bad, but this... Jesus. Wtf is wrong with kids these days?
Me being cynical, but probably the general mindset of "You can't tell me how to raise my kids, nor question my decisions in raising them." - In short? The parents and society. (DISCLAIMER: In some cases, the parents might be pretty swell and its actually the kid. Cases vary from person to person.)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Axzarious said:
Me being cynical, but probably the general mindset of "You can't tell me how to raise my kids, nor question my decisions in raising them." - In short? The parents and society. (DISCLAIMER: In some cases, the parents might be pretty swell and its actually the kid. Cases vary from person to person.)
people tend to get very righteous about the raising of their kids....as though its a sacred thing that should never be questioned

on the other hand I think we are too quick to blame parents

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Yeah, I've heard about this. Drew Carey is offering 10 000$ to the police to catch these guys*.

Note: I'd have to check if it's the police or a charity for autism. The story I've read wasn't clear.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Vault101 said:
people tend to get very righteous about the raising of their kids....as though its a sacred thing that should never be questioned

on the other hand I think we are too quick to blame parents
I don't really keep up with the news, mostly because it's depressing, but I can't think of a single occasion when parents were blamed for their kids doing something incredibly stupid. Usually everyone blames TV or video games, or the internet.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I read about this earlier today. I would like some more details. I find it a bit hard to believe that some random people he didn't know would target him. Nor would I think he would allow people he didn't know to convince him to partake in the challenge. So, if he knew the people, it shouldn't be that hard to find them. Unless he's not cooperating for one reason or another.

Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they didn't know him or only knew him because he worked at some store and he didn't know their names.

All in all, a terrible thing done by terrible people. Hopefully they receive some punishment for the act.

Twintix said:
I will never understand what compels people to do this to others. I would say that it's awful, but I feel like that's an understatement. Things like this should never happen to anyone.

But wow, celebrities chiming in to offer rewards to whoever finds the perpetrators? That's so cool.

If I was a cynic, I would suspect that they're doing it for attention. But I'm not, so I don't. That's very sweet of them.
Drew Carrey was the first to offer an award. It happened in the Cleveland area, which is his hometown (not sure if he still lives in the area), hence why he would probably jump up to offer an award. What I know of Drew Carrey would lead me to believe that he is a generally nice guy.

Others probably added to the reward after they heard about it from Drew via tweet or talking to him.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
That is just goddamn horrible. I know kids can be monsters, but that is above and beyond the line of general dickish-ness.

Oct 20, 2010
Wow. My dad would have punched me in the face if he caught me being mean to anyone with a disability or developmental troubles. If I did THIS, he'd probably have taken HIS dad's belt to me, or just killed me out-right and started fresh with a new kid.

If i found out that MY kid did such a thing ( I have none, praise Jim!) I would tie him/her to a chair and pee on him.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Twintix said:
I will never understand what compels people to do this to others.
It makes powerless people feel powerful. They managed to hurt someone in defiance of what authority would want of them; it's thrilling and it not only asserts their dominance over someone but slips the dominance others have over them.

It's also fucking evil. I hope there are meaningful criminal penalties involved. Probably not--I doubt you could make a case for more than misdemeanor assault, maybe with hate crime special circumstances if someone can prove the attack was motivated by the victim's disorder--but I hope so.

CaptainCoxwaggle

Aug 24, 2014
Gee whiz, it's just a harmless prank.

I would have done the same to my own friends at that age. Actually this incident reminds me of a time when I found one of my friends passed out drunk, I knew he was a homophobe (a real one that is, one who is actually scared of homosexuals), so I microwaved some mayonnaise and flicked some on his face, then woke him up with my pants off.

He locked himself in the shower for three hours.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
CaptainCoxwaggle said:
Gee whiz, it's just a harmless prank.

I would have done the same to my own friends at that age. Actually this incident reminds me of a time when I found one of my friends passed out drunk, I knew he was a homophobe (a real one that is, one who is actually scared of homosexuals), so I microwaved some mayonnaise and flicked some on his face, then woke him up with my pants off.

He locked himself in the shower for three hours.
Imagine doing that prank but with your own shit, fresh from the oven.
Now see the kinda difference it makes.

I mean, if that was the case, you could make that point then, but fuck me, It was a cocktail of Piss, Shit and Spit! That could ACTUALLY cause serious medical issues, least compared to Mayonnaise