Breath of the Wild for the Wii U: Controls?

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Long story short, using other body parts to manipulate the controller is also not an option. If motion controls are a mandatory element at any point, a game is simply no-go for me, end of story, full stop.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
persephone said:
Long story short, using other body parts to manipulate the controller is also not an option. If motion controls are a mandatory element at any point, a game is simply no-go for me, end of story, full stop.
A real gamer would strap the Wiimote and nunchuck to their head, use their tongue and eyelids to push the facebuttons, move the analogue stick by wiggling their ears, gyroscope by tilting their head, AND beat the game with only three hearts!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yoshi178 said:
there are Gyro motion controls yes. they're only used for things like aiming your bow or when you zoom in the camera to look around.

and *sigh* no you don't HAVE to use them you can just use the right analog stick.

people who still complain about motion controls though may as well complain about 3D graphics. 3D games on the N64 were terrible so surely they must still be terrible in the future. motion controls couldn't possibly have advance the technology at all either since they were introduced a decade ago. /rant

What is the Gamepad? Is that another term for the big tablet controller?
i'm not even going to dignify this with an answer.
Ah yes, the quintessential Yoshi post, both not reading and making sure to defend Nintendo despite no one actually attacking them.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
MrBaskerville said:
Yoshi178 said:
there are Gyro motion controls yes. they're only used for things like aiming your bow or when you zoom in the camera to look around.

and *sigh* no you don't HAVE to use them you can just use the right analog stick.
That's not entirely accurate, i've encountered atleast one puzzle that requires you to use the gyroscope with no possibilty of using the analog stick. :) Dunno if that changes when you plug in a pro controller though.

Regarding vibration, i haven't noticed any, so either i turned it off somehow or else it's not used in the game. So there's nothing to worry about at that front, but the gyroscope might be a problem, though you can skip past the rare puzzles that uses it.
Is it like those retarded key puzzles in Skyward Sword? Could they use their feet to rotate the controller and solve the puzzle that way?
The puzzle is fine enough, it's a maze where you have to guide a ball from one point to another where the movement of the tablet equals the movement of the maze. If you turn the controller upsife down the maze is upside down, so it's like holding the maze in your hands.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
MrBaskerville said:
Drathnoxis said:
MrBaskerville said:
Yoshi178 said:

That's not entirely accurate, i've encountered atleast one puzzle that requires you to use the gyroscope with no possibilty of using the analog stick. :) Dunno if that changes when you plug in a pro controller though.

Regarding vibration, i haven't noticed any, so either i turned it off somehow or else it's not used in the game. So there's nothing to worry about at that front, but the gyroscope might be a problem, though you can skip past the rare puzzles that uses it.
Is it like those retarded key puzzles in Skyward Sword? Could they use their feet to rotate the controller and solve the puzzle that way?
The puzzle is fine enough, it's a maze where you have to guide a ball from one point to another where the movement of the tablet equals the movement of the maze. If you turn the controller upsife down the maze is upside down, so it's like holding the maze in your hands.
Oh, labyrinth. That was in Twilight Princess.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
MrBaskerville said:
Drathnoxis said:
MrBaskerville said:
Yoshi178 said:

just played through that shrine. some of these puzzles are pretty cool :)

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
persephone said:
Does anyone know if these puzzles can be solved without motion controls?
the puzzle that involved tilting the table with the ball on it didn't seem very doable without the use of the gyro.

maybe get a friend to do it for you?

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
If you can use a Pro Controller, then if that controller's hooked up, can you use the Pro Controller and don't have to use the gyro?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Weaver said:
Yoshi178 said:

people who still complain about motion controls though may as well complain about 3D graphics. 3D games on the N64 were terrible so surely they must still be terrible in the future. motion controls couldn't possibly have advance the technology at all either since they were introduced a decade ago. /rant

What is the Gamepad? Is that another term for the big tablet controller?
i'm not even going to dignify this with an answer.
Was this extreme amount of sass to make a disabled person feel bad for asking a question necessary?
how the hell was i supposed to know his hands were crippled? am i supposed to be a mind reader now?

if you read on i apologized as soon as he told me that his hands were crippled.
Did you read the OP? It was literally in the first paragraph. Hell it was the sole reason to Why they made this thread.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Given the puzzles can be skipped, I've gone ahead and bought the game. Thanks for all the info, guys! You were really helpful.

Also, Yoshi's already said they skim read the OP, missed a bit, and apologized. Twice. There's no need to gang up on them now. I'm very grateful to Yoshi for their help, they were the very first person to answer me.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
An update for anyone who may need info from this thread:

You cannot, in fact, use a Pro Controller for the shrine gyro puzzles. I plan to ask a friend to complete them for me, I've found two already. However, you don't need motion controls for anything else in the game so far, and I've played six or eight hours or so.