British Media Stops Claiming GTA Caused Riots (Sorta)

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Yea, I grew up on Pacman, and now I want to live the glamorous lifestyle.

omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Ah, The Daily Fail. Where would we be without you and Faux News?

A much better place, that's where...

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I get the feeling "video games" is going to be the new schtick.
"Got a ticket for being caught drinking and driving. Well you must play Video games."
"Set off fireworks illegally? Well you must play video games."
"You went swimming in your bathing suit? Well you must play video games."
"You got cancer? Well then you must play video games."

No to be mean but, I expect that someone, somewhere working for fox or a news paper is writing this in an article.

"Video Games and the Horrors it brings to your children."
e_e

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Funny, that last quote didn't make me think "games r bad" it made me think "parent suck and watching age ratings" and they do!

It's nice to see that other media outlets have enough wits to mercilessly slam this yellow journalism and force a reprint. At least the news knows that games aren't the devil.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
It's too bad that CoD or GTA wasn't around in 1981, otherwise they could have blamed videogames for the Brixton riots as well.

ACM_Shadow

Aug 6, 2009
"A policeman said last night that children involved in the rioting and stealing were inspired by violent video game Grand Theft Auto.

"The hugely popular computer game, which should not be played or bought by anyone under 18, is popular among teenagers, with many having the game given to them by their parents.

so if this is the case presented by the "policeman" shouldn't the blame be on the parents for letting them play it, after all, they aren't meant to be able to purchase the game

PS:Mister Benoit love that avatar (also suits pacman, needs caps though)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
To any non-UK people who don't know about the Daily Mail. Basically, if Fox News did a newspaper (I don't know if they actually do), then it would be the Daily Mail. Don't worry about it, no one actually reads the Mail anyway, so it's all good.

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
I grew up with Mario... why do I get the sudden urge to jump on toadstools and turtles while eating mushrooms? how 'bout metroid? where's my high-tech space suit?! but of course, pacman... eating balls why running away from ghosts... okay... that's pretty accurate... I guess... the running away from ghosts part then. but yeah... blame the games, they're the cause of everything!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Anyone else annoyed at the extremely sarcastic and sometimes downright insulting tone the Escapist takes at times when the media blames video games?

While Jim does have a point that sinking down to their level does get effects I really think this is something that should be done by individual users and not by sites such as the Escapist. I think it undermines their professionalism.