Boycott Scotland

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Something tells me that being in the same party in what is an effectivly 2-3 party system is a pretty flimsy argument
It's a pretty bloody good argument, since GB was in charge of the countries finances at the time any potential trade links with Libya would have had some sort of say through him. A lot of the shit that is currently engulfing this country is a direct result of Brown and Blairs boom and bust policies so to simply say Blair has gone ergo how can Brown have had anything to do with this, well it's pretty nieve.

Perhaps Labour will officially tell us exactly what deals it has brokered with Libya over the last 12 months, perhaps it will happily explain why three of it's ministers have made trips to the country in the last year in an official capacity. Or perhaps Labour will sit back and spin the situation as it always does until someone with a fraction of moral back bone actually tell us what the real story is.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
An amusing video from scotland by a guy called limmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uYmpnRtXGs

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Orlana said:
wilted_orchid said:
...Are we thinking of the same country? When I go to stay with my dad, just outside Glasgow we can't go up to the precinct after 4pm, just incase we get stabbed.
Funny, because my ex said the exact same thing about numerous parts of England. It's the same in any country.

Anyway, speaking as an American, I couldn't really care less than I do about his release. Our justice system will sentence life for evading taxes, but let a child molester go free on good behavior. We're ass backwards and any American who disagrees is nuts. Just like others have said, where's the boycott for China with all the mess they do?
The U.S. can't boycott China; they might call them out on the 3 trillion dollars they owe.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
hmmm...my scotish blood is offended,but my escapist blood doesn't give crap.

I'm gonna go with both

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
this is the new thing which has made my week heheheheehehe. And anywho the blaime will wind its way to Gorden Brown. That guy needs a holiday. Oh wait! He's already had one, gutted.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Skeleon said:
wilted_orchid said:
...Are we thinking of the same country? When I go to stay with my dad, just outside Glasgow we can't go up to the precinct after 4pm, just incase we get stabbed.
Well, I never lived there, but whenever I came to visit, I loved it.
However, it should be mentioned that I stayed mostly in the rural areas. I don't really know about the cities in Scotland. Except for Edinburgh.
I just came back from there.
It was lovely, nice peaceful countryside, friendly people. Then again, it was the Fringe festival.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
cobra_ky said:
i don't know a damn thing about this supposed boycott and i don't care. what i do know is that this guy was convicted of murdering 270 people. he served less than two weeks for each person he killed, and the families of the people who never got off that plane got to watch him land safely in Libya.

i'm not going to take part in a stupid, ineffectual boycott, but the fact that this man was released is shameful.
So the fact that the conviction was highly tenuous doesn't bother you?
Nor the fact that his lawyers claim that they have new evidence to exonerate him?
How about the fact that he's dying of prostate cancer, the appeal process will take many months, and that this is the only way he'll ever see his family again?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
StevieWonderMk2 said:
cobra_ky said:
i don't know a damn thing about this supposed boycott and i don't care. what i do know is that this guy was convicted of murdering 270 people. he served less than two weeks for each person he killed, and the families of the people who never got off that plane got to watch him land safely in Libya.

i'm not going to take part in a stupid, ineffectual boycott, but the fact that this man was released is shameful.
Nor the fact that his lawyers claim that they have new evidence to exonerate him?
How about the fact that he's dying of prostate cancer, the appeal process will take many months, and that this is the only way he'll ever see his family again?
the tenuous conviction doesn't bother me, because libya set stipulations for the trial and agreed to abide by the ruling when they handed the suspects over. that includes the appeals process.

if there's evidence that exonerates him, i'd love to know what it is.

as for his family? the people who died on that plane will NEVER see their families again. but if his family wanted to visit him in prison, i wouldn't have a problem with that.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
cobra_ky said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
cobra_ky said:

the tenuous conviction doesn't bother me, because libya set stipulations for the trial and agreed to abide by the ruling when they handed the suspects over. that includes the appeals process.

if there's evidence that exonerates him, i'd love to know what it is.

as for his family? the people who died on that plane will NEVER see their families again. but if his family wanted to visit him in prison, i wouldn't have a problem with that.
When the UN's observer calls the trial a "spectacular miscarriage of justice" and the Scottish Criminal Case Review Commission concur, the conviction is tosh, whether or not Libya agreed to anything. Wikipedia has a good summary of his second appeal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdelbaset_Ali_Mohmed_Al_Megrahi#Second_appeal

And don't give me that "but what of the people on the plane" crap. Yes, the bomber needs to be brought to justice and deserves everything he gets, but it seems pretty certain (to me at least, as well Hans Koch and the SCCRC) that Megrahi is not he. Ideally his guilt should be ascertained, and then he should be released/imprisoned as appropriate. It's obvious that this entire compassionate release is simply him finding whatever way he can to get back home.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Jirlond said:
I heard on the news today that americans are boycotting scottish products due to the release of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi. I want to hear your views and also keep these in mind.

Road Travel

The pneumatic tyre, tarmac and the two stroke engine are all Scottish inventions and as such should be avoided. Unfortunately it is best if you don't cycle either as that was also invented by a Scotsman. For the time being please walk instead.
Television

Set down the remote control, unhook the cable and turn off the television set as its inventor was born in Helensburgh. I know it might be difficult, but think about all the time you will have free to do other things, just make sure you walk to them.
Communication

I urge you to please get the word out about this site and the Boycott, but do not telephone your loved ones or write to them (best to avoid postcards, fax & radio as well).
Bridges

Please do not use any of America's suspension bridges as their construction is due to another Scottish invention.

If you do have a suspension bridge in your area please consider contacting your local government official and demand its removal.
Finger Printing

Any American citizen convicted using finger print evidence should be pardoned immediately.
Medical

Moms to be, cancel that ultrasound. Kid taken a tumble down the stairs? Am sure they'll be ok, just ensure they don't have an MRI.

All diabetes sufferers should immediately cease all use of Insulin (its ok, you wouldn't have been able to inject it anyway)

If you are currently taking any of the following (or any other beta blocker) dispose of them;

* acebutolol
* bisoprolol
* esmolol
* propranolol
* atenolol
* labetalol
* carvedilol
* metoprolol
* nebivolol

and you'll have to find an alternative treatment for that unfortunate bout of syphilis
Cold beer

Remove all beverages from the fridge, a cooler will have to do. Just remember that every warm beer is bringing us one step closer to Scotland relenting. A reduction in liquid consumption might be a good thing as every patriotic American should remove the flush toilet from their bathroom.
Sport

While enjoying your warm FREEDOM? beer please petition your local government official to begin disbanding the American PGA (remember not to use the telephone, post, radio, fax or a computer - perhaps their office is within walking distance?) also you should urge Lance Armstrong to be a true all American and give up cycling.

TL:DR many of the things you take for granted are scottish inventions. The next time the high and mighty americans want to look tough through boycotting, make sure you boycott all our inventions and national products.

EDIT: I take the news with a pinch of salt - many americans I have know or met seemed reasonable!
America doesn't boycott anything as a whole. There are small groups within America which engage in this nonsense. When America places an embargo on Scottish products, you are free to call its people whatever you want, but calling an entire group high and mighty because of a tiny subgroup of stupid jackasses makes you appear to be calling the kettle black.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Please don't boycott us :(
In the rare occasion we get american products they're usually pretty tasty :)

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Jirlond said:
TL:DR many of the things you take for granted are Scottish inventions. The next time the high and mighty Americans want to look tough through boycotting, make sure you boycott all our inventions and national products.

EDIT: I take the news with a pinch of salt - many Americans I have know or met seemed reasonable!
That's not how a boycott works. The idea behind a boycott is retaliation for a specific grievance through economic pressure, not permanent dissociation from an entire culture. It won't affect Scotland's economy one way or another whether I choose to play golf or basketball this afternoon, and it certainly wouldn't put any pressure on the official who released the Lockerbie bomber, which is the actual reason people here (and I'm sure in the UK as will) are pissed. Along that line, I'm sick of hearing this shit about America being pompous and on a high horse every time some of us take issue with something a foreign government does. This is just a shitstorm, and like all shitstorms will subside, expanding it into some kind of culture war just feeds into the tit for tat by roping in more participants.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Don't cycle, wtf? Yes, our evil bicycles are plotting to free all your terrorists.

I'm Scottish so I am obviously biased, but come on. You don't need to be biased to see that this is insane.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Jirlond said:
I heard on the news today that americans are boycotting scottish products due to the release of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi. I want to hear your views and also keep these in mind.

TL:DR many of the things you take for granted are scottish inventions. The next time the high and mighty americans want to look tough through boycotting, make sure you boycott all our inventions and national products.

EDIT: I take the news with a pinch of salt - many americans I have know or met seemed reasonable!
Don't be stupid, that's not how it works at all. They're just calling for a ban on exports. Ugh. Seriously, this is just so wrong I can't even explain how wrong it is. You don't embargo common knowledge. You going to ban cigars in America just because Cuba's blocked? No! Don't be stupid! We can make them too!

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Jirlond said:
TL:DR many of the things you take for granted are Scottish inventions. The next time the high and mighty Americans want to look tough through boycotting, make sure you boycott all our inventions and national products.

EDIT: I take the news with a pinch of salt - many Americans I have know or met seemed reasonable!
That's not how a boycott works. The idea behind a boycott is retaliation for a specific grievance through economic pressure, not permanent dissociation from an entire culture. It won't affect Scotland's economy one way or another whether I choose to play golf or basketball this afternoon, and it certainly wouldn't put any pressure on the official who released the Lockerbie bomber, which is the actual reason people here (and I'm sure in the UK as will) are pissed. Along that line, I'm sick of hearing this shit about America being pompous and on a high horse every time some of us take issue with something a foreign government does. This is just a shitstorm, and like all shitstorms will subside, expanding it into some kind of culture war just feeds into the tit for tat by roping in more participants.
The last line in my OP was about how I like most americans - I was simply pointing out that loud idiot americans are trying to badmouth scotland - I was simply mentioning what we delivered to the world - the website and video were for humour.

It would affect our economy if americans stopped buying scotch whisky - it's a large market. It wouldnt cripple us but if would eat into our exports