Breastfeeding in Public

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Okay, so this seems like an odd one but I was listening to a discussion about breastfeeding in public on the radio and I was quite surprised by the attitudes of some people towards it.

By public, I mean in restaurants, in shopping centres and what have you.

A few questions to start discussion, inspired by some of the answers people gave on the radio regarding the topic:

Does it make you feel uncomfortable when you see a woman breastfeeding her child in a public area? If so, does it always make you uncomfortable or is it okay provided that her breasts are completely covered?

Alternatively, do you just see it as something natural and non-sexual, something women should be free to do whenever and wherever they please?

Do you think that instead of possibly making people uncomfortable, women should have to go into private areas, such as bathrooms, to breastfeed?

Do you think that women who do so are exhibitionists? Should they just always have bottles prepared to feed their child when out and about?

You don't have to stick to these questions, I'm just interested in people's opinions on the subject in general.

Dec 14, 2009
They're just boobs.

I see boobs, like, all the time. I love boobs.

Baby ain't gonna feed itself, I know I'd be doing it instead of paying out the arse for formula. As for whether women should do it in public? Why not?

If the worse part of your day is a woman whipping out her jigglypuffs, then I envy you, my friend.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Walk into the thread like what up I work in a restaurant inside a shopping centre and breastfeeding is perfectly fine.

It's completely legal, so if you go up to a lady and give her shit, she's not the one who's ass I'd remove.

Stuck-up people like to say that there is `a time and a place` to feed a baby, and the time is whenever the baby is hungry, and the place is where you are when that happens.

In my opinion, if a lady is breastfeeding and you can't stop looking and you're getting your panties in a twist about it, it's pretty clear who the problem is.

Boobs aren't THAT big of a deal.

Daystar Clarion said:
If the worse part of your day is a woman whipping out her jigglypuffs, then I envy you, my friend.

Dammit Daystar I was like halfway towards being mature, there!

Dec 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
Walk into the thread like what up I work in a restaurant inside a shopping centre and breastfeeding is perfectly fine.

It's completely legal, so if you go up to a lady and give her shit, she's not the one who's ass I'd remove.

Stuck-up people like to say that there is `a time and a place` to feed a baby, and the time is whenever the baby is hungry, and the place is where you are when that happens.

In my opinion, if a lady is breastfeeding and you can't stop looking and you're getting your panties in a twist about it, it's pretty clear who the problem is.

Boobs aren't THAT big of a deal.

Daystar Clarion said:

Dammit Daystar I was like halfway towards being mature, there!
Now you'll never be able to play Pokemon without thinking about boobs.

You're welcome.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I'm a prudish American so it makes me feel rather uncomfortable, but I also think this is a "me" problem and avert my gaze or go somewhere else. I'd prefer if the mother went somewhere else or had a bottle since it also seems like an intimate act to perform in a public setting to me and the function of feeding the child could probably be performed quicker with a bottle, but I'm pretty sure it isn't illegal and it's not like I have to watch.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Colour Scientist said:
Does it make you feel uncomfortable when you see a woman breastfeeding her child in a public area? If so, does it always make you uncomfortable or is it okay provided that her breasts are completely covered?

Alternatively, do you just see it as something natural and non-sexual, something women should be free to do whenever and wherever they please?
I do find it uncomfortable, and it's not the fact that her breasts are out that does it. Rather it's the fact that I don't like children in general, and I don't think that you should be taking children to a public place if they're still young enough that you're breat-feeding them. Babies don't belong in restaurants, they don't belong in shopping centers, they don't belong in movie theaters. Stop bringing them there!

And yes, breast feeding is natural and nonsexual. You know what else is natural and nonsexual (to me)? Urinating, but I don't want to see a woman squat down on a lawn and take a piss either.

Do you think that instead of possibly making people uncomfortable, women should have to go into private areas, such as bathrooms, to breastfeed?
I don't necessarily think that they should have to go into bathrooms to breastfeed a kid (that's probably unsanitary), but I would definitely encourage women to do somewhere a bit more private when they do it. Find a hallway where no one's walking around and do it there. If you're in a restaurant and you need to do it take a back corner table or booth.

Do you think that women who do so are exhibitionists? Should they just always have bottles prepared to feed their child when out and about?
I don't think that women who do it are exhibitionists, I just think they don't give a fuck. And yes, I'd say that if your child is old enough to use a bottle then carry a damn bottle with you to feed your kid. If your kid isn't old enough to use a bottle it's not old enough to be out in public anyway.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Nothing wrong with it in my eyes, it'd be nice if the UK could get a more continental attitude to breasts, and the US... let's not even get started on them. Of course, I'm biased since I wouldn't mind if all nudity taboos disappeared overnight but topless equality between men and women would be a good start. Breastfeeding is tame by comparison, you shouldn't even really be able to see anything unless you're looking too closely.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
And yes, breast feeding is natural and nonsexual. You know what else is natural and nonsexual (to me)? Urinating, but I don't want to see a woman squat down on a lawn and take a piss either.
This seems to be a relatively common comparison, I don't think taking a piss can be fairly equated with feeding a child.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
To me it seems a little rude to do it in restaurants and places like that, provided you're not being remotely subtle with it that is. Obviously shouldn't be illegal or anything, it's just common decency IMO.

Aside from that I don't really care.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Colour Scientist said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
This seems to be a relatively common comparison, I don't think taking a piss can be fairly equated with feeding a child.
I think it can if both make me equally uncomfortable.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
It would likely catch me off guard since I personally don't see it happening very often, but I don't have any real problem with it at all.

I'm not sure what else I would really say about it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I would much rather she feed the kid than it sit there and scream. Regardless of what it looks like.

Panda Pandemic

Aug 25, 2014
Hmm. Dislike the notion but think it should be allowed. The baby does have to eat and you can't expect them to stay home all day long all the time.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
How often do women do so without covering themselves? Maybe its just how people handle it where I live but in public I normally just see this.

But maybe ladies just whip in other cities? Either way it wouldn't bother me. A baby has to eat. Unless you are staring you won't see nipple, and the babies head covers a fair bit from a casual glance. I think some people are more comfortable with seeing a woman it a itty bitty bikini top than seeing her feed her child.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
I personally have never noticed it, ever, if I did I would be a little uncomfortable but that's my ish. However, my mom works in human resources at a major UC and she says she receives complain from staff about woman using pumps at there desk about 2-3 times a month. It's become such a contentious issue that they set up a nursing room just for that purpose, as babies are not allowed at the office it is solely for pump use. According to her this has not stemmed the tide of shared space pump use though.

If a woman uses a pump in a public space I do think it would be rude as the need to relieve oneself of milk would be comparable to the relief of other bodily fluids. I would not however confront the woman, much as I would not confront someone relieving themselves in other ways. The result of either would likely only provoke an angry confrontation that would make my day worse than had I simply been offended and lived that fact.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
Totally fine with it, oddly it does not even make me a little bit uncomfortable. I say "oddly" because usually just a woman with cleavage is enough to make me stumble on my words once or twice. With a woman breastfeeding on the other hand, it's like part of my brain goes "nothing popping out here is for me, carry on."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Rather it's the fact that I don't like children in general, and I don't think that you should be taking children to a public place if they're still young enough that you're breat-feeding them. Babies don't belong in restaurants, they don't belong in shopping centers, they don't belong in movie theaters. Stop bringing them there!
I've heard you say this sort of thing frequently. Every time the subject of small children comes up in fact.

Suffice to say, if you have that much of an aversion to kids then the problem isn't with the kids.

Given that parents are going to carry their infants about with them regardless of your views on the matter, surely you'd prefer said kids to be quietly sucking on a tit than crying loudly because they're hungry.

Kind of agreed on movie theatres though. Mostly because being in the dark with lots of flashing lights and sudden loud noises is probably going to stress out all but the most easygoing of babies, so by bringing them in there people are distressing both their kid and the moviegoing public.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
It does not make me uncomfortable at all, and I rarely see them doing it covered either.

I see it as completely natural and non-sexual. That is what breasts are really for...
They should be free to do it if not exactly whenever or wherever then as often as makes no difference.

They should not have to hide away nor be seen as exhibitionists.

I'll reiterate my main point. That is what breasts are really for...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Child's gotta eat, and errands still need to be run so parents out and about is going to be a thing. So I could give two shits if a parent sits down and does the responsible thing and feed's their child when it's hungry.