Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
If it wasn't intended as a reboot I would totally be okay with this.

PS my Dream Cast would have to be

Alison Brie(Ray/The young second brain down the ladder from)

Olivia Munn(Egon/walking text book)

Jennifer Tilly(Winston/just in it for the paycheck new gal)

Aisha Tyler (Peter/AKA Ms. Sarcasm)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
At the minute there is a female spinoff for Expendables being talked about. Now im all for tough female characters in movies but in the battle for equality wouldnt it be better for a mixture of men and woman soldiers that are equal? A female only team is just as sexist as a male only team.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
At the minute there is a female spinoff for Expendables being talked about. Now im all for tough female characters in movies but in the battle for equality wouldnt it be better for a mixture of men and woman soldiers that are equal? A female only team is just as sexist as a male only team.
I'm going to quote Vault on this one:

"*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhh*"

It doesn't suddenly become sexist to have a one gender team just because that gender is female. They already made various all-male Expendable films, and a number of all male action films outside that series. It shouldn't be a big deal to have one all-female film. If you want to go half and half, fine. If you want a one gender team, it's not somehow sexist for that team to be female once. Or rather it is, but not the way you mean.

"Fortunately", Stallone is worried that having all-female actresses in a movie wouldn't work, so wants to keep it half and half.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sylvester-stallone-wants-sigourney-weaver-723193

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
All male / all female is not sexist.

It would be sexist if one movie pictured the other sex in a overly negative light, stereotypes or outcry insult the other gender based on their gender.

Not having a specific gender as a protagonist is not sexist.

Jesus christ.. next you gonna tell me NOT having a black main character in a game about the french revolution is racist... oh... one moment i think others made that point allready...

OT: My problem is that currently there arent enough actors currently that could get the chemistry of the original crew right in my eyes. The ghostbusters of old worked very very well together.

The originals worked just so perfectly with each other... i just dont see this happening again with the current lineup of actors... they are used to one man shows where you have the main character, a villain, and a cast of supporting characters.

Here thought we have a movie that worked because the four main actors had a certain chem going on... otherwise the movie would have fallen apart.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Karadalis said:
OT: My problem is that currently there arent enough actors currently that could get the chemistry of the original crew right in my eyes. The ghostbusters of old worked very very well together.

The originals worked just so perfectly with each other... i just dont see this happening again with the current lineup of actors... they are used to one man shows where you have the main character, a villain, and a cast of supporting characters.

Here thought we have a movie that worked because the four main actors had a certain chem going on... otherwise the movie would have fallen apart.
Well...I think it could work, in that you get lots of actors to stand together in groups of 4, find one group that works, make a franchise out of it, and throw the others away.

Just, it's not going to be a Ghostbusters movie, it'd be an original franchise, and that would make the audience head's expl- no, wait, you could get them all to do movies based on YA books. That's still allowed, I think.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I wonder which one will have more haters: Michael Bay's TMNT movie? Or the female-led Ghostbusters reboot?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
1337mokro said:
"Honey don't try to fix that on your own. You don't know how to do that."

"What are you calling me stupid? I don't know how to fix a light fixture? Oh I'm just a woman and I can't do" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! "OMG baby that hurt so bad! Why did it do that!?"

"Don't go asking me why you got electrocuted by a light fixture when you jam your fingers in there. I told you not to touch it because you aren't a fucking electrician. Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix"
Next scene: the couple is outside the house, watching the firemen struggling to keep the fire in the house at bay.

(sarcastic voice) "'Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix.' Well done, fucking electrician!"

"Shut up."

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Alek_the_Great said:
Fucking this. I don't think I can recall a single reboot of a decades old franchise that has ever been as good or better than the original and even if I could I'd probably end up counting them with a single hand. All a reboot does is attempt to resurrect a cash cow and take advantage of fans and their nostalgia while at the same time trying to "update" them and make them more "modern" to the point it loses the spirit of the original.
It's 80's franchises in particular, because the 80's were very uncompromising. Even when it came to kids films. You bring anything from the 80's to this time and it's going to be watered down by the gallons.

Can you imagine them remaking The Neverending Story for audiences today? *shudder*
It can't be much worse than the third one.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bonecrusher said:
Why we are such obsessed about getting "represented" in games and movies?

I always prefer a good story than being represented.
If they are represented and the story is good, then is a win-win situation. But how will we ever know if they don't try?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
RaikuFA said:
RJ Dalton said:
RaikuFA said:
AJ_Lethal said:
One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*
Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Ghosts can't just inhabit NYC
Or even just the Ghostbusters made their business into a chain that now has groups in other cities. The big problem was that, as hard as they tried to make the events in Ghostbusters 2 bigger, they made it something smaller. If they branched out into other cities, that would increase the scale of the threat ghosts are posing without needing to try and make a bigger enemy than Goser, because it would show things happening on a broader scale.
Thats what I meant by branching out. The story could be that theres too many ghosts popping up all across the USA, too many for the GB to be, so they teach a bunch of people from all over how to trap ghosts so they can focus on NYC. Like I said, the LA(or whatever big city) branch ends up being all female.

It can and will work. I know it.
Wasn't that the ending in the XBox 360 game?

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
That would be interesting but they better not make them wear catsuits or have loads of panty/bra shots. If they keep the male gaze out of it I'd be up for giving it a try I like the original.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
AgedGrunt said:
There aren't even male leads that could touch the Ghostbusters. Even the minor roles are timeless.
Bit late of a reply but just to say yar, that's pretty much what I was getting at.
A lot of people here who are debating over "can women be funny?" in my mind are completely missing the point.
Regardless of gender, the original team was perfect and it's gonna be a damn hard act to follow without further crippling yourself by limiting the pool of potential replacements to just female actresses. Kudos if they succeed though.