Breast Sizes and Complaints

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Don Incognito said:
Previous misadventures on certain internet websites suggest that some people are into that sort of thing.
Misadventures? Are you sure they were misadventures?
Oh, very yes. I suppose one could consider them learning experiences. I learned how to sharpen my search terms, for instance.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Lilani said:
Too often in my life, things like "you look nice today" are used as code for "nice tits/ass," or are at least used as a lead-in to get to such comments. It's a question asked to test the waters to see if I'm open to more "intimate" compliments, and possibly a proposition of some sort (giving him my number, going out with him, etc). None of this is stuff I want to deal with when all I've done is exist in public, and it really grates on me that too often the guy knows nothing about me beyond the fact that he likes the way I look.
The underlined bit is nothing the women I've spoken to have said to me (I offer no opinion on whether that is because they do not feel that way or because they do not choose to disclose that shame to me), but the last line in particular is a sentiment I've heard expressed quite often. What's intended as a compliment is a form of judgment of a woman's appearance; getting a blue ribbon in a swimsuit competition doesn't change that she's in a swimsuit competition she didn't sign up to compete in but has been compulsorily drafted into. I can only imagine it gets tiresome.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Dizchu said:
I'm not sure what you're objecting to here.
Sorry, Lilani said half of what I would have said to you, so in responding to her I forgot to tackle the other half. My bad.

I am saying that I perceive hypocrisy in ParagonFury's argument. He seems to want respect for his personal sexual tastes and how he choose to express them, which respect he seems to want to take the form of anyone who does not share those tastes or appreciate those expressions shutting up; in short, he wants more respect for himself than he wants to give to others. I used the word "you" in my post in the general sense because while ParagonFury's complaint is a specific example of this, I think his sentiment is so extremely common that it's fine to talk about in the general sense.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Lilani said:
Unless you've established some common ground on conversation or interests that don't have to do with physical appearance, such comments are usually unwanted and also considered creepy. Your intentions and your presentation may not be along those lines, but to women it is an all too common strategy for getting in our pants.
Well yeah I already mentioned that the compliment would have to be made in a non-intrusive manner (so for example, from an acquaintance or friend rather than a stranger). I just got the impression from JimB that somehow complimentary small-talk could be inherently demeaning.

JimB said:
I am saying that I perceive hypocrisy in ParagonFury's argument. He seems to want respect for his personal sexual tastes and how he choose to express them, which respect he seems to want to take the form of anyone who does not share those tastes or appreciate those expressions shutting up; in short, he wants more respect for himself than he wants to give to others. I used the word "you" in my post in the general sense because while ParagonFury's complaint is a specific example of this, I think his sentiment is so extremely common that it's fine to talk about in the general sense.
If that is the case then we are in agreement. I've done nothing but criticise his conduct in this thread.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
JimB said:
Lilani said:
Too often in my life, things like "you look nice today" are used as code for "nice tits/ass," or are at least used as a lead-in to get to such comments. It's a question asked to test the waters to see if I'm open to more "intimate" compliments, and possibly a proposition of some sort (giving him my number, going out with him, etc). None of this is stuff I want to deal with when all I've done is exist in public, and it really grates on me that too often the guy knows nothing about me beyond the fact that he likes the way I look.
The underlined bit is nothing the women I've spoken to have said to me (I offer no opinion on whether that is because they do not feel that way or because they do not choose to disclose that shame to me), but the last line in particular is a sentiment I've heard expressed quite often. What's intended as a compliment is a form of judgment of a woman's appearance; getting a blue ribbon in a swimsuit competition doesn't change that she's in a swimsuit competition she didn't sign up to compete in but has been compulsorily drafted into. I can only imagine it gets tiresome.
The underlined bit is some speculation on my part I suppose, but more than once a phrase like "You look very nice" has been followed up with more questions and requests which are clearly geared toward getting some information or reciprocal response from me ("Where are you headed to?" "Where are you from/what dorm do you live in?" "Are you in a sorority?"). I don't get it as often now that I'm not in college and don't use as much public transportation, but the most recent incident I can think of was just before Christmas as I was leaving WalMart. I was wearing my fat jeans and hoodie and no makeup, but this boy who I knew was in high school (he was there doing a fundraiser for his sports team) said I looked beautiful today. I smiled and said thank you, and then he immediately asked if I had a boyfriend. I said I do, I'm sorry, good luck, and I left. I didn't feel particularly threatened by him since it was in public in broad daylight and I knew he was like 6 years younger than me, but it was still awkward and had brought some weird looks from the other people who were around.

I suppose a part of me is flattered he would say such a thing when I was literally wearing the bear minimum to be presentable at WalMart, but I still could have done without the experience, and it makes me sigh to see a stereotype affirmed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
There's no need for you to do that. I will do that MYSELF.
As long as you remove the context of addressing me, and then add context pretending this had anything to do with developers when neither of us had mentioned that....

The only person actually addressed in that comment was me, and you specifically claimed I "liked the new Lara," when we had been talking about character just a second ago. Nothing about that indicates your newest retcon, that you're talking about developers, is true. Bringing up this post at the very least undermines your developer claim. And that's ignoring the part where I'm expected to believe every other part was relevant to my response, but that bit where you try and make a double standard out of blank slates is somehow just random and incidental.

Thanks for proving my point, I guess.

Don Incognito said:
Oh, very yes. I suppose one could consider them learning experiences. I learned how to sharpen my search terms, for instance.
Been there. To think of the things I saw trying to get a MLP plush for my SO.

...I think I'm scarred for life.

JimB said:
I used the word "you" in my post in the general sense because while ParagonFury's complaint is a specific example of this, I think his sentiment is so extremely common that it's fine to talk about in the general sense.
It's common enough that men often act with hostility if a woman tries to say something as mild as "not cool." My favourite is actually when a guy gets angry and aggressive because a woman makes note of feeling uncomfortable. Well, glad you proved her concerns to be unfounded by shouting at her or berating her.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Paragon Fury said:
I know people are gonna mock me for this; but to me, these are still completely averaged sized breasts.
Well showing video game boons is hardly going to be convincing to anyone who doesn't already agree.

People scream on and on about how breasts in anime and video games are "huge" and "unrealistic".
Yes, yes, you want to scream about how other people supposedly scream. And they *are* unrealistic when it comes to those kinds of shifty games. Ignoring size, the boon physics crap is utterly unrealistic.

But when I was growing up and basically until I got to college; breasts this size were (and to my brain, still are) perfectly average and normal sized.
Okay and unsurprisingly your view can be utterly skewed. When your general examples of boobs tend to not be real ones then it starts to become not only unsurprising but expected.

I get that the women are a little on the thin side for the proportions, but I've always understood it as a stylistic choice or that they simply have the kind of thing bodies athletes and fighters would have instead of the body of your average non-professional athlete woman (though the women in fighters tend to have swimmer's bodies instead of fighters/strength training bodies).
That's an awful excuse. That's like justifying the size of an out of proportion head as not being unrealistic because 'stylization'. If your excuse is 'stylistic choice' then it isn't realistic. Stylistic choice can justify the presence of something, but it doesn't make it realistic.

And if you're talking about a body an athlete or fighter would have then there's really no reason to have the boobs be bigger. They aren't somehow detached from the people they usually appear on, unchanging in size while the rest of the body remains the same.

If you have some fetish then at least admit it instead of making these nonsensical rationalizations about how the size isn't unrealistic.

Hell, basically every adult woman I knew until I went to college who wasn't an old lady had a breasts like;

Etc.
How many did you actually know?

Also do you not realize how it's somewhat damaging to your point when your examples of boob sizes you've seen include things that aren't real?

I'm not kidding either; gross as it is to have to consider, yes, my Mom and Aunts were hot (ugh, its weird and awkward to even have to type that). Even the couple of female teachers I had when I was a kid in public school would've been considered "hot". Then I left public school in 5th grade and went to private school where there were no girls and the only female teachers and staff were like 55+ years old.

And since I only really went to the game store and the comic book shop (since I wore a uniform at school and thus didn't really need any new clothes that I didn't get at Christmas) I didn't really see any other girls my age or women who were adults that weren't my family. So it was pretty easy to come to the conclusion that "Adult women have big breasts; women who don't either aren't fully grown, are old or are the rare exception". It wasn't until I got to college that I got exposed to women with a wide variety of body types (and even then, the college I went to had a male-female ratio of 7 ((almost 8)) to 1. That was...interesting).
Okay so you saw very few women, mostly related to one another. That just kind of shows that maybe your view is skewed.

But the comments on the Youtube video, and many discussions involving anime/comics/gaming in general devolve into "people that like big breasts/asses/hips/etc. have something wrong with them".
I highly doubt people say that. That sounds like it's your interpretation heavily skewed by being offended.

And seeing it again today made me ask..."Why?". I mean, I know a few people here are going to come in with their explanations of "fetishism" and "fanservice" but really, it seems to go beyond that. It seems that, especially lately, if you express any interest in women who couldn't be mistaken for a boy or have above a B-Cup, you're some kind of fetishistic monster (despite the fact that the average cup size in the US is a C).
It sounds like you're exaggerating because you feel attacked. The notion you put forward sounds preposterous.

Or like when you have a story like mine - I just grew up around pretty women and that is I consider "average" or normal "well that's wrong and you should change that".
Again, that doesn't sound like what anyone says. It again sounds like your interpretation skewed by your personal feelings

Would these same people get mad at someone who likes black women because that is who he grew up around? Or an Asian man who prefers Asian women because that is what he grew up around? Would they get so snippy with a woman who prefers men with super-athletic bodies because she grew up around professional athletes her whole life?
This helps to prove my point about the inaccuracy of your reporting. You jumped from your 'story' of considering certain sizes average to talk about attraction. As if you're trying to sanitize your side of it but slipped.

Also all those sound like silly excuses. And your question is useless anyways. People don't just go up and talk to you about views you personally hold without any sort of prompting. It ignores how you express your view and in reaction to what.

As I mentioned before, its getting a little weird too because so many of the characters people are saying are "unrealistic" fall right within that norm for real people; I mean hell, in the DoAX3 trailer maybe the only 3 who are "too big" are Honoka, Kasumi and Momiji, and they'd still fall within "normal human size".
Except you had to argue the caveat of the rest of their body being different because 'stylistic choice'. Makes as much sense as saying the size of the arms of someone who's 6'5 is the norm on the body of someone who is 4'10

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Dizchu said:
If that is the case then we are in agreement.
Yup.

Lilani said:
The underlined bit is some speculation on my part I suppose, but more than once a phrase like "You look very nice" has been followed up with more questions and requests which are clearly geared toward getting some information or reciprocal response from me ("Where are you headed to?" "Where are you from/what dorm do you live in?" "Are you in a sorority?").
Sure. I can one hundred percent believe that. I was just clarifying that what I am and am not testifying to; not that it usually saves me if someone decides I'm saying something I'm not, but hey.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
WinterWyvern said:
Something Amyss said:
WinterWyvern said:
There's no need for you to do that. I will do that MYSELF.
As long as you remove the context of addressing me, and then add context pretending this had anything to do with developers when neither of us had mentioned that....

The only person actually addressed in that comment was me, and you specifically claimed I "liked the new Lara," when we had been talking about character just a second ago. Nothing about that indicates your newest retcon, that you're talking about developers, is true. Bringing up this post at the very least undermines your developer claim. And that's ignoring the part where I'm expected to believe every other part was relevant to my response, but that bit where you try and make a double standard out of blank slates is somehow just random and incidental.

Thanks for proving my point, I guess.

Feel free to quote the part where you think I have attacked you.

Or, even better, you could just stop answering me and we could drop this discussion. I've told you I never wanted to offend you. YOU insulted me by calling me a liar. But unlike you, I don't care. I'll repeat it one LAST time: I am sorry, it was never my intention to offend you personally.
I'm betting the previous poster is probably going on about how women are perceived or some such rubbish

Just buy what you like, we buy games for our enjoyment, no reason to let that be dictated by someone elses first world problems.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Gengisgame said:
I'm betting the previous poster is probably going on about how women are perceived or some such rubbish.
Well, if we're gonna be talking about her like she ain't here, my guess is Something Amyss cares only peripherally if at all about WinterWyvern "being offensive" or whatever. My guess is she thinks WinterWyvern is trying to not be held accountable for things WinterWyvern has said by trying to retroactively redefine those statements in a way that only makes sense if one ignores the context of the conversation they occur within, and that she doesn't feel much like letting WinterWyvern (or anyone else) take the impression she'll fall for that kind of nonsense, any more than she'll fall for the continued insistence that Something Amyss is just mad and lashing out rather than having any kind of legitimate grievance with what is at the most charitable possible assumption and by WinterWyvern's own proclaimed admission a deeply flawed ability to communicate clearly.

But of course, I'm no more Something Amyss than you are, and neither of us has much right to pretend we know her motivations, so why don't we just let her speak for herself (or not, as she chooses) rather than taking passive-aggressive shots at her?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Also, as an aside; what the actual fuck are you guys arguing about? Like, I've read this whole thread and I actually can't find a source for this argument. At this point you're like a couple of drunk people who think they semi-heard something from the other guy and started a fight over it; now its dragged into the street and the vendors are all -

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Paragon Fury said:
What the actual fuck are you guys arguing about?
Many people are arguing about many things. You will have to be specific.

Paragon Fury said:
I've read this whole thread and I actually can't find a source for this argument. At this point you're like a couple of drunk people who think they semi-heard something from the other guy and started a fight over it.
You must forgive me if I suggest that this condemnation of what we seem like to you loses much of its sting since you admit you cannot comprehend what the argument is about.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Paragon Fury said:
Also, as an aside; what the actual fuck are you guys arguing about? Like, I've read this whole thread and I actually can't find a source for this argument. At this point you're like a couple of drunk people who think they semi-heard something from the other guy and started a fight over it;
You made highly dubious claims with only anecdotal evidence to back it up and everyone proceeded to pick those claims apart. They then commented on the nature of your previous threads which frequently revolve around anime boobs and wondered if you are really qualified to be talking about such a subject when it refers to the real world.

It's like someone claiming to have survival expertise from watching Lost.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dizchu said:
infohippie said:
It makes me despise, and scornful of, the people who WANT to shame anyone for liking the female body.

Boobs of all different kinds are great. I'm a big fan of them, from enormous to nearly flat. As someone above me said, it depends on the person (or game character) and what looks good on them specifically. I don't like games where all female characters are given huge tits just because, but if a character design works well with big boobs, or with tiny ones, I see nothing wrong in liking them for what they are.
The problem is when people treat the female body as if it's a sports car or something, and that's the uncomfortable feeling I get from threads like these.
Yeah, honestly, boobs aren't all that hot for all intents and purposes. They are sacks of fat that are sometimes arousing but 9/10 they contribute to having to buy overly expensive bras and culminate boob sweat that feels like your walking filth.
I honestly forget they exist half the time otherwise. Dudes treating tits like the entirety of our being is like women saying that the only real worth to a man is how cut his pecs are. And we all know how that would go down as vain and superfluous.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Dizchu said:
Paragon Fury said:
Also, as an aside; what the actual fuck are you guys arguing about? Like, I've read this whole thread and I actually can't find a source for this argument. At this point you're like a couple of drunk people who think they semi-heard something from the other guy and started a fight over it;
You made highly dubious claims with only anecdotal evidence to back it up and everyone proceeded to pick those claims apart. They then commented on the nature of your previous threads which frequently revolve around anime boobs and wondered if you are really qualified to be talking about such a subject when it refers to the real world.

It's like someone claiming to have survival expertise from watching Lost.
I was referring to the whole "You're sexist!" "No I'm not! You're sexist for suggesting that!" *Tomb Raider derailment comment* argument that took up the better part of two pages here.

But hey, you know.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
This thread has devolved into an argument about who is arguing about what and how and whether someone's anecdotal arguments are valid. That aside, it failed to adequately set up a thorough discussion topic. It is now locked.