British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ZeZZZZevy said:
So wait..if I play Dead Space 2, I'm getting dementia..whilst playing a game where the main character has dementia?

oh my god how did I not see this sooner???
We need to go deeper.

OT: Hurray for extra traffic! Also, regardless of what the other people say about your writing style, Cavalli, I still got a chuckle out of it. Though the picture is a bit odd and unexplained. I don't see how psycho killer clowns are related to psychological issues, unless it's implied that they cause them.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Aidinthel said:
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.

Further update: No, seriously. Please stop quoting me.
The Sun is tabloid newspaper famous for page 3......boobies

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
Aidinthel said:
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.

Further update: No, seriously. Please stop quoting me.
quoting you just to make you mad trollface.jpg

and what a load of shit this 'study' is

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Dementia?
A fine price to pay for Skyrim!

Also the sun.
Yep. The Sun. Or the brick, as some people call it. You can roll it up tight into a projectile weapon with enough mass to do damage. Probably because it's so full of shit.

OT: I thought she might be on to something, then it was just "gamez r addictive! SRSLY GUISE!" Games are only as liable to be as physically damaging as the televisions they're on. Last time I checked, although skinner box techniques and other such reward systems played on a simple concept of the human mind, they didn't literally rot your brain. Plus, as that linked article says, she's linked no tomato sauces! D:

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
Well it seems everyone has beaten me to the punch at saying this was printed in the sun, ingore and move on please. So yeah that's my opinion.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
AnarchistFish said:
GrindBass said:
Also reported in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/8825655/Video-games-can-alter-childrens-brains.html
Also right wing
Because obviously political affiliations dictate coverage of issues such as health, and the paper is not just making an objective analysis of it.

Seriously, did it say "SHE'S RIGHT"? It's reporting on the news. Like a newspaper is supposed to.
It's reporting on the news it wants to and in doing so, although not saying it directly, is trying to influence its readership into believing it.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Failed peer review.

May as well be bullshit in scientific terms.

To be a scientist and claim "I'm a scientists, I know whats going on" without then pointing towards your peer reviewed papers... yeah... fuck off. they're clearly doing it for political reasons and are pandering to a section of society who may give them support somewhere. This case the Sun are giving her a big package reading: Laundry, but of course containing money.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
"Baroness Greenfield's response to my concerns, and my suggestion that she should write up her concerns about computers damaging childrens' brains formally, has been to say that I am like the people who denied that smoking caused cancer. I think that's just offensive, I'm afraid, and I'd be happy to debate her sensibly and publicly at her convenience."
Except the people who were accusing ciggarettes of causing cancer had a ton of scientific research and data to back them up .... Oh the irony!

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
This depiste the PUBLISHED studies that show that video games are shown to increase cognitive abilities for senior citizens. You know...those people that are greatly prone to dementia?

Maybe it's a double negative thing. They already have dementia and the games give them so much dementia their dementia odometers roll over. Or maybe the dementias cancel each other out. A double negative type thing.

What a moron.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
My parents don't read that bollocks, so I'm OK. Think about this: If a kids parents read the sun, what are the chances they'll bother pulling their kids away? What are the chances their kids will obey?

Actual Charlie Nash

Jul 9, 2008
the sun eh?
now as a person from england i understand how reliable the sun can be. they have a track record of good deci- boobs.

but serious. its a tabloid. Not the most reliable thing to read

Actual Charlie Nash

Jul 9, 2008
the sun eh?
now as a person from england i understand how reliable the sun can be. they have a track record of good deci- boobs.

but serious. its a tabloid. get it? i made a joke about forgetting stuff due to playing video games ^_^

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
Reads post, looks down at source, see's it the sun, laughs and immediately deletes and discounts all knoweldge of this post.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
I pity the child whose 'mother' reads this then takes his DS off him.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
She just wants publicity and money. Not necessarily in that order but they are connected. And luckily for her, this world is filled with idiots who will believe anything that sounds bad. Seriously, the worse the news is, the more people will believe in it. It's fascinating.