British Tabloid Blames Grand Theft Auto For Submarine Rampage

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
May I remind all escapists that the daily mirror is the fox news of Britain. 100% of it's stories are completely untrue, and hilariously so.

The daily mirror is bought by people who want to lol.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Davih said:
It was on the front page of the metro as well. Yay for bus papers!
It was? Don't remember seeing that. Then again, I don't think I recall actually picking up a Metro today. Though I hear they have different editions for different parts of our prosperous nation.

*ahem*

But yeh, no surprise with an article like this. They must have a template for these stories that they can run off on short notice.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009

Because, sitting on a vessel under water for extended periods of time doesn't mess with your head.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Well the Daily Mirror isn't the best paper around, but it's certainly no Fox News), so I'd say this isn't really just mindless scape-goating if the killer did actually use such words.

Also:
Earnest Cavalli said:
And why was that sidebar necessary anyway? Do the suddenly terrified geriatric readers of the Daily Mirror not know what Grand Theft Auto is? You don't see an aside explaining "Gordon Ramsay," "badger" or "sex dwarf" in that recent Sunday Sport piece [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/16/percy-foster-dead_n_962667.html], do you?
No, I doubt geriatric readers of the Daily Mirror would be all that familiar with GTA. They are probably familiar with Mr Ramsay, Badgers, Sex and Dwarves though, so not really sure what your point is there...

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Why, when ever video games are brought up as a cause for a violent event like this, do they always have some line about points?
/rage VIDEO GAMES DONT(for the most part) HAVE POINTS ANY MORE!!!!! Points are as much a part of modren video games as carberators are to modren cars!!!

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
"He started talking about Grand Theft Auto where you start a massacre and rack up points by killing," Lickley adds.
I don't seem to remember this in any Grand Theft Auto game I've played. I mainly remember killing a pedestrian only to have cops chase after me, leading to many frustrating crashes and deaths.[footnote]Unless he was playing GTA 3 with those rampage side quests.[/footnote]
I wait for the day someone says that the news inspired them to kill. How fun would that be? Ban the news!

Marudas said:
The only thing this article wants to do is get you angry. For them, angry pissed off people are a form of traffic.

Press X to Ignore and move on.
Argh! Quick time events!

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
This surprises me greatly.. The US military does extensive psychiatric tests on a person before they let them onto a submarine, I assumed other countries were similar.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I almost didn't want to deliver that newspaper when I saw it in my bag for my paper round. I'd be doing them a favour, saving them a few brain cells.