British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Oh look, more attention-grabbing sensationalistic titles with content from the Sun.
I enjoy a lot of the Escapists's content, but this sort of nonsense really is tiring.

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
Aidinthel said:
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.
the sun is even worse than the dailymail so basicly its a tabloid wich is only famous for bad storys and "page 3" girls (nude pics)

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I don't believe a word she says. I've been playing videogames since I was a kid and I never had any impaired reasoning because of this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw this penguin into the washing machine while the monkeys play the harpoon. Shpoople!

Seriously, though, I'm going to expect a wave of people just out right disagreeing with her claims for all of the wrong reasons. I do believe that games can cause some negative side effects, especially with children, but I've seen a lot of gamers ignoring that and just disowning said claims, saying that games are just being used as a scapegoat.

Granted, Dr. Goldacre seemed to have put the baroness in her place by saying that if it is a legitimate concern, she should present it in a more academically mature manner. Still, I predict lots of people just coming to this thread and complaining how games/gamers are being treated.

That, or lots of people wondering what the hell that picture is about. Seriously, Cavalli, what the crap?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I stopped reading at "The Sun".

Honestly. I wouldn't believe what I read is written in The Sun even if I had previously believed it.

I just hope they don't learn of this and use it for reverse psychology.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well I can't say these sort of comments were unexpected...

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
What? Games causing dementia? Baloney! Why, in fact, I ... wait, what was I talking about? Who are you people? Is this eBay?

OT: All minds are different. Some people can watch someone get a papercut and faint while others can watch someone get beheaded and find it amusing. Some people can use abject reasoning better than others. Some people's mental capacity deteriorates sooner than others. It all depends on the person. As for me, I've played games since I was about 5 or 6, I can still have logical, coherent thoughts.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Praise The Sun!

I'm talking about the hot goddess with huge tits from Dark Souls. Not this crock of a news agency FYI.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Dementia?
A fine price to pay for Skyrim!

Also the sun.
i was so prepared to rage over this article, but this made it better.

Still, I like the claim she makes despite all evidence to the contrary, and general intelligence.

I wanna know if she herself used the phrase "blowing the mind", in which case she clearly deserves not a barony, but a trolldom

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Oh look. People saying gaming is bad for you if you get addicted.
Isn't that a nice surprise surprise.
I did have an argument but for some odd reason I forgot it

Then again as much as I hate to admit it, I HAVE had basic signs of dementia on a simple level - forgetting things and what-not but it's not proper dementia and it's more to do with me being naturally stupid than games!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Aidinthel said:
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.

Further update: No, seriously. Please stop quoting me.
ok, i was going to quote you and say its a pile o' shittington, but you told me not to.

imnotparanoid said:
Dementia?
A fine price to pay for Skyrim!
see, thats funny because there's a place called Dementia in Oblivon.
R-D-R-R.

GrindBass

Jun 7, 2009
Also reported in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/8825655/Video-games-can-alter-childrens-brains.html

'If you [do something] to the exclusion of other things this will create a new environment that will have new effects ... every hour you [do that thing] is an hour not spent [doing something else] or [another thing].' Doing anything to the exclusion of everything else will have a negative impact on someone, the fact that she's chosen to fill in that gap with video games says more about her biases than anything else really.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I don't get these confusion gags, seriously.

A baroness is a female equivalent of a Baron- a title which is bestowed upon someone who is the child of a hereditary holder of the title, or has had it bestowed it upon them by the monarch for services to the nation.

A google search would have got that out, no?

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
GrindBass said:
Also reported in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/8825655/Video-games-can-alter-childrens-brains.html
Also right wing
Because obviously political affiliations dictate coverage of issues such as health, and the paper is not just making an objective analysis of it.

Seriously, did it say "SHE'S RIGHT"? It's reporting on the news. Like a newspaper is supposed to.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
So wait..if I play Dead Space 2, I'm getting dementia..whilst playing a game where the main character has dementia?

oh my god how did I not see this sooner???

GrindBass

Jun 7, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
GrindBass said:
Also right wing
Yes, but a little more balanced than the Sun. I wouldn't immediately dismiss something that was reported in the Telegraph.