Britain is getting in on the Concentration Camp thing

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Just to point out the obvious but mostly we were just either dumping them back in France or holding them in the UK in various locations as it is.

The concern or whatever is them disappearing and you know not actually leaving but disappearing if it's found they aren't asylum seekers, they weren't oppressed by where they came from but were convicted criminals on the run from the law or just looking for a new patch to start up in again hoping to not get caught this time.......

I mean.

Nice fairly safe immigration centre with probably 3 meals a day and a nice bed.
Vs
Grubby self made camps in France where people steal to get by.

I know which I'd prefer lol.

As for the Island plan, well the UK could just set it up in the wilds of Scotland but that would be a cruel and unusual punishment

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Just to point out the obvious but mostly we were just either dumping them back in France or holding them in the UK in various locations as it is.

The concern or whatever is them disappearing and you know not actually leaving but disappearing if it's found they aren't asylum seekers, they weren't oppressed by where they came from but were convicted criminals on the run from the law or just looking for a new patch to start up in again hoping to not get caught this time.......

I mean.

Nice fairly safe immigration centre with probably 3 meals a day and a nice bed.
Vs
Grubby self made camps in France where people steal to get by.

I know which I'd prefer lol.

As for the Island plan, well the UK could just set it up in the wilds of Scotland but that would be a cruel and unusual punishment
Yes. YES! I knew someone would come through and defend the British getting back to their old habits!

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Bit of a disservice to throw China in there as though it were comparable.

The Britbong thing is shitty, yes, but it's not "imprisoning an entire minority group then harvesting their organs and hair" kind of shitty.

League of their own right there.
No, the British just made massive populations switch from growing food to cash crops, beat them (often to death) when they didn’t comply, got them hooked on opium (which they also forced them to grow) for fucking tea, setup ethnic hierarchies that sowed the seeds for future genocidal conflicts, and then when all else failed, threw anyone who disagreed into concentration camps, including Jewish refugees during WWII.
Edit- this is skipping over their involvement in the trans-Atlantic slave trade until they decided it was more profitable to setup plantations in Africa and their being the party during the Haitian Revolution most invested in there not being one.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You have a thing alright I don't want to speculate what it is really though.
Go ahead. I prefer it to being British and a Tory. Nothing could be worse than that grievous insult.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

Look, can we agree that all empires are evil, but some are more evil than others?

Also:

if it's found they aren't asylum seekers,
As of 2018, about 60% of "asylum seekers" trying to enter Europe don't meet the definition, but are rather economic migrants. Also predominantly men.

We can debate the morality of offshore detention, but if the definition of asylum is extended to poor economic conditions in one's home country, then, yeah.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Go ahead. I prefer it to being British and a Tory. Nothing could be worse than that grievous insult.
So not American Fundamentalist Christian Trump supporter?

Looks at thread...

Look, can we agree that all empires are evil, but some are more evil than others?

Also:

As of 2018, about 60% of "asylum seekers" trying to enter Europe don't meet the definition, but are rather economic migrants. Also predominantly men.

We can debate the morality of offshore detention, but if the definition of asylum is extended to poor economic conditions in one's home country, then, yeah.
Yeh things is that also accounts for a lot of people if you change it to those definitions and causes issues in said countries to get worse by allowing easier movement of professionals to other countries.

It sounds great until you realise you're basically taking all the good doctors, researchers, professionals and skilled workers from those countries just because your nation happens to be richer which means their own nations don't have the people to build up the infrastructure to help actually make the country more prosperous thus creating a vicious cycle a lot of the time.

Also technically anyone who lands on UK soil and says they want to claim Asylum has to be processed which can take a while as it require tracking down where they are from, relatives they claim to have, countries they claim to come from and a number of the illegitimate ones will destroy their documents before reaching the UK. While legitimate ones might have had people trying to steal any documents they do have.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
This idea and the camps at the border of the US are concentration camps
This is seperate from a Gulag/work camp/ normal US prison
And seperate again is Gitmo. You can't tell me that many of those tortured didn't die. I'm call that a Death Camp

Just for clarity for my impression of the situation. This isn't as bad as Gitmo

She's Pritti terrible
Maybe not as bad as GITMO, but the same premise that because it is off US soil the constitution doesn't apply, so what is allowed/not allowed to happen there varies by whose administration is in control so abuse can happen if you have an administration who condones such abuse or is willing to turn a blind eye.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oliver Cromwell says hi. Also if you're going to do a genocide taking all of a country's food and leaving them with nothing but blighted potatoes is a good way to do it. Convincing the world that it was just because we only ever ate potatoes was a nice touch.
Cromwell's war in Ireland was unusual for the times; conflicts like the 30 Years War or Great Northern War were accompanied by similar butchery, rapine and disruption that devastated the populations where the war was conducted. On the other hand, Cromwell was a deeply shitty human being who particularly hated Catholics, so I feel no great need to excuse him for his brutality.

The Great Famine was surely not intentional and the British government did in fact attempt policies to alleviate it, which were variously inadequate or miscarried - although in substantial part due to ignorance and a much more general poor and neglectful governance of Ireland that reflects extremely poorly on British rule. Arguably, it's the first great disaster of laissez-faire capitalism: the government held the theory that the market would provide: at that point, there was no precedent to show otherwise. But they did learn a lession, as reforms, social improvements and better policy averted disaster when blight returned in the 1870s.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Bit of a disservice to throw China in there as though it were comparable.

The Britbong thing is shitty, yes, but it's not "imprisoning an entire minority group then harvesting their organs and hair" kind of shitty.

League of their own right there.
I mean, the US has a site for people they capture from around the world to torture. Without any trial etc.

Because nothing says Freedom like Extra-Judicial killings based on flimsy evidence

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
She's Pritti terrible
Priti Patel is probably the cabinet minister I hate most. You can see the smugness, lack of empathy, harshness and intolerance just drip from her. Before politics, she did PR for - of all employers - the tobacco industry, and once in Parliament continued to shill for them despite their decades of misconduct, and the toll of respiratory and cardiovascular disease on addicted smokers. She has a sense of entitlement common to many Tory MPs that the rules don't apply to people like them: she knowingly breached ministerial rules before now led to Theresa May firing her. The bullying reflects not only her mile-wide authoritarian streak and sense of self-importance, but also I think that she's out of her depth, promoted way above her ability, and in fear and insecurity lashes out at her staff to assert dominance as some sort of compensation.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Priti Patel is probably the cabinet minister I hate most. You can see the smugness, lack of empathy, harshness and intolerance just drip from her. Before politics, she did PR for - of all employers - the tobacco industry, and once in Parliament continued to shill for them despite their decades of misconduct, and the toll of respiratory and cardiovascular disease on addicted smokers. She has a sense of entitlement common to many Tory MPs that the rules don't apply to people like them: she knowingly breached ministerial rules before now led to Theresa May firing her. The bullying reflects not only her mile-wide authoritarian streak and sense of self-importance, but also I think that she's out of her depth, promoted way above her ability, and in fear and insecurity lashes out at her staff to assert dominance as some sort of compensation.
LOL I can't stand her and I am not even in the UK. Every time I have seen her speak, she just comes across as a truly vile person. Like even worse than this..

I read the woman who played the witch though was very kind, compassionate and giving person. Unlike Priti Patel.. Who seems like a genuine monster.
EDIT FOUND THIS:OH this is so appropriate:

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Cromwell's war in Ireland was unusual for the times; conflicts like the 30 Years War or Great Northern War were accompanied by similar butchery, rapine and disruption that devastated the populations where the war was conducted. On the other hand, Cromwell was a deeply shitty human being who particularly hated Catholics, so I feel no great need to excuse him for his brutality.
Unusual or not it was still a British backed attempt to wipe out Irish Catholics en masse and replace them with some fine upstanding protestants.

The Great Famine was surely not intentional and the British government did in fact attempt policies to alleviate it, which were variously inadequate or miscarried - although in substantial part due to ignorance and a much more general poor and neglectful governance of Ireland that reflects extremely poorly on British rule.
The British actively tried to block other nations sending food to our aid and Turkey was all but told that they shouldn't send as much money as they had planned because the Queen had sent less and it would be an insult. The British didn't orchestrate the potato blight, but the famine that followed from it was very much an attempt to wipe out as many Irish Catholics as humanly possible. They didn't have to take all of our other crops and produce and leave us with nothing but blighted potatoes. Modest estimates are that 1 million people died. Chalking it up to mismanagement is insulting and naive. How many 1000's or 100000's die before it stops being considered an accident?

Arguably, it's the first great disaster of laissez-faire capitalism: the government held the theory that the market would provide: at that point, there was no precedent to show otherwise. But they did learn a lession, as reforms, social improvements and better policy averted disaster when blight returned in the 1870s.
Laissez-faire capitalism? The British had all our food.

I mean as an aside, do you think the Irish language all but disappeared because we just really liked the letter K?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I need to know who else is on the list of people I'm not allowed to say I don't mind dying before I join in here. But if Churchill were alive, he'd be on the list.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I need to know who else is on the list of people I'm not allowed to say I don't mind dying before I join in here. But if Churchill were alive, he'd be on the list.
The list is pretty long. Last I checked, it was over 7 billion.

Giant Meteor 2020

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble