Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Alterego-X said:
tzimize said:
Queen Michael said:
Seems like a fun idea. The all-male team was enjoyable, why not give the women a shot at it?
Because women usually arent funny. I'm sorry but they are not.

Women comedians are usually fucking awful either talking about their vaginas all the time (and expecting shock factor to be the funny thing) or simply have more or less only self depreciating humor. Which really isnt either very funny nor very clever.
Then it's a good thing that Paul Feig is not a woman.

We aren't talking about female comedians here, but about fictional characters being famale. I mean, Buffy (the vampire slayer) was often quite funny. So were Tina from Bob's Burgers, Pennsatucky from Orange Is the New Black, Erin from Critical Miss, and Osaka from Azumanga Daioh.

If you literally can't laugh at gags because of the presence of a woman delivering them, then the problem is not with "women comedians".
Usually. Important word. And of course I can laugh at women (hehe), I'm just saying they're USUALLY not funny. Joss is a unique case, he is very smart and funny and a big fan of strong female characters.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I forsee this as a bad idea
reboots in general tend to be a bad idea but I do see why someone might want to try one

while it would be fine with me to reboot the franchise and make one or two of the team members a girl it seems like a dumb idea to make it an all girl team because

a. it alienates fans of the orgnal movies
b. it alienates young boys (who most of the old merch. and probly the new merch will be was aimed at)
c. an all girls team of anything other than sports comes off as unlikey

Dec 16, 2009
Ramis gone, I wasn't going to get the new Ghostbusters film I wanted. I'm ok with all female, although I cant think of anything by the director I like, and it doesn't have to be a reboot. as has been said, franchise.

if this turns out awful, I can still enjoy the originals like I do with Total Recall and Robocop. That reminds me; when's Disney releasing the theatrical version of Star Wars to Blu Ray?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
erttheking said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
People kept calling me a white knight for daring to believe that women don't always get a fair shake in the world.
Guess what.. males dont either! The world is unfair to those without money.. male, female.. doesnt matter... if you dont have money... chances are the world is pretty unfair towards you... or when was the last time you heard female/male millionaires being treated unfairly?

Anyways on topic:

Reboots... i dislike reboots... they allways smell of "We want to make lots of money... hey lets gut a Movie from the 80s, rip its soul out and make boatloads of cash by using big explosions and tons of CGI, and 3D! We totaly have to do it in 3D!"

They are cashgrabs and nothing else.. no one makes a reboot because he really believes in the movie. Milking a franchise till its completly dried up and even worse they completly dismiss the movies that came before them.. you know those original movies that everyone loved? Pshaw... dont count anymore.. we are "rebooting" the franchise now.

The all female cast seems to be a thing of the current bandwagon that everyones jumping onto of being ubber political correct then any honest attempt at being more equal to females.

I just dont believe hollywood when it attempts to be more diverse.. cause hollywood will allways follow the money and they will drop the diversity just as quickly as they picked it up in the first place if it doesnt work out for them.

Heck.. that they even have to advertise that its an all female cast in of itselfe is a sign that they only do it to create buzz.

D YellowMadness

Mar 9, 2010
As long as they don't try to make this be the new "real Ghostbusters" (like Marvel's doing with female Thor) & act like the old one's existence should be ignored, they don't do the "Look! They're girls! Girls! Look how girly they are! (or look how girly they're not!)" thing, & it's good I don't mind. I still need to start watching the Ghostbusters movies though. They keep coming on at inconvenient times.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Bonecrusher said:
Vault101 said:
because actually being represented is quite literally the worst thing ever...

...*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigghh*
Why we are such obsessed about getting "represented" in games and movies?

I always prefer a good story than being represented.
Exactly. I'm Latino and I don't give a shit if I'm represented in film/games or not. What stake do I have in it? Why should I give a fuck? JUST MAKE IT GOOD. You're not going to make anything good by forcing an all female cast because It comes off as an insincere and desperate attempt to patronize and politicize and like others have said to distract from the fact that it isn't the original cast. To some, it sounds like a good idea. To me it sounds like a disservice to everyone - women especially since they should be getting their own IP and not riding the coat tails of a film franchise that should of been put out to pasture decades ago.

I really really really loathe political correctness. To me, it's the scourge of modern day society and it divides everyone and chews up and spits out anything its cancerous hands touches. It's bullshit has only been snowballing past few years and people play into it like zombies. I consider myself and Equalist. Not a feminist (I hate that word and think it's loaded) Not MRA, not this that or another. I don't even consider myself Republican or Democrat (more divisive bullshit). I like REASON. What's reasonable - mixed cast, larger scoped franchised business story. What's even more reasonable - letting the whole thing die already and getting Tina Fey and some other really good writers to make a new summer film IP.

Frothy Gibblets

Dec 15, 2013
This kind of worries me. I don't want to be all Moviebob about franchises from my childhood getting torn apart, and I understand the logic "If you don't like it, don't watch the movie" (Haven't seen Robocop or Total Recall reboots for that reason). I get they should be judged as standalone films but to me they take away a little bit of the magic and nostalgia of watching those films when I was a kid. I wouldn't want to see a remake/reboot of Gremlins or Critters for example, and I'm rather worried about the supposed Jurassic Park IV, but this is all getting away from the issue...

All female leads? Sure, go for it. Take Sister Act, a female driven ensemble comedy can work and be funny. I do have reservations about the current crop of "comedy" actresses though, in that I don't personally find many of them funny. You can almost guarantee Melissa McCarthy or, heaven forbid, Rebel Wilson will be involved somewhere and their specific brand of comedy is...difficult to watch. I just about made it through Bridesmaids as I rarely turn off a film I start watching. In before anyone says it's because of their size I dislike them, Rosanne Barr, Kathy Bates, Caroline Quentin are all larger actresses that I find funny and/or can actually act.

Ultimately...if this is going to happen, it's going to happen, with any luck it will be good, or at least watchable.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
RaikuFA said:
AJ_Lethal said:
One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*
Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Ghosts can't just inhabit NYC
Or even just the Ghostbusters made their business into a chain that now has groups in other cities. The big problem was that, as hard as they tried to make the events in Ghostbusters 2 bigger, they made it something smaller. If they branched out into other cities, that would increase the scale of the threat ghosts are posing without needing to try and make a bigger enemy than Goser, because it would show things happening on a broader scale.
Thats what I meant by branching out. The story could be that theres too many ghosts popping up all across the USA, too many for the GB to be, so they teach a bunch of people from all over how to trap ghosts so they can focus on NYC. Like I said, the LA(or whatever big city) branch ends up being all female.

It can and will work. I know it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I can see no reason an all-female cast could possibly be a bad thing. You could say it would alienate young male fans, but I say the only people that can alienate those are people who think 'all female cast' means 'chick flick'. Written properly, female characters can replace male characters practically seamlessly. The genders aren't all that different.

Looking at this as a reboot, however - What can you say? It might not be bad. Dredd was vastly superior to the original Judge Dredd film, and it remained closer to the source material, so I've heard. My relationship with the franchise was limited to that one game where you could arrest people for not having goldfish licenses, so I'm really only going off other people's opinions on the reboot. They said he never takes his helmet off, and that is probably a good thing.

Does a reboot tarnish its source in any way? Of course it doesn't. Go see it. Is it bad? Don't go see it again. Nobody is digging up the original films and destroying all trace of them. You, as a filmgoer, do not have to acknowledge new additions to a franchise in your personal canon. Are you afraid that new viewers might not hold the original Ghostbusters on its pedestal because they were introduced to the series with this reboot? Let me help you out there.

They likely wouldn't have even heard of the original, if the reboot was their introduction to it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bonecrusher said:

why SHOULDN'T we be represented? its incredibly disheartening to a lot of media to relegate women (and minorties) into shitty roles and archtypes

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Vault101 said:
Bonecrusher said:

why SHOULDN'T we be represented? its incredibly disheartening to a lot of media to relegate women (and minorties) into shitty roles and archtypes
Hey look, more word twisting...I can do it too. Why are you so focused on representing one gender/minority/sexual orientation/age group over another? It's really disheartening to see alot of people that want to relegate historically foregrounders to the background, and backgrounders to the foreground instead of giving them equal screen-time and weight. See?

He said he didn't give a damn if the characters on-screen had dangly bits between their legs or what color their skin was, so long as they were good characters. If they really wanted to do an all-female main cast, then why are they rebooting it? It'll never be accepted as an actual reboot due to Ramis having no say in it as far as we know, Akroyd's been looking up his own ass for more of it for nearly 30 years, and Murray didn't want to do more than the first one because he knew how hard it would be to recapture what made it the classic it's considered today.

And honestly, I wouldn't like this if it was a reboot with an all-male cast, the fact that they'll likely use female comics,who are few and far between in terms of being able to actually be funny in stand-up, much less 4 of them together on-screen, makes this a project almost certainly doomed to fail, either with the critics, or the audience.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Redryhno said:
Hey look, more word twisting...I can do it too. Why are you so focused on representing one gender/minority/sexual orientation/age group over another? , and backgrounders to the foreground instead of giving them equal screen-time and weight. See?
wut? I didn't twist anyones words..I explained why (with a rhetorical question)

[quote/]It's really disheartening to see alot of people that want to relegate historically foregrounders to the background[/quote]
no ones saying that..whatever "that" is....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nowhere Man said:
if getting equally represented really is that terrible then I don't care

[quote/]I consider myself and Equalist[/quote]
the problem with that is its really just a nice term people can use to dismiss specific issues while still remaining "progressive"

I could as a white privaliged straight woman say "I don't need feminism! why do you have to be so mean to the boys?" because I haven't experienced sexism or the extra baggage that comes with being colord/poor/not straight

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Vault101 said:
Nowhere Man said:
if getting equally represented really is that terrible then I don't care

[quote/]I consider myself and Equalist
the problem with that is its really just a nice term people can use to dismiss specific issues while still remaining "progressive"

[/quote]

I disagree strongly with that inference and train of logic, but that's your opinion and that's cool. I won't fault you for it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Why do I have the feeling that if this does get made it will be a really bad rule 63 version of of the first movie.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I couldn't really care less if they want to try and do this, but to be honest, I thought "Bridesmaids" was one of the most overrated films of the last decade. People acted like it was this incredible piece of comic gold that was destined to join the ranks of "Ghostbusters", "Caddyshack", "Dumb and Dumber", and other famous comedies, but I only found bits and pieces of it to be funny.

I get that it was a 'big deal' to have a comedy movie starring almost entirely women as the leads, but that doesn't automatically make something good and funny. So to be blunt, I could really care less if they make a Ghostbusters reboot where all the characters are female, I'd just hate it if they make one that isn't funny.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I guess I'm confused as to whether I like this idea or not...

I don't really like reboots much. I'm sorry everyone, I got lost in the Hulk/Spiderman redos and have no idea what has been going on for the last, I dunno, five years, in those respective continuities? And then Avengers came out and no one cares anymore, and now there's that one with what looks like a tree and a racoon in space.

Jeez I sound old.

I mean, I have seen some funny stuff from some women acting today, and I would certainly be cool with introducing some women to a cast for Ghostbusters... but my real hang up is probably that none of the old guard is involved, at least at this point, that we are aware of. To me, they HAVE to be involved. At least some of them. To hell with the protagonist's sexes all being the same, I want Dan or Bill, or Ernie, or even Rick. Or Sigourney. Actually, Sigourney would be interesting... Dana Barrett was the thread between the last two movies after all... but there, you see? I'm thinking more of a sequel than a reboot, because I simply cannot acknowledge a "reboot" of something that was great, to me, already.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think this one will depend on how they do it. If they attempt to fully reboot from scratch the original movies than it would feel a little weird. But if instead they do it less as a reboot, and more as a spinoff or sequel heading in a different direction it could be great. Have a couple of down on their luck ladies from a small town comunity college department of "studies" who are getting their funding pulled and need to do something with their bullshit higher degrees and lack of any valid life abilities, when they see an add for Ghostbusters franchises. Set them in Detroit and have at it. It writes itself.