British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Lim3 said:
She got served by Dr. Ben Goldacre.

In any event i think saying addiction is a bit much; i get addicted to new games for short periods of time, but appart from that I'm fine.
Interestingly, extremely hard core internet users activate neurological pathways highly similar to those seen in substance abuse. Unlike the baroness, I will actually cite source: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0020708

The study cannot be expanded to games in general. And where does the baroness go wrong? She extends the conclusion of the study she cites (namely, the same one I just looked at) which had to do specifically with internet addicts using the net 10 hours a day. In other words, people who already have some kind of recognized deviancy. Nor can you then equate that to another activity, such as gaming (though the majority of the study participants' time online was gaming, so...) Yes, she's grossly overreaching, and has stated she is pointing out a correlation which she cannot prove is causal. Yes, she's almost certainly overreacting like no body's business.

Yet you know what? Most of the responses on this thread are far worse science.

Yes. Someone says something that disagrees with your established point of view; immediately post "She's dumb, the Sun is an awful paper, etc." If this is you, you have no business criticizing anyone else on the grounds of sloppy science.

Now that I've alienated -everyone-, I'll sit in my corner alone.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
A child would rather play video games and watch TV than do homework or other non-entertaining things. Clearly this must mean dementia. There is no other explanation.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I do not think games have been out long enough for anyone to be able to come up with that conclusion, not to mention all of the other factors that are running wild in our world. Stress, Unnatural and repetitively unregulated chemicals in food, Radiation levels, drugs legal and none, and so much more.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Fuck The Sun. They would come out with something like this. What else do you expect from a Rupert Murdoch tabloid? Biased, scaremongering crock of shit
so..it literally is fox new put to paper then.

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
Right; I just want to clear up a few things.

One, Baroness Greenfield is Professor of Synaptic Pharmacology at Lincoln College, Oxford. She's incredibly well educated and is a leading researcher in her field. Two, while she's a 'Baroness', all that means is that she's a Life Peer; someone who has been asked to sit in the House of Lords by the Government and the Lord's Select Committee usually because they want them in Government, are senior members of a party or have been recognised as having a select skill or knowledge that is wanted in Parliament. They are given a title due because you need one to sit in the Lords (These life peers make up the vast majority of Peers in the House of Lords, by the way). It's called a Life Peer because the title only lasts for the individual's life, it's not hereditary and indeed her father was an Electrician.

Why is this done? It's just one of those quirks of the Uncodified British Constitution. So while she is technically a Baroness and a politician, she only got those things because she's a member of the scientific community. Not that this makes her right, but it needs to be recognised.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
..."Screen technologies cause high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more screen-based activity," Greenfield claims...
Two can play at that game Baroness. Its time for another round of baseless "SCIEEEEEEENCE"!

Claim 1. "Sun Exposure causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more sun exposure activity," gbemery claims.

Claim 2. "Writing causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more pen and paper-based activities," gbemery claims.

Claim 3. "Sex causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more bedroom, kitchen, shower, automobile, sometimes public-based activities of varying degrees of restraint, positions, and fantasies," gbemery claims.

Claim 4. "Thinking of things to randomly put here causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more ranting-based activities," gbemery claims.

Now someone publish my "scientific" claims of which I have no evidence of any kind....that I'm willing to publish because it should all be so obviously obvious, and lets take lunch...man "science" is hard sometimes.

Sep 14, 2009
gbemery said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
..."Screen technologies cause high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more screen-based activity," Greenfield claims...
Two can play at that game Baroness. Its time for another round of baseless "SCIEEEEEEENCE"!

Claim 1. "Sun Exposure causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more sun exposure activity," gbemery claims.

Claim 2. "Writing causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more pen and paper-based activities," gbemery claims.

Claim 3. "Sex causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more bedroom, kitchen, shower, automobile, sometimes public-based activities of varying degrees of restraint, positions, and fantasies," gbemery claims.

Claim 4. "Thinking of things to randomly put here causes high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more ranting-based activities," gbemery claims.

Now someone publish my "scientific" claims of which I have no evidence of any kind....that I'm willing to publish because it should all be so obviously obvious, and lets take lunch...man "science" is hard sometimes.
lololl nice

perhaps the up and coming new newspaper, The Moon, would publish your thoughts?

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
MaxwellEdison said:
The Sun, someone who calls themselves a Baroness, and no data cited.

Damn, I'm convinced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Greenfield,_Baroness_Greenfield

>Susan Adele Greenfield, Baroness Greenfield, CBE[1] (born 1 October 1950) is a British scientist, writer, broadcaster, and member of the House of Lords. Greenfield, whose specialty is the physiology of the brain, has worked to research and bring attention to Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

>Greenfield is Professor of Synaptic Pharmacology at Lincoln College, Oxford. On 1 February 2006, she was installed as Chancellor of Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. Until 8 January 2010, she was director of the Royal Institution of Great Britain, but following a review,[2] she was made redundant.[3]

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
That's a pretty damning claim, but then again, Greenfield is a baroness (seriously, what does that mean?).
It means that she is the hereditary heir to a Barony - a section of land. I'd guess that she is the Baroness of Greenfield, wherever that is.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I've been playing games since I was around 5 years old, yet I'm attending university and frequently got high grades in high school. So then why am i not drooling constantly and unable to think? Because nothing in The Sun should be taken seriously.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
That doesn't seem right.... what do you think Gordon?

*looks at right side in expectations of Gordon Freeman to be there*

Oh.... wait... nvm... Even if Gordon was here he wouldn't be able to give an opinion... he never talks does he Link?

*Looks at Left side for same effect*

Ehrm... i think i'm already crazy...

Crazy enough to recognize this master piece of journalism and this "Scientific Theory"... i think our equal crazy levels of me, the baroness and The Sun (the troll newspaper) would do just fine :D

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
this.

Obviously, since this is against forum rules, I need to substantiate this: games produce mental activity within the brain, which is not only more beneficial for brain activity than television, but can also, with certain games, be more effective than other non-game stimuli in activating certain areas of the brain that non-game activities. Especially if the people involved in the game are predisposed towards visual learning.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
LOLCANO! The article's picture! DX

But yes, it is all true. Now excuse me while I go find my pink elephant. He's invisible to everyone but me, you see, and we're late for this appointment we have the with the Baroness Nimcompoop of Shlooberryland. We're gonna have a churro party with Elvis...while playing Mario Bros.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
War Penguin said:
I don't believe a word she says. I've been playing videogames since I was a kid and I never had any impaired reasoning because of this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw this penguin into the washing machine while the monkeys play the harpoon. Shpoople!
I'm a physics major, so do the monkeys playing the harpoon have any impact on the penguin in the washing machine? If so, have the monkeys observed the penguins before playing the harpoon? Is the uncertainty between whether the penguin and its position in the washing machine times the uncertainty of the position of the monkeys playing the harpoon greater than ħ/2? This is very important.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Dementia? Caused by Videogames?
This is most wonderful indeed!
In fact that's the best news I have ever heard!

I could forget finally that I ever played Starcraft, Masters of Orion 2 and DukeNukem 3d and enjoy them all over again.
At last I could forget how awful some videogames are and never need to think of them again (like Masters of Orion III, World of Warcraft, Halo or any of the new Civ series)
I finally could get rid of all those everyday nonsense memories, about my job, my GlaDOS-like future mother-in-law and all the chores I have to endure to get the money to pay for my games.

This is trully terrific.
Alzheimer, here I come.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
War Penguin said:
I don't believe a word she says. I've been playing videogames since I was a kid and I never had any impaired reasoning because of this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw this penguin into the washing machine while the monkeys play the harpoon. Shpoople!
I'm a physics major, so do the monkeys playing the harpoon have any impact on the penguin in the washing machine? If so, have the monkeys observed the penguins before playing the harpoon?
There's not a direct impact when the penguin enters the machine. The monkeys don't observe the machine but the sound of the machine with the penguin in it affects the way they play the harpoon.
Is the uncertainty between whether the penguin and its position in the washing machine times the uncertainty of the position of the monkeys playing the harpoon greater than ħ/2?
It's a common misconception that the whole equation is greater than ħ/2, but the truth is that it's actually less than ħ/2. Lot's of people forget to carry the 4.
This is very important.
I totally agree and I'm glad you came to me for answers.

[sub][sub]By the way, I was totally expecting to get disowned by my post all day, and when I saw this quote, I got the greatest sense of relieve. Thanks for that. :D[/sub][/sub]