Britain Decriminalizes Video Game Piracy

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Good step, but... how will this actually work on an international level? A lot of content that's pirated in the UK is bound to be from other places like the USA, other parts of Europe, Japan...

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Skeleon said:
Good step, but... how will this actually work on an international level? A lot of content that's pirated in the UK is bound to be from other places like the USA, other parts of Europe, Japan...
That's the big ol' elephant in the room, if they don't hold the rights to UK distribution and no one holds the rights to UK distribution, then there would be financial loss from it? Theoretically... nope, but that won't stop IP holders from claiming losses and damages in regards to it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Very bad reporting on this topic, VCAP is no more then an option for your ISP to inform you when they have recorded piracy on your end. But this will only be done with ISPs who sign up and this does not change the actual laws at all, they can still do the exact same things as before (arrests, raids, ISP termination, lawsuits, extortion, extradition, jail time,... all that and more just waiting for you).

Almost got drawn in by how good this all sounded but this article is mere fiction. You need to double check before putting such things up.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
cde said:
NO THEY DID NOT

http://torrentfreak.com/the-uk-did-not-just-decriminalize-file-sharing-140723/

Please check facts before re-reporting other people's badly researched news.
Heh. That sounds more like it. Was too good to be true.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Great Britain, solving problems with polite yet strongly worded letters since 1707.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I share the reaction of Critical Miss. All this is, is a significant watering-down of unreasonable proposals; not any retraction of the status quo... but this is a rare (and pleasantly-surprising) example of restraint.

Hopefully, bad reporting doesn't result in them thinking they made a mistake.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ITS A TRAP ! Does not sound any diff from what they were talking about before. Just sounds......too good to be true and England is run by greedy assholes

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
cde said:
NO THEY DID NOT

We need some form of Escapist gold or something.

Thanks for the update.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
FFMaster said:
Stop getting your headlines from places that get their headlines from NeoGaf. Neogaf was wrong (as normal but god forbid you point that out on that site because there goes the account you waited a month for) and i think you are too, its not been decriminalized.
Never really saw the point in a forum as closed and restrictive as Neogaf nor have I ever seen anything come out of their little fiefdom that seemed particularly useful.

I also, back on topic, am increasingly convinced that a high percentage of piracy is a service issue and not a "I'm going to steal all of 'The Mans' music, movies and videogames and on one can stop me bwahahahaha" issue. See also: New Zealands 3rd largest ISP includes with its service, as best as I can figure, VPN functionality so that its customers aren't getting fucked by region locking of online content.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Never really saw the point in a forum as closed and restrictive as Neogaf nor have I ever seen anything come out of their little fiefdom that seemed particularly useful.
I can half see the point of the restrictions, limits trolls, but at the same time it causes an echo chamber as the only people that "survive" essentially parrot the company line, as arguing against it will risk a ban. They are quick to say there is no hive mind, but the very system on which the forum operates causes a hive mind like mentality to appear (clique groups kinda have this effect, research has been done on it before).

Which is why i guess they like to say there isn't one cause if you point this out, your going against the line and CHOP FOR YOU :p

Anyway back to topic, we gonna have a update on the story, maybe contact a UK lawyer to see if it really is decriminalized cause currently multiple people have pointed out in this thread that they are dubious?

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Starting in 2015 in Britain, persistent file-sharers will be sent four warning letters explaining their actions are illegal, but if the notes are ignored no further action will be taken.
... ... ... So the point of these notes is...?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
When I read the new I was like: "That can't be true..."
And:

cde said:
NO THEY DID NOT

Thanks, it is not true.
After all this would have meant that reason would have won over corporate interests and would put quite a few lawyers on the streets? so it?s impossible in a capitalistic democracy?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
And Europe has shown again that they have more sensible laws despite being some of the oldest continues states in the world.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
This is a decent idea, obviously piracy is an issue but the fines were insane, you could get less of a penality for driving recklessly than sharing some music, almost killing people with a vehicle is less dangerous than Beyonce apparently (though i beg to differ).

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This so horribly reported on I don't even know what the fuck anymore. Its like I'm watching the Escapist turn into the Fox News and CNN of video games right before my very eyes.

Offenders can still get dragged into court and sued to oblivion.