British Student Loses Extradition Battle Over Copyright Violation

Sep 14, 2009
wow that blows.

still, a bit funny, on the SOPA articles i remember reading about some uk citizens saying "hahaha like i give a fuck, i'm not a US citizen"

to that, i say LOL, doesn't matter apparently. that shit needs to be burned in hell.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
wow, now the US thinks it has the authority to try someone from across the pond? They should get over their fucking selves, this is giving many americans a terrible image

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Just tell them to try and take one of our citizens with this weak excuse, you want him that bad? Then invade and completely destroy any favourable opinions of you. Either that or fuck off and stop bullying people.

bungle

Nov 20, 2011
This will be dragged out so long that the US will have nothing to gain from any possible prosecution. Firstly an appeal will be lodges with the court, should that fail any good defence lawyer would take it straight to the European Court of Human Rights, probably taking up another 2-3 years. All the while his local MP will be bombarded with so many e-mails it would have to be brought up in a parliamentary meeting, possibly going up in the house of lords.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
If the U.S. government's trying to make me openly despise America, they're doing quite a decent job at it.
I hope human rights groups are going to jump into action over this. This is the equivalent to extraordinary rendition except the U.S. is conducting it in broad daylight.

Mar 30, 2010
£10 says that now the SOPA bill has been blocked and the US no longer needs a sacrificial lamb to cement it the guy will be allowed to be tried in the UK.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Speaking AS a man living in America...

This is a really shitty thing to demand extradition for. Go find those yahoos that cause actual damage or are inherently malicious. What's this? White collar crime and the matter of whether it's actually criminal in question? Pathetic. By god, find something better to do with your time. Entertainment is not worth pulling a guy out of the country for.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
This is an absolute disgrace. Genuinely, this is just horrible. He hasn't committed a crime over here, he hasn't even been to the USA, and he hasn't committed a crime in the US, since his site wasn't on USA servers.

I hope he wins the appeal, otherwise we're pretty much saying to the USA that they can take anyone they want. Soon they'll have Torrenters deported so they can sue them in US courts.

Synyster

Madman with a laptop
Jul 20, 2011
so anything with the suffix of .com or .net falls under US jurisdiction, unless they have another suffix along the lines of .uk (which I know they do) or something like .com.au or whatever, this means that pretty much everything on the internet that isn't privately owned by a corporation or government body (i.e. .org or .gov) falls under US jurisdiction regardless of the server location, that seems fair, (sarcasm) so America isn't content on policing world politics now it wants to police the internet too, just because they can..... Had the server been located in the US i would understand but this is just ridiculous, if this goes forward, the US will essentially have free reign to prosecute who they please so long as they have a website....

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This is bullshit. This reminds me of the autistic kid in Europe who hacked into the US to find out about aliens. I hate how my country is such a huge dick. Sorry guys.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Before all the "America is policing the world" comments come in, just remember britian could have told us to fuck off, but they chose not to. You can only police the world when the world lets you.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I like how the UK gives us their own citizen without any fight and the US is suddenly the bad guy. Every country makes outrageous demands, the only time it becomes insane is when the other country gives in to their demand. What are we going to do, invade the UK for one nutty teen? No. What people should be up in arms about is how the United Kingdom government is willing to just give up the kid without a fight.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
I didn't want to have to do this again in my life, but here goes... yet another apology from the US (normal citizens mind you... not the government) to the rest of the internet.

I (as a normal citizen) feel the need to apologize for the acts of our dickish politicians and the stupid f*cked up laws they decide the rest of the world needs.

If you're a US politician reading this... I have a few words for you. Although, saying them would most definitely get me banned immediately from this site, and probably arrested (and held indefinitely because of that stupid NDAA law). So, with that in mind Mr. US Politician, I'd like to meet you in a dark alley next week, so we may 'hash out' these issues. Just be sure you've brought the marshmallows. I'll bring the chainsaw.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the sheer ignorance of the "You can't be charged with a crime unless you committed it in that particular country."
Seriously has no one heard of international copyright agreements and copyright infringement laws? You know the ones where a bunch of countries came together and agreed to uphold the other's copyrights?
But if you think otherwise I invite you to start mass producing your own iPads and selling them in your respective nation; because well they're and American company so screw them right?
Seriously this isn't a question of America playing freaking world police, its a case of the guy broke in one country's mind some copyright violations, the country he is located in is like well we don't really have an answer to trial this guy. But according to agreements the other country has the legal right to go after the guy; thus the country (UK) allowing the guy to be extradited.
If you have a problem with this then go to your government and petition them to abolish the trade agreements (hint no one is going to take you seriously).

Seriously, this guy made a profit over someone else's work; seriously 15k a month and the site was up for how long? And the people suing him are doing it according to the law and yet its a case of screw the victim?

I'm curious if this is just another case of bash America because you can, if this took place between two other countries everyone would probably be like, eh whatever. But omg it is the USA the devil of the world who is oppressing us every second of our lives!!!