Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
RealRT said:
Do we need all four of them? Extreme Ghostbusters only had one of them as an oldie, the rest were gone until the reunion episode. Why not have, say, Dan Aykroyd as the only one still doing the Ghostbuster shit (he was the one most interested in ghosts in the old ones anyway)?
Egon would be the most sensible choice for the reasons that he ended up being the one "oldie" in Extreme.

Though it could work with any of them.

Even then, I'm not sure they should bother. It's not going to be like it was. Trying to tie it to the old movies seems like a waste. Why not just enjoy the first two as they are, and take a potential new movie on its own merits (or lack of therein)?

Reboots can be stupid. Rebooting something from 5 years ago? I get that. Constant origin stories? Also get it. A series that last saw a silver screen release in 1989? I think we can let it go at this point. Especially since it almost certainly won't be the same beast as before.
Perhaps I missed something, but what are the obvious reasons?[/quote]Well Egon is not with us anymore, isn't he? Of those that still grace our sinful Earth with their present, Venkman was the team skeptic and not the kind of guy who'd work on this for the idea and Zeddemore was essentially a hired gun. Stantz remains as the best choice.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
1337mokro said:
Saying that some men are has been comics or were never funny is like saying that a you can't say that goldfish are stupid because rocks can't think.
[PROCESSING ANALOGY]......[ERROR]....

[quote/]Because some men are horrible comedians doesn't mean all of them are.[/quote]
which is...not what I was saying...the existence of bad male comedians is not attributed to their gender

[quote/]The same way I am not saying women CAN'T be funny. I just have never met a woman that made me laugh when telling a joke of her own. Most of the time I'm waiting for them to finish the dozen tangents in their stories before they get to the punchline I guessed half way through the story about the woman she hates so much at the office.[/quote]
.......right..and was that before or after she bored you with a deconstruction of another womans outfit before labeling her a slut and suffering from a bout of hysteria in which she had to run off to the ladies room to realign her uterus?

[quote/]Orange is the New Black is retarded. Quite frankly if I wanted to watch stupid people be stupid I'd watch a Happy Madison productions movie. I dropped that show the second I realized that people were watching it for the soft core lesbian scenes and not for the quality.[/quote]
ok then

[quote/]Also OITNB doesn't count because there's literally TWO male leads, and several more of them playing the straight man/comedic foil. What do you think Adam Sandler lookalike Jason Biggs is doing in that show? He's a main character! When one of the men gets an intro credit it's no longer a supporting role, they are trying to sell the show to you with that character.[/quote]
really?....even if he gets an intro credit he's less notable than the side characters, he just plays the wet blanket love interest schtick...ask anyone who likes the show they probably dislike him (for both the right and wrong reasons) the focus is not on the male characters, its on the female characters,

[quote/]Also who is Rob Schider? You meant Schneider?[/quote]
that idiot who pops up in sandler movies to play ethnic stereotypes....

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SacremPyrobolum said:
People kept calling me a white knight for daring to believe that women don't always get a fair shake in the world. So I thought "Well who am I to prove them wrong.

Also. What's your point? If you want to insult me don't be so passive aggressive about it. Come out and say it.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
People kept calling me a white knight for daring to believe that women don't always get a fair shake in the world. So I thought "Well who am I to prove them wrong.

Also. What's your point? If you want to insult me don't be so passive aggressive about it. Come out and say it.
It's a fitting avatar is all. You made a good choice. I hope you have a good evening.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

It's a fitting avatar is all. You made a good choice. I hope you have a good evening.
Fitting? What is that supposed to mean? Forgive me if I seem defensive but I have come to associate being called a white knight with being insulted.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

Fitting? What is that supposed to mean? Forgive me if I seem defensive but I have come to associate being called a white knight with being insulted.
Life is no fun without a few unknowns.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

And I am left feeling complete and utterly confused and wondering what just happened.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
erttheking said:
And I am left feeling complete and utterly confused and wondering what just happened.
he called you a white knight then bailed

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

Should probably invest in thicker armor, white knight. What people say on the Internet can be annoying, but you shouldn't dwell on it too much. People on the Internet are below concern.

EDIT: To keep relevance

The confusion pit is just getting deeper and deeper.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
erttheking said:
he called you a white knight then bailed
Meh. Little too preoccupied in trying to figure out which runes to by in Suikoden V to really care anymore. Water under the bridge I guess. Ironic because I bought a lightning rune.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Vault101 said:
The fact is that I asked for a comedy where the comedy is provided by the four main leads who are all women.

OITNB doesn't count because it has several leads that are not women. In fact we often cut away from the women fucking each other, hey whadda ya know this series is popular on the internet!, to follow along with wet blanket Adam Sandler light Jason Biggs.

I never said he was funny, quite frankly I am disgusted that you would suggest I enjoy that waste of a broken condom. He can die in a deep ditch along with 99% of the female comedians and Daniel Tosh for all I care.

However the reality won't change that there are no female leads that could carry a comedy ghost movie like Ghostbusters. Heck I'm even willing to ignore the fact that I have NEVER in my life been entertained by a female comic. There still are no actors who could have done a similar job and without them doing a similar job the movie will suck because it will be a sloppy shitty reboot.

In fact to make this reboot a success you need four female leads who can out joke, out act and out wit Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. You need to surpass that and quite frankly not even those original four could surpass their work with Ghostbusters 2 which I rank below Ghostbusters.

So how would four female comics, even when I grant you that they will be funny, manage to avoid being "just" a boring old reboot? There's not really allot of things you can do with a reboot of Ghostbusters. That's why nobody bothered in 30 years!

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
You know, this pretty much exemplifies the problem with the effects of the whole modern "feminism"/"political correctness" movement.

Just look at it this way: People are clamoring for female protagonist. So what does Hollywood do? Instead of looking out for a good screenplay with a female protagonist they just take a franchise, gender-flip the characters, use it as an excuse for a reboot and then parade around saying "Look! We have not only one but FOUR female protagonists! We are so progressive!", which practically just means "We are pandering to your feminist sensibilities without putting in any effort! If you are part of the movement, give us all your money or you are a hypocrite!"

Seriously, this is exactly that I and others have been dreading this whole new "female representation" hubbub would lead to (though I was more worried about video games personally because of She Who Should Not Be Named, The Derailer of Thread and The Feeder of Trolls and her videos): Studios being bullied into inserting female characters into stories they originally had nothing to do with just so that they would fill an arbitrary "quota" to avoid being called sexist, or worse, producers/publishers forcing them to do the same so they could use the whole "progressive" idea as a marketing label to pander to this particular audience (which is pretty much in full effect here).

I am not going to judge the quality of the movie (yet), but I just feel that it is made for the wrong reasons, and that is a misstep right out of the starting gate that will be hard to overcome...

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Vault101 said:
1337mokro said:
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.
"
this myth really needs to fucking die
You know what needs to fucking die? All the stupid ass gimmick attempts at trying to make a sequel whose time has come and gone 30 years ago. There is no way the magic of the original will ever be recaptured and even the second film attempt was kind of weak. Every studio idea I hear is worse then the last and after all these years of the Ghostbusters sequel on and off again circle jerk I'm just beyond tried of hearing about it already. I also have probably genuinely laughed at a female comic maybe twice in many years of recent memory. Sorry but true.

If they do go ahead with this .sigh.. imo the best idea would be to mix the cast up, having them be from all different backgrounds, genders, and ages show how the business has grown into a nation wide franchise - and get the story to go larger in scope. Also having Murray, Ackroyd and Hudson reprise their roles and have them as mentors/ceos or whatever.

But Hollyweird will drop the ball on it and end up unnecessarily rebooting the whole thing while adding some new stupid twist and throwing in a little grit and toilet humor for good measure. They need to just let this go already.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
erttheking said:
Meh. Little too preoccupied in trying to figure out which runes to by in Suikoden V to really care anymore. Water under the bridge I guess. Ironic because I bought a lightning rune.
if I defended you int he matter would that make me a...white knight? or a white princess?

1337mokro said:
The fact is that I asked for a comedy where the comedy is provided by the four main leads who are all women.

OITNB doesn't count because it has several leads that are not women. In fact we often cut away from the women fucking each other, hey whadda ya know this series is popular on the internet!, to follow along with wet blanket Adam Sandler light Jason Biggs.
it DOES count because the comedy comes from women!

there is only ONE male character who could come close to being a "lead" and he's inconsequential, and OITNB has such a large cast of charachters that to call him a lead is really baffling regardless of how much screentime he gets or where his credit is....I'm sure he has more screentime that crazy eyes but ask anyone who watches the show they'll tell you who the more memorable and funny charachter is

as far as I'm concerned there's only one lead and thats Piper

[quote/]I never said he was funny, quite frankly I am disgusted that you would suggest I enjoy that waste of a broken condom. He can die in a deep ditch along with 99% of the female comedians and Daniel Tosh for all I care.[/quote]
...you know I dislike his character but....jesus...seriously....jesus christ

[quote/]However the reality won't change that there are no female leads that could carry a comedy ghost movie like Ghostbusters. Heck I'm even willing to ignore the fact that I have NEVER in my life been entertained by a female comic. There still are no actors who could have done a similar job and without them doing a similar job the movie will suck because it will be a sloppy shitty reboot.
[/quote]

weather or not the movie will be able to hold a candle to what the made the original work is an entirely different thing to weather or not women can make good comedians

I wouldn't have high hopes but a bunch of women doing ghost busters is something I'd see if it turned out half decent

Nowhere Man said:
You know what needs to fucking die? All the stupid ass gimmick attempts at trying to make a sequel whose time has come and gone 30 years ago.
see usually I would agree...but I have accepted the fact that Hollywood will dig up and reboot anything without regards to common sense or decency...they'd dig up your grandmas corpse and have it dance on puppet strings if they think they can make money out of it

so fuck it...if their gonna do it at least do something new

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Nowhere Man said:
I also have probably genuinely laughed at a female comic maybe twice in many years of recent memory. Sorry but true.
A simple question. Did their gender play any role in them not being funny? Or did they just happen to not be funny?

Just curious.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nowhere Man said:
I also have probably genuinely laughed at a female comic maybe twice in many years of recent memory. Sorry but true.
I don't think I've enjoyed a mainstream male driven comedy movie in quite a few years....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh...

So, they've distracted us from complaining about another inevitably shit reboot/remake/sequel of a believed franchise from decades ago, with arguments over whether it is possible for women to be funny, and if PC/feminism has gone mad!!!!1

Well played.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
erttheking said:
Nowhere Man said:
A simple question. Did their gender play any role in them not being funny? Or did they just happen to not be funny?

Just curious.
They just weren't funny. Just like Amy Schumer who's on my TV right now.. not funny. There was this one woman who was on that @Midnight show this week and I forgot to note her name, and she was killing it in hilarity (and killing the other contestants as a result) but the way I look at it, Even Bill Murray couldn't beat himself the second time through, if the studio went ahead with the risky idea of an all female cast for a Ghostbusters film, everyone had better bring their A+ game and have the best writers and even then that would be no guarantee of comedic success.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Vault101 said:
Nowhere Man said:
I don't think I've enjoyed a mainstream male driven comedy movie in quite a few years....
Granted there's been a lot of shitty male led comedies over the past few years as well.

And hey, "Let's be Cops" is only a couple weeks away. smh

wasabinewt

May 5, 2014
This has piqued my interest, it would be interesting to see how it is handled. It could be really good if the plot is decent and true to source material, the cast have good comedic chops (I personally love Caroline Rhea, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLed9MH7s1E) and the group dynamics work. It doesn't matter if they are female or male.

As for the discussion above about whether women can be funny. Let's think about it, comedy is subjective and what one person finds funny another won't.