Brits Prepare for EMP Blasts, Solar Flares

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
HOORAY FOR A NEW DARK AGE!
OT: I've heard about this before, and it's really disturbing to think of what could happen if the supposed EMP did hit. If a big enough solar flare hit, we wouldn't just be without technology; we'd essentially be without order. We'd be cast into an age of chaos.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Well, I should start building a cage for my computer, sending my address to all my net friends for another the apoc and buying seeds and axes, just in case.

Even though I'm only half joking, I am serious worried about this. We have a ELECTRONICS in our houses. Computers are massively powerful. Are we going to start seeing house set on fire?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Agayek said:
Wicky_42 said:
Well, one key issue there is that we wouldn't be able to replace the transformers in anything like a reasonable timescale. In event of such a catastrophe, there's not much scope for recovery in a timescale that would avert panic.

No fridges or freezers, main communications out, water pumps off, no electrical lighting or heating. No electronic payments. No computer coordination of anything from banking to traffic lights. Police radios would probably work until the battery runs flat, so perhaps there'd be some law and order presence initially, but with the majority of people unable to work, access their money, use the money they have or store fresh food you're not going to have a civilised experience.

It's an eventuality that's quite scary to contemplate, really, and one that the ordinary person can't really do much to deal with, save actually getting their apocalypse plan dusted off and stocking up on non-perishable foods.
Very true, there would be quite a bit of unrest about it. Replacing all of the infrastructure would take quite a bit of time, if we're lucky, it'd be fully restored in a year or two, but that's an optimistic estimation at best.

That said, the core of our civilization would survive intact. The average person would be without power yes, and the price of generators would skyrocket, but anyone who owns a generator or a wind turbine or possibly even solar panels, would be just fine. They would have to see a drastic decrease in their power consumption obviously, as it would be prohibitively expensive/unfeasible to generate the normal level of electricity used by the average household, but they'd be able to keep the fridge running at least (assuming it wasn't knocked out in the EMP, the odds of which are somewhere between unlikely and moderately likely).

The biggest problems will be:
1) Current power grid will cease to function for some time

2) Long-range communication will be difficult, since many of the antennas, transmitters and receivers will have been fried.

3) Civil unrest about the lack of conveniences

It's certainly something to prepare for, but it's definitely recoverable and it's most certainly not apocalyptic.
Well what are the odds of a GLOBAL EMP event? I mean if 1/5th of the USA gets hit by an EMP or EMP event then it would take alto less time to get things back on track since everybody around the damaged area would be able to organise and assist with food/deliveries and get personel on site to fix things up.

Thats why if its not GLOBAL i think we are going to be okay. Now i think the real issue would be with less advanced and poorer countries. That would not have enough educated workers to deal with the situation and/or money to replace the damaged properties. Then outsiders would need to come but you know . . . having foreigners fixing your entire infrastructure isnt exactly intelligence friendly from a militaristic point of view. . . .

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Might I just suggest that if everyone doesn't already have one, that you go out and purchase a fire extinguisher? "Shit bursting into flames and killing everyone" isn't a scenario I want playing out on my workbench five feet from where I sleep, so I know I'm stocking up. Other than that, guess it's time to start turning my house into one big 'ol Faraday cage.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
Sixcess said:
In 1859, a major solar storm known as the Carrington event occurred. English astronomer Richard Christopher Carrington saw a large bright spot on the Sun and a few days later as the wave of energy hit the Earth and knocked out the most advanced technology of the era - the telegraph. Telegraph workers reported disruption of services, some even being shocked through the equipment and telegraph paper spontaneously igniting into flame.
Sir,

What a simply extraordinary story. Indeed it sounds like something from the splendid speculative fictions of Mr. H.G. Wells.

I would like to think that gentlemen of science, in top hats and steam powered space rockets, took appropriate steps to prevent such an event from recurring. That is certainly what Her Majesty's Government should do now.
Actually, the flare did happen. Most telegraph offices reported that their electrical equipment either exploded or simply melted, starting fires. The auras that the flare created were so bright that workers as far south as Colorado woke up, thinking it was dawn. We're talking about billions of charged particles suddenly hitting the earth, and charged particles look for good conductors to latch onto, like power grids and electronic devices. If another one hit, conservative estimates put our recovery time to about ten years before we get power back to most regions.
10 years with out internets?

God help us all...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Quick, someone protect all the surveillance equipment or if an EMP hits London all hell's going to break loose.
We're dooooooooomed!

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
"For God sakes, don't do it, Snake!"
"The name's Plissken."
*pushes the button*

Heh, I wonder what country will be invaded on charges of possessing large and unverified quantities of EMPs.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Rainboq said:
Actually, solar flares are a legitimate threat, we've just been dodging bullets since we hit the electronic revolution. If a major flare were to hit, conservative estimates say that it'd take a good decade before we recovered, since ALL ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS would basically surge with power for the duration of the storm, blowing out not only all our transformers, but anything with an integrated circuit board would cease to function entirely. That means unless your computer runs on vacuum tubes, it'd be fried.
Your kinda' forgetting the many buildings the west have constructed with metal shielding that absorbs static charges, grounding them, and prevent the magnetic fields from passing through into the shell interior.

Sure they're a threat but not ALL technology will be annihilated, nor will it set us back 10 years. I'd say 4 at the absolute tops. WE don't have to re-develop old stuff, we just have to get mass-production computers going again; we certainly don't have to re-wire, it's just embedded circuits in computer hardware that need replacing.

EDIT: and maybe printers too. They could ignite if the circuit sparked.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Azmael Silverlance said:
Well what are the odds of a GLOBAL EMP event? I mean if 1/5th of the USA gets hit by an EMP or EMP event then it would take alto less time to get things back on track since everybody around the damaged area would be able to organise and assist with food/deliveries and get personel on site to fix things up.

Thats why if its not GLOBAL i think we are going to be okay. Now i think the real issue would be with less advanced and poorer countries. That would not have enough educated workers to deal with the situation and/or money to replace the damaged properties. Then outsiders would need to come but you know . . . having foreigners fixing your entire infrastructure isnt exactly intelligence friendly from a militaristic point of view. . . .
If it's a solar surge, it's going to be very large. If it's a solar surge on the scale they're predicting, it's going to be global. That's just how these things work.

If it's a human-driven event, then it's going to be localized and easily recoverable. Everything I've listed is for a global EMP, worst case scenario.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Well how about Cars? Like cars that havent been started in a day or two? Would those be affected since there will be hardly any active electricity running through them right?

Then it would be simple charge from a generator to get them running? Or maybe even that wont be neccesery?
I reckon it will still be very bad even if some cars and trucks can operate.
I remember as a kid we didnt have cell phones yet in mass production they came a bit later when i was in high school but man i really can imagine lifestyle with absolutely nothing since even land line phones will be out . . . . TV which means no mass media news that tells us whats going to happen. . . .

Not to mention that crime will rise . . . i mean how will we report stuff and police will be busy with other things no doubt. Meh i hope im dead when a global EMP happens.

Also would information stored in computers destroyed if they are offline?

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Rebuilding vast portions of the worlds electronics? That should help sort out our economic woes at least.

OT: I plan to nick a horse, paint it yellow and start a taxi business. Maybe get a fleet.