Breastfeeding in Public

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Major_Tom said:
I don't understand why women can't feed their babies in public, but men can parade around shirtless, proudly displaying their useless nipples.
Women CAN feed their babies in public. Hell in Vancouver you can walk around topless if you want too, so says the law.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Colour Scientist said:
Does it make you feel uncomfortable when you see a woman breastfeeding her child in a public area? If so, does it always make you uncomfortable or is it okay provided that her breasts are completely covered?

Alternatively, do you just see it as something natural and non-sexual, something women should be free to do whenever and wherever they please?
I do find it uncomfortable, and it's not the fact that her breasts are out that does it. Rather it's the fact that I don't like children in general, and I don't think that you should be taking children to a public place if they're still young enough that you're breat-feeding them. Babies don't belong in restaurants, they don't belong in shopping centers, they don't belong in movie theaters. Stop bringing them there!

(...)
I don't think that women who do it are exhibitionists, I just think they don't give a fuck. And yes, I'd say that if your child is old enough to use a bottle then carry a damn bottle with you to feed your kid. If your kid isn't old enough to use a bottle it's not old enough to be out in public anyway.
i'll give you a point. even if it's natural, i wouldnt just take out my breast in public to breast feed my daugther. there's a marvelous thing that is called a breast-feeding apron, wich is a cloth that goes around your neck, and it's basically, just an apron that cover you and your baby. but that's my personal choice, and some woman dont like those things, and it's their choice too.

However, first a baby is breast feeded 6 to 12 months long. it's a god damn long time to be locked Inside. i carried my baby around since she's 2 weeks old. 2 weeks locked Inside was more than enough to show me that i would go insane if i dont go out.

second, breast milk and bottled milk are not the same. breast feeding a baby and giving a baby breast milk in a bottle is not the same either. And drinking in a bottle is a lot easier that drinking from a breasts. some baby get lazy when you give them bottle and refuse to the breast after getting use to a bottle. so it's not a good idea for every baby to give a bottle.

beside, here a lot of movie theatre offer baby viewing. once a week (here's it's every friday at 1 pm) they present a movie for parents and baby. the movie is not necessary a kid movie, but the sound is less loud, they put tables for diapers changing and they dont close the lights completly. believe me when i say that it saved my sanity to be able to go there...

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
As many people bring up during the breastfeeding argument, pissing is natural so why don't we do that in public. The reason why you cant pee in public is because men can pee. Only women can breast feed, which lets them fallaciously link it to women's rights/women's choice. If men produced milk and fed babies the same way women do, public breastfeeding could be labeled inappropriate and regulated to private places like bathrooms.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Hmm. The only time it'd be any issue for me is if it was a woman I was attracted to getting her breasts out and feeding her baby. But admittedly, that's my problem, not hers and that's on an immature sexual point, rather than a social one. So socially speaking, no, I see no problem with it whatsoever. It should be widely accepted, and I think a lot of people, myself among them, need a bit of growing up to do on the topic of not just breastfeeding, but nudity in general. Just bearing your flesh to the world should not be seen as sexual by itself, and most certainly not a stigma.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
Hm, that's a tricky one.

Breastfeeding a baby is one of the most natural things you can do.

So is also a lot of other things like urinating or having sex.

All of these have to do with bodily functions and they would all gross me out seeing others do in public.

It's not that it's wrong. If you have to go you have to go, if you are hungry you have to eat, if you are attracted to someone you will want to get intimate with them. It's just that in our society we are not used to seeing such acts in public, they feel private, too intimate. It just feels wrong seeing it. I have no better way of explaining why it's gross to me. EDIT: Also, there's all the bodily fluids.

I think mothers should be allowed to feed their babies in public (and women just being topless is not strange to me, it's not the nipple out in public factor) it just for some strange reason is gross to me and makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm being a prude. Or maybe it's that we humans want to see ourselves as more than primitive carnal creatures with animal needs?

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
I just wish so many women would stop being so hypocritical of breasts.

Either they're a sex characteristic and should be hidden except in private, or they're not and women should be allowed to expose them whether a baby is involved or not.

I'm just so tired of so many women getting upset when Janet Jackson exposes her breasts (and any other number of examples) yet so many of these same women are o.k. with a breast being exposed as long as there's a baby involved.

It's like they think there's a magic switch that makes one breast perverted and dangerous to look at and the moment a baby's face gets mashed up to one that switch is flipped and suddenly that breast is a natural and innocent thing.

Be consistent please.

If it's o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a baby in public then it should also be o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a guy (or gal). The breast itself has not changed so why should the "rules" change?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Mezahmay said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Breastfeeding? Who the heck has a problem with that? "How dare you display your evolutionary biology in front of me!"
The issue is not with "evolutionary biology". The issue some have is perceived public indecency based on one's individual beliefs and/or their society's view of breasts in general. For one to argue from a moral stance that a mother should not feed their newborn child is just flat out wrong. To argue they shouldn't breastfeed around other people since not everyone wants to see bare breast is another thing.
beside, except for the 3 seconds you uncover the breast, and put the baby on it, and the other 23 seconds where you remove the baby and cover the breast again, what exactly there is to see, there's a baby in front of the breast...

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
cathou said:
beside, except for the 3 seconds you uncover the breast, and put the baby on it, and the other 23 seconds where you remove the baby and cover the breast again, what exactly there is to see, there's a baby in front of the breast...
The phrasing of that post was generalized to respond to someone whose post did not reflect an opinion of public breastfeeding as something beyond a biological function. I was hoping to enlighten them that some people hold a sort of moral objection to it or at least an attitude towards mild nudity that their society has told them is unacceptable.

I realize that the entirety of the breast is not exposed, there are methods and products that are designed to assist privacy for public breast feeding, etc. I still find it uncomfortable and would prefer it not be around me because I'm a prude and I personally take privacy very seriously. I acknowledge these things and based on the rest of the posts here it would seem I'm in the overwhelming minority among the posters this evening.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
No problems with breastfeeding, general toplessness, whatever. I don't even really care that much about public nudity, though it's probably going a little too far. And then sitting on things would be icky. Anyways, people really get too hung up on some things.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kuala BangoDango said:
I'm just so tired of so many women getting upset when Janet Jackson exposes her breasts (and any other number of examples) yet so many of these same women are o.k. with a breast being exposed as long as there's a baby involved.
I don't remember the incident very well but if I recall it was considered tasteless...I don't know. maybe the same kind of WTF-ery that Miley pulled last MTV thing

[quote/]Be consistent please.[/quote]
I'll have to take that to the universal "wot women think" council

[quote/]If it's o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a baby in public then it should also be o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a guy (or gal). The breast itself has not changed so why should the "rules" change?[/quote]
the difference is one is sexual and the other is a practical and necessary thing

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Anyone who has a problem with a woman feeding her child is being an asshole. She's not masturbating or shitting on the floor, she's feeding a hungry baby. Get over your narrow-minded puritanism and look away if it bothers you that much.
Kuala BangoDango said:
If it's o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a baby in public then it should also be o.k. for a breast to be out and sucked on by a guy (or gal). The breast itself has not changed so why should the "rules" change?
Because babies suck on tits for sustenance, and grown adults suck on tits for sexual arousal. That's a pretty massive difference.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
If I can walk into a restaurant/diner/cafe and eat whenever and wherever I want, so can a baby.

If you have a problem with babies eating (oh, and gathering vitally important antibodies, nutrients and proteins via colostrum and thus a healthy and strong immune system to be around your disease covered self) then YOU can leave. YOU have the choice, and it's YOUR backward sensibilities being "offended" at another human being eating.

It's almost as if some people have a problem with the whole 'women exist' thing.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
cathou said:
beside, here a lot of movie theatre offer baby viewing. once a week (here's it's every friday at 1 pm) they present a movie for parents and baby. the movie is not necessary a kid movie, but the sound is less loud, they put tables for diapers changing and they dont close the lights completly. believe me when i say that it saved my sanity to be able to go there...
That's a cool service to provide!

This is a good question, and personally, I'm torn.

On the one hand, I don't have too big a problem with it. I can find it disconcerting, at times, but I do see it as an inescapable situation when raising a child. It's not like a woman has to parade her boobs and feeding baby in front of everyone to announcements and fanfare or anything- it's a subtle, quieting, functional activity that settles a baby in public. And the whole 'men can go shirtless' topic is moot to me, because that usually makes me slightly uncomfortable, too... except on beaches, where I expect it. So overall, I think I'm okay with it.

On the other hand, my SO doesn't like it, and the thought of it paralyzes her. We're expecting, and soon. And I will not make her do anything that she doesn't want to do, and as far as I reckon she doesn't have to do it. So that's where I'm at.

Not looking for flak or anything, just wanted to participate.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, it's uncomfortable for me, unless they're covered, then I have no problem. I would prefer it if they tried to make the effort to go somewhere else, but I can tolerate it. Bottle would be better.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
cathou said:
second, breast milk and bottled milk are not the same. breast feeding a baby and giving a baby breast milk in a bottle is not the same either. And drinking in a bottle is a lot easier that drinking from a breasts. some baby get lazy when you give them bottle and refuse to the breast after getting use to a bottle. so it's not a good idea for every baby to give a bottle.

1. That's a really cool service to offer and I wish more theaters did that. Seriously, when the Avengers came out some guy showed up to the midnight premier with his baby (not even a toddler, a straight up under 1 year old baby). The baby started crying before the movie even started and everyone in the theater told him to get the hell out and that he was a terrible parent for bringing the baby with him to a loud ass movie theater in the middle of the night, and his response was "shut up, I paid the the ticket so I have the right to be here." I can't stand parents like that.

2. You'd have to explain to me exactly why it's worse for a baby to drink from the bottle. You said that it's not the same as drinking from the breast, and I believe you, and you also said that babies can refuse to drink from the breast after using a bottle, and I believe that as well, but that's not an explanation of why it's bad.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
cthulhuspawn82 said:
As many people bring up during the breastfeeding argument, pissing is natural so why don't we do that in public. The reason why you cant pee in public is because men can pee. Only women can breast feed, which lets them fallaciously link it to women's rights/women's choice. If men produced milk and fed babies the same way women do, public breastfeeding could be labeled inappropriate and regulated to private places like bathrooms.
Yeah except here's the difference. A grown man can hold it in and settle the problem when it's more convenient. A year old baby can't feed himself.

Also as people love pointing out over and over and OVER again when it comes to talking about sexualization, breasts a secondary sexual characteristics. Penises are primary. Ergo, they're not the same and can't be properly compared when it comes to whipping them out it public.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
...okay, so I feel like this is one of those things where I feel extreme societal disconnect. How is that even an issue? Is that an issue in the US? Ye gods... While I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that the US is backwards, the idea that breastfeeding in public is somehow inappropriate just sounds more like something that would be at home in the middle east... I'm amazed and confused that the country that is supposedly the pinnacle of western culture is so backwards sometimes.

I suppose this is one of those things where I have to shake my head and admit that I don't get it.